Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and i are looking to get a new ascent, we have taken the Touring trip of an exstendovernight test drive and we like it, but wife is complaining about the front driver seat being a little uncomfortable. it was a brand new car... so far we either want this or the VW atlast, so i am looking to hear from the group to see if the ascent is worth the buy

·
Registered
584 Posts
There are ALL kinds of adjustments that can be made on the driver's seat. I'm wondering if you didn't catch them all. I find it very comfortable. Try it again with the salesperson helping adjust it. I most certainly consider it worth a buy.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
It gets more comfy...

Wife and i are looking to get a new ascent, we have taken the Touring trip of an exstendovernight test drive and we like it, but wife is complaining about the front driver seat being a little uncomfortable. it was a brand new car... so far we either want this or the VW atlast, so i am looking to hear from the group to see if the ascent is worth the buy
So, interesting story... I test-sat in an Ascent Touring in April 2018 at the NY International Auto Show. It was very comfy. Then, on June 30th, 2018, I got my Ascent. The seats were stiff and uncomfortable in comparison. Not that they were bad, with a little tweaking of the position, but they were uncomfortable when compared to the car I sat in at the auto show.

Now, over 18,000 miles later, and my Ascent Touring seats are a LOT more comfy than day one.

I realized in the first couple thousand miles that the seats were breaking in and getting a lot more comfy. I guess that's what a gazillion people sitting on a leather seat will do. NYIAS alone was 120 hours of break-in time (including the fun pre-opening hours many of us paid extra for). That car had been all over the country for dozens of shows. Thousands of hours of people sitting in it.

Anyway, point being, some seat tweaking and some time makes the seats a LOT more comfortable than the initial stiff leather from day one or a test drive car that has had a lot less butt-seat time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That’s funny because we test drove the Atlas before purchasing our Ascent and I thought the VW seats were uncomfortable. The sides of the seat were to raised up and if you have any bit of a wider bottom half after 20 or so minutes of driving the VW it becomes annoying. The Ascent seats as Robert states tend to break in nicely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello All

Thanks, that is something to consider. We had only taken it for a day and we where the first to really sit in the car. OUr next consideration for the ASCENT is if its more reliable then the Atlas, because online forums and what not are saying that the ATLAS is not that reliable

·
Registered
49 Posts
You would be buying the first year production for the Subaru Ascent. Not sure if this is also the first year for the Atlas.
I have found if there is an issue with past Subarus, that the company has fully supported their products.

I think if you go to either forum you will find some people having issues with their vehicle. For me, the Subaru fit my needs and for my piece of mind, I plan to purchase the 8 year 120 mile zero deductible extended Subaru service contract. Not hoping for a breakdown but covered if something does have a problem down the line.

What kind of deals are you finding on each of the vehicles?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello All

Thanks, that is something to consider. We had only taken it for a day and we where the first to really sit in the car. OUr next consideration for the ASCENT is if its more reliable then the Atlas, because online forums and what not are saying that the ATLAS is not that reliable
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports (considered one of the few unbiased sources of consumer information) lists the VW Atlas as one of the Top 10 Least Reliable Cars.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/10-least-reliable-cars/

In comparison, the Ascent was listed as the Top Midsize SUV by Consumer Reports.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-best-cars-top-picks-2019/

As you know and have likely read on this forum, the Ascent is not perfect (no vehicle is), but the VW Atlas has shown to lag behind competitors in the segment in terms of reliability. Hopefully VW begins to work out some of the problems that have plagued new owners, but initial data trends predict that the Ascent will be more reliable than the Atlas.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello All

Having owned many different brands over a long period of time (including VW's) and having friends and family who have owned VW's, I feel very comfortable saying that a typical Subaru will likely be far more trouble-free and less expensive to maintain than a VW over the life of the car. All brands are known for something. VW's are known as good driving cars for those who like a European drive. But they are also known for their lack of reliability and high cost to fix or maintain. Subaru's share a lot of mechanicals, tech and more. If you're going to keep it for a while, all the better as Subaru offers low-cost extended warranties for years of peace of mind. (And if you do get an Ascent, which I think is a no-brainer if compared to a VW Atlas - This forum has a thread on the extended warranty which can save you real money - as compared to what your dealer is likely to offer you through the finance office). As for the seat, while I can't speak to a break in period. I can say that there is so much adjustability, just take your time, and adjust the variables - I have no doubt your wife will find that sweet spot of a position. And there's this :) https://finance.yahoo.com/news/subaru-earns-top-honor-2019-154200259.html

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Hello All

97% of Subarus sold in the last ten years are still on the road today. (2010-2019) Experian data

1 - 9 of 9 Posts