Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Ascent, and one of the first things I noticed when I drove off the lot, was that my driver's side mirror was blurry. I thought it was just my imagination, but then my wife drove the car, and she noticed the same thing right away.

Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the mirror glass itself had a noticeable "wave" in it, so when you gaze at it with both your eyes, it's almost as if you're seeing double—not enough to be entirely obvious, but definitely enough to think that "something ain't right here".

Here is a link to the video I made of the wave (hopefully it's viewable):
New video by Brian Wolk

I have already had it replaced once at the dealership (they got 3 people to look at it and they all noticed it), but the replacement mirror they installed still has the issue. They have ordered a second replacement, and want me to inspect it before they install it, but so far I am holding off due to Corona virus distancing restrictions. I'm nervous that it too will be warped; that this is just the way that they all are.

Does anyone else have the same issue with their driver's side mirror? Some googling around has shown that other Subarus have this issue, particularly some Outback owners. But I have yet to hear anyone complain about an Ascent, and the dealer was sympathetic but told me I am the first one they've encountered with this issue.

Note: This is an issue with the driver's side only; the passenger side mirror is perfect.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
I need to check mine, but what I see in the video could be indicative that the driver's side is slightly convex. The passenger side is more convex, to the point it's got the "Objects in the mirror might be closer..." message on it.

It's supposed to be thunderstorms all day, but, if it clears up enough to clean and check my mirror, I will. Mine will be a first gen, first production run auto-dimming mirror with approach lighting, so, we can compare what it's like compared to your 2020 mirror.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
We have a 2020 with the dimming mirror and it is not as described in the first post here. However, this is not terribly uncommon...I had a Honda CR-V with a similar symptom when cold (yes, the mirror would warp slightly when cold). There was a TSB to replace the mirror glass for customers who experienced that. Mine was out of warranty so I never had that done, but it was annoying.

I wonder if the part in the mirror housing to which the glass mounts is slightly out of true in yours, OP.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
We have a 2020 with the dimming mirror and it is not as described in the first post here. However, this is not terribly uncommon...I had a Honda CR-V with a similar symptom when cold (yes, the mirror would warp slightly when cold). There was a TSB to replace the mirror glass for customers who experienced that. Mine was out of warranty so I never had that done, but it was annoying.

I wonder if the part in the mirror housing to which the glass mounts is slightly out of true in yours, OP.
Could be - or perhaps the LCD layer is (or isn't bonded flat to the reflective layer).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts