Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Ascent in July 2018. The previous winter here had brought a decent amount of snow. With that snow still fresh in my memory I was even more excited about the AWD on my new Ascent.

Fast forward almost 3.5 years and I haven鈥檛 seen anything more than flurries. That鈥檚 including trips to PA in the February where I ended up wearing shorts! I had resigned to live vicariously through all you folks posting your snow pictures on here.

But wait...
Light Product Font Screenshot Software

Finally, it looks like I may get to play in the snow this Saturday! I've already heard the term snowmageddon 2022 tossed around 馃お
Of course I鈥檝e lost or gotten rid of all our sleds in the last 4 years and the kids have lost their snow gloves. I'm going to spend a fortune buying these things, if I can find them, last minute. First world southern problems I guess!

I'll post some pictures this weekend, assuming I didn't jinx the whole thing.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Check thrift stores for sleds.... ;) That's where ours went when we no longer needed them.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check thrift stores for sleds.... ;) That's where ours went when we no longer needed them.
they're probably more plentiful up there than they are here. We had them in stores and I told my wife not to get them when they went on sale because then it wouldn't snow... lol

so far just a tease:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Supposed to get a few inches tonight...we'll see...

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well howdy neighbor.
Enjoy it! There are a few of us in the area on here.

I went out for a drive already this morning. I鈥檒l have more pictures later鈥
Tire Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We ended up with about 5-6鈥. I know that鈥檚 not much for some of you northern folk, but it鈥檚 about a once every 4 year event here.

The Ascent is amazing in the snow! Why didn鈥檛 anyone on here ever say so?! With traction control on it was barely noticeable that snow was even on the road. With traction control off it only slid when I wanted it to. I think she even does better donuts than my rwd Bimmer! The tires are Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 245/65r17 with about 25k on them. I loved the growl of the engine while sliding around.

Automotive parking light Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

And finally, school was out yesterday with snow in the forecast so ALL the kids were excited to come to the local golf course to sled today. You can tell it鈥檚 a beach town when you see makeshift 鈥渟leds鈥 including a surfboard, boogie boards, a laundry basket, blowups, toboggans, plastic discs, and I even saw an inflatable bull out there!
Cloud Sky Snow Automotive tire Natural environment
Cloud Sky Snow Helmet Sports equipment
Now I just hope it鈥檚 not another 1278 days before the next snow鈥​

Attachments

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
We ended up with about 5-6鈥. I know that鈥檚 not much for some of you northern folk, but it鈥檚 about a once every 4 year event here.

The Ascent is amazing in the snow! Why didn鈥檛 anyone on here ever say so?! With traction control on it was barely noticeable that snow was even on the road. With traction control off it only slid when I wanted it to. I think she even does better donuts than my rwd Bimmer! The tires are Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 245/65r17 with about 25k on them. I loved the growl of the engine while sliding around.

View attachment 15270
View attachment 15271
View attachment 15284

And finally, school was out yesterday with snow in the forecast so ALL the kids were excited to come to the local golf course to sled today. You can tell it鈥檚 a beach town when you see makeshift 鈥渟leds鈥 including a surfboard, boogie boards, a laundry basket, blowups, toboggans, plastic discs, and I even saw an inflatable bull out there!
Now I just hope it鈥檚 not another 1278 days before the next snow鈥​
So glad to hear y'all got some decent snow1 And awesome pics!

I grew up in San Antonio, so snow there was super duper rare. One crazy winter back in '84 - '85 we got 13 inches in the course of a day and a half. Whole city shut down and was playing in it all week long. Was my senior year in high school, so no school for a whole week was fabulous! Wish I'd had a Subaru back then, but unfortunately all I had was my old Chevy Vega. :(

Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
@xydadx3 thx for the pics - good to see your wait was not in vain!
How do you like your dashcam and where did you install it on the windshield?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@javidmajid its a pretty basic but reliable rexing v1p gen 3 dashcam. Resolution is just ok and I wish it would record while the engine is off if the vehicle is bumped, but it has been reliable and that's the important part! The only dashcams that natively have that feature generally have a backup battery to power them for that short time. Batteries don't do well with the kind of heat dashcams can be subjected to and I haven't had the time or money to wire anything up to do it from the Ascent's battery.
Here's a pic of where its mounted
Mirror Car Automotive side-view mirror Land vehicle Vehicle

Administrator
Looks like both kids, big and small had fun....

Always find it a little trippy when driving around with no one else on the roads...

Registered
I purchased my Ascent in July 2018. The previous winter here had brought a decent amount of snow. With that snow still fresh in my memory I was even more excited about the AWD on my new Ascent.

Fast forward almost 3.5 years and I haven鈥檛 seen anything more than flurries. That鈥檚 including trips to PA in the February where I ended up wearing shorts! I had resigned to live vicariously through all you folks posting your snow pictures on here.

But wait...
View attachment 15218
Finally, it looks like I may get to play in the snow this Saturday! I've already heard the term snowmageddon 2022 tossed around 馃お
Of course I鈥檝e lost or gotten rid of all our sleds in the last 4 years and the kids have lost their snow gloves. I'm going to spend a fortune buying these things, if I can find them, last minute. First world southern problems I guess!

I'll post some pictures this weekend, assuming I didn't jinx the whole thing.
To paraphrase Horrace Greeley "Go north young man, north".

Super Moderator
Actually, for this winter so far, you're in a better position for snow unless you go "really" north....you're getting a bit more than we are a couple hundred miles north of you.

Reactions: xydadx3

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Jim_in_PA are you scheduled to get any snow from this nor'easter this weekend?

Super Moderator
@Jim_in_PA are you scheduled to get any snow from this nor'easter this weekend?
The closer to the New Jersey shore one is, the larger the expected snowfall. Right now, where I am is pegged for 4-6" but if the storm gets farther east by only 10 miles, it will be a lot less. Accuweather and 6ABC staff are saying that this storm still remains unpredictable because there's both the storm and a cold front punching south and east that are involved.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts