Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission knob was moved to the left (for downshift) and then didn't accelerate when the accelerator was pressed. A few more miles and many warning lights came on and didn't go off. These were the brake light (not the ebrake), the RAB disabled, eyesight, AT oil temp,transmission, check engine, hill assist disabled, the lane assist, and BSD/RCTA on continually. Hopefully, the car will make it the 40 miles to the Subaru dealership.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Moving the shifter to the left does not make the car downshift or accelerate. Manual mode requires you to downshift the transmission. Hope that helps.

Please keep us posted on the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moving the shifter to the left does not make the car downshift or accelerate. Manual mode requires you to downshift the transmission. Hope that helps.

Two updates on our 2019 Subaru Ascent Premium with about 2100 miles on it. First, I was able to replicate the lack of acceleration. When the gear shift was moved to the lower left the car had indeed been shifted into the manual mode. Our expectation was that it would downshift into a lower gear as we went down a long hill. In appears that the car shifted into gear seven or eight, not a lower gear as we had expected (as was expected from our experience with previous vehicles). At the bottom of the hill the car had slowed to about 30 mph and was still in seventh or eighth gear. When a hard acceleration was required to merge into a high speed lane there was no torque because was in the high gear. There was little, if any acceleration. In retrospect, we should have shifted into the manual mode then downshifted to a lower gear using the controls on the steering wheel. We wern't able to quickly process all that as a large dump truck was bearing down on us. If Subaru had built an override to downshift while max accelerator pedal is applied, even when in manual mode, that would be helpful.

The second, possibly unrelated issue, was a number of warning lights that came on a few hundred miles later. These included check engine, brake light (not e brake) on even though the brake was not applied, RAB disabled, AT Oil Temp flashing, transmission light on, vehicle dynamic control, hill assist disabled, and BSD/RCTA on and numerous check manual notices. These stayed on even after turning the vehicle off and on. In addition, cruise control was not functioning. I took the vehicle into the Subaru dealer where a simple OBD showed transmission "issues". Further analysis by the Subaru tester confirmed an issue, which they are hoping is a bad sensor leading to all the warnings. I was pleased that tthe Subaru folks in Santa Fe were willing to work with me to get a loaner vehicle from their fellow dealers because all their loaners were out. Hopefully, it will be fixed shortly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had cars that seem to downshift when put into Manual, kind of an attempt at predicting what I needed (maybe they think I'd do this mostly when passing). I tend not to appreciate those guesses.

I haven't tested the Ascent in as many scenarios as I'd like, but the basic logic appears to be: if we shift from Drive to Manual, it needs to pick a Manual gear to be in. To me the most logical is the current ratio being used in Drive mode. If this is true, your downhill scenario still depends on what you last did with your accelerator. If you asked for torque (accelerating quickly downhill, more than what gravity would do), it'd be in a low ratio / lower "gear." But if you had let off the gas (coasting or decelerating downhill), then it'd be in a high ratio / higher gear. And once you are in Manual, it keeps that gear. As you found, if you are in a Manual high ratio and try to give gas, it's like being in high gear on a Manual transmission - a low rpm climb out, low torque, begging for you to hit the low gear paddle.

At least, that's how I interpret it.

F.S.

Edit/PS: "If Subaru had built an override to downshift while max accelerator pedal is applied, even when in manual mode, that would be helpful." I disagree. That'a exactly what D is for, not M.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Two updates on our 2019 Subaru Ascent Premium with about 2100 miles on it. First, I was able to replicate the lack of acceleration. When the gear shift was moved to the lower left the car had indeed been shifted into the manual mode. Our expectation was that it would downshift into a lower gear as we went down a long hill. In appears that the car shifted into gear seven or eight, not a lower gear as we had expected (as was expected from our experience with previous vehicles). At the bottom of the hill the car had slowed to about 30 mph and was still in seventh or eighth gear. When a hard acceleration was required to merge into a high speed lane there was no torque because was in the high gear. There was little, if any acceleration. In retrospect, we should have shifted into the manual mode then downshifted to a lower gear using the controls on the steering wheel. We wern't able to quickly process all that as a large dump truck was bearing down on us. If Subaru had built an override to downshift while max accelerator pedal is applied, even when in manual mode, that would be helpful.

The second, possibly unrelated issue, was a number of warning lights that came on a few hundred miles later. These included check engine, brake light (not e brake) on even though the brake was not applied, RAB disabled, AT Oil Temp flashing, transmission light on, vehicle dynamic control, hill assist disabled, and BSD/RCTA on and numerous check manual notices. These stayed on even after turning the vehicle off and on. In addition, cruise control was not functioning. I took the vehicle into the Subaru dealer where a simple OBD showed transmission "issues". Further analysis by the Subaru tester confirmed an issue, which they are hoping is a bad sensor leading to all the warnings. I was pleased that tthe Subaru folks in Santa Fe were willing to work with me to get a loaner vehicle from their fellow dealers because all their loaners were out. Hopefully, it will be fixed shortly.
My all dash lights are on issue requires a part that will be in early November. I'm in a loaner until then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had cars that seem to downshift when put into Manual, kind of an attempt at predicting what I needed (maybe they think I'd do this mostly when passing). I tend not to appreciate those guesses.

I haven't tested the Ascent in as many scenarios as I'd like, but the basic logic appears to be: if we shift from Drive to Manual, it needs to pick a Manual gear to be in. To me the most logical is the current ratio being used in Drive mode. If this is true, your downhill scenario still depends on what you last did with your accelerator. If you asked for torque (accelerating quickly downhill, more than what gravity would do), it'd be in a low ratio / lower "gear." But if you had let off the gas (coasting or decelerating downhill), then it'd be in a high ratio / higher gear. And once you are in Manual, it keeps that gear. As you found, if you are in a Manual high ratio and try to give gas, it's like being in high gear on a Manual transmission - a low rpm climb out, low torque, begging for you to hit the low gear paddle.

At least, that's how I interpret it.

F.S.

Edit/PS: "If Subaru had built an override to downshift while max accelerator pedal is applied, even when in manual mode, that would be helpful." I disagree. That'a exactly what D is for, not M.
I agree with your basic logic, but stand by my point on needing to override the manual mode high gear when the accelerator is fully pushed to the floor. In the old days, we were taught to never lug the engine with full acceleration at low speed while in a high gear. When we found oursevles doing that, the car started lunging and the first thing to do was push the clutch in to relieve the strain on the engine and transmission. Obviously, the Subaru doesn't have a clutch. It takes some practice to master the sequence with the Subaru system. Having that override that kicks in to automatically shift when you're trying to accelerate hard at low speed in a high gear will relieve engine and transmission strain, as well as help keep you out of trouble while learning the system.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll go one more round, not trying to pick a fight, as I get what you mean.

If I'm in Manual and in a low gear, and I'm not thinking about it (maybe thinking I'm in Drive), I'll hang there revving high and maxxing at 25mph going ying ying ying... it's 100% on me for not paddling up a gear, and I don't expect the car to somehow know that I didn't mean to be in low gear.

For me, same deal for high gear. (And I agree, it lurches when in high gear at low speed -- ask me how I know! Whoops.)

F.S.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I agree with your basic logic, but stand by my point on needing to override the manual mode high gear when the accelerator is fully pushed to the floor.
That's done by knocking the lever to the right. The car will near instantly find the correct gear ratio.

It's not very manual mode if it's not manual. ;)

It's all in the manual, btw, in case you get bored. It's no George RR Martin book (yet about as long), but there's some good stuff in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's done by knocking the lever to the right. The car will near instantly find the correct gear ratio.

It's not very manual mode if it's not manual. ;)

It's all in the manual, btw, in case you get bored. It's no George RR Martin book (yet about as long), but there's some good stuff in there.
Agree. Everything works well, assuming the operator knows what's going on (and the warning lights aren't flashing at you). I admit I lost interest in the manual at about page 250 and decided I'd figure it out as I go. But that's another thread.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I admit I lost interest in the manual at about page 250 and decided I'd figure it out as I go. But that's another thread.
lol, its a brutally boring read. I don't blame you. I got an early start, fortunately, but it was tough.

Maybe I'll add a piece to the vid I'm making on the various driving modes, parking brake, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hey Rob if people ain't aware of this Fórmula 1 inovatation that Ferrari has introduced into road cars from F1,people can simply ruin their car by simply putting their car into manual mode and not using the paddle shifters to upshift , I use my paddle shifters all the time for more efficient braking and better fuel consumption .Most Americans aren't aware of formula 1 and are totally unaware what those lever's are for .

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
I use my paddle shifters all the time for more efficient braking and better fuel consumption .Most Americans aren't aware of formula 1 and are totally unaware what those lever's are for .
Same here, I just stay in Drive and downshift with the paddles coming up to stop signs, etc as long as there isn't someone tailgating me that needs to see stop lights.

It was a pretty easy transition from my F1 daily driver paddles to the Ascent paddles, plus the Accent has a TON more cargo space ?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hey Rob if people ain't aware of this Fórmula 1 inovatation that Ferrari has introduced into road cars from F1,people can simply ruin their car by simply putting their car into manual mode and not using the paddle shifters to upshift , I use my paddle shifters all the time for more efficient braking and better fuel consumption .Most Americans aren't aware of formula 1 and are totally unaware what those lever's are for .
Yep. I'm adding it to my quick tips video to try to cover as many features new Subie drivers may not be aware of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news update on our Ascent that had a bunch of transmission/braking/backup/check engine warning lights come on. We just got it back from the Dealer where they replaced a Transmission Fluid Pressure switch , cleared a bunch of error messages, and everything now seems to be fine. I drove it home 40 mi. and no problems. Hopefully, the next time to the dealer is for the 6000 mile service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.