Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking into purchasing my first Subaru (Ascent), but I’m seeing a lot of talk about people purchasing extended warranties with their new Subarus. I’m coming from a Toyota (2007 RAV4) and I have almost 200k miles on it and haven’t really had to many issues with it besides maybe 2 or 3 after I hit 100k, which is about the same with my 95 Acura integra I had before that. I never purchased a warranty on those vehicles and they held up pretty well. So my question is, do I need to worry about having major issues with a Subaru before 100k? I see a lot of old Subaru’s on the road and I see Subaru saying “97% of Subaru vehicles sold in the last 10 years are still on the road today.” I wasn’t planning on buying an extended warranty since I was hoping a $40k Japanese vehicle would be dependable; should I think otherwise?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Metrics indicate no real need to be concerned. Gold plus plan covers more items than original warranty including wear items. Some owners prefer to have peace of mind like any insurance. The high tech vehicles are becoming expensive to repair if something does go wrong so it only takes sometimes one to two repairs to recoup cost.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We didn’t see the need for our Crosstrek base model. Simple car. For our Limited Ascent, the tech seemed expensive to repair if and when things go wrong as the car starts getting older. We extended our warranty for that reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our ‘09 Forester which gave us very little trouble aside from leaky head gaskets. They never affected its dependability (except for the mess it made). This summer it was time for it to be replaced by an Ascent. The sales manager tried to sell us all of the warranties and protection plans which I flatly refused. It was interesting to watch his demeanor turn to one of irritation as they know better than anyone that these plans generate a lot of profit. Our experience so far with Subaru (🤞🤞) has been good, and I expect the Ascent to be the same.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
Folks buy extended service contracts all the time on pretty much any kind of new vehicle. It's a personal choice. Some folks believe in insurance to cover out of warranty repair expenses when they are going to hold a vehicle long term and some folks prefer to self-insure. The fact that folks buy contracts isn't necessarily reflective of expectations with a specific vehicle and more and more it's about the expense of repairing/replacing the advanced tech on pretty much anything new on the road.

Subarus are generally very reliable and known for long term viability. Like any vehicle, there are always some things that happen with a subset of the total, often more prevalent in first model year for a given generation than later on. That's the auto business as a whole. And you have to be careful making a determination from online discussion forums, too...the appearance can be skewed because those who do have problems tend to be a lot more vocal than those who are out happily driving around with zero or little issues.

My MY19 Ascent has been essentially problem free over 22K miles. I did replace the tires early, but that was because of picking up three pieces of metal in one just beyond the point where a single tire replacement was possible. Otherwise, just normal maintenance and excellent performance.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
321 Posts
I'm accustomed to keeping cars for a long time, 10, 20 years or more. I have bought reliable brands like Lexus, Toyota and Mazda. This is our first Subaru and it's also or first car with technology beyond airbags, antilock brakes, stability and traction control. The Mazda at nearly 11 years old needed its first actual repair (a/c evaporator -expensive, lots of labor removing entire dash and console). Everything else has been normal maintenance items. I don't scrimp. The engines with timing belts got the belts and front of engine full overhauls on schedule. I expect the Ascent to be mechanically as reliable as the others.

Regarding the Ascent's technology, I'm not so certain. I didn't buy the warranty up front because I wanted to see how reliable our Accent will be. We also wanted to see if we like the Accent enough to keep it as long as we're accustomed. We have 3 years to decide so we'll see. If there was a warranty that covered just the electronic control systems I'd probably get it. Willing to self insure for mechanical issues since I can do a lot of repairs myself. Cars are a very harsh environment for electronics plus there's software bugs that can occur which might not be dealer flashable in the future so replacement parts might be needed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have 3 years to decide so we'll see.
This is my plan as well. One year down, two to go. That will be decision time. There are benefits to buying it now such as rental car coverage and locking in the price. Those aren't worth it to me right now though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Powertrain Limited Warranty 5/60 , if you don't trust a car before 3/36 is UP you can still buy same warranty , If I don't trust the car I likely just change it before 5/60 instead of spending 3-6 month of payments on the "OLD" car

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Ascent is the first new vehicle where I'm giving serious consideration to getting an extended warranty, mainly due to the level of complexity compared to all our previous vehicles. There's just a lot more that can go wrong.

Fondly remeniscing of my first car in the late '60s; it had no power anything (not steering, brakes, windows, door latches...) and literally no electronics, not even a radio. No tubes, transistors or even diodes. Electrical system was a generator, electromechanical regulator, and a battery. Ignition system was a distributor, points, condenser, ignition coil and plugs. All gauges were mechanical (speedo, tach) or hydraulic (water temp, oil pressure). Other than lights, there was nothing else that was electrical. Def not a lot to go wrong, though stuff did more frequently than modern cars, but it sure was easy to troubleshoot and fix.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) from geico. Don't need any other $100 deductible if I should ever need it. Small monthly premium only, cancel anytime

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
321 Posts
I have MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) from geico. Don't need any other $100 deductible if I should ever need it. Small monthly premium only, cancel anytime
Gotta be careful with insurance from auto insurance companies. To them, a claim is a claim. They don't distinguish between being a tow for a simple breakdown or flat tire and a collision. Your rates can go up for using your insurance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Gotta be careful with insurance from auto insurance companies. To them, a claim is a claim. They don't distinguish between being a tow for a simple breakdown or flat tire and a collision. Your rates can go up for using your insurance.
Indeed but it's better than spending a couple grand up front. I'm only using it if the transmission goes crap or engine. The rest I can do my own repair.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I prefer to keep the warranty money and buy a new vehicle/trad-in every 4 to 5 years. It's like getting $2K or better off the price with the savings.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I prefer to keep the warranty money and buy a new vehicle/trad-in every 4 to 5 years. It's like getting $2K or better off the price with the savings.
A customer is going to be much further in the hole $$$ wise by trading every 4 years than by purchasing an extended warranty. I agree, no need for a warranty if you trade that often.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Indeed but it's better than spending a couple grand up front. I'm only using it if the transmission goes crap or engine. The rest I can do my own repair.
Most things are repairable, but the infotainment unit will be expensive to replace no matter who fixes it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Most things are repairable, but the infotainment unit will be expensive to replace no matter who fixes it.
Buy it used.. replace it with aftermarket. Easy. Glad it pops right out LOL. Good thing the unit isn't as fancy as the new outback with their 18" touchscreen (or whatever size it is).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are there even aftermarket options? Some functions can only happen on the touchscreen like turning rear assist breaking off for backing a trailer.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
Aftermarket head units are a tough row to hoe with many vehicles these days because of the level of vehicle integration.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A customer is going to be much further in the hole $$$ wise by trading every 4 years than by purchasing an extended warranty. I agree, no need for a warranty if you trade that often.
I don't see it that way. Assume zero inflation for these numbers; My trade in value at 4 years and under 50,000 miles is quite high. Every 4 or 5 years I sell my Subaru and buy a new one. Traditionally, I've been getting 50% of my new car value by selling it myself. So my 2020 Ascent, at $35,000 costs me $743 a month. It will get me $17,500 in 2024 when I sell it. A new Ascent will cost me $17,500 plus the cash I sold the 2020 for. The 4 year finance on a new Subaru is 0% as they are now. (.9% tops) Payment will be $371 a month, half of what I paid originally and exactly what the depreciation of the original car was. So, from the time I trade in the old car for the new car, all it cost me is the depreciation of a new car. In the meantime, hanging onto the original car past 4 years will continue the depreciation value. In 8 years, the car is worth only a couple thousand dollars, loosing most of it's 50% value at 4 years. The extended warranty for 8 years is a couple thousand dollars as well, making the difference between trading in every 4 years as opposed to hanging on for 8 years and buying an extended warranty a zero net sum. In the meantime, I have a brand new car every 4 years covered for at least 3 of those years under factory warranty.
Each year after the first year, I'm basically getting a new car at half the payment of a new car. I've been doing this since 2001 when I bought my first Subaru with the Forester. This is my first year of owning an Ascent. Consider too, that a new car every 4 years pretty much assures me that I won't have to test an extended warranty or deal with a breakdown that triggers a warranty event. That is some peace of mind. Also, add in wear items; tires aren't cheap. Brakes aren't either if you pay someone to replace them. Both are not covered under the extended warranty. I'll never need to do a SMOG check. So add on at least $1,000 every 40,000 when keeping the old vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
50 Posts
One thing to consider might be resale. Many folk will be more inclined to shell out for a car still under an extended warranty...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts