Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just curious, do you usually use the cruise control or not?

Usually run the a/c?

Trying to figure out why folks get such different numbers.

I have noticed that for me the brand of gas seems to matter.

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
There are so many factors involved it doesn’t seem like there’s a perfect recipe for good gas mileage for everyone.
I’m sure I’ll overlook some but there’s how hard and how quickly you press the gas pedal initially, how long you stay on the throttle and how much, running AC, battery charge level, cargo, passengers, roof rack/accessories, ACC use and setting, traffic and road conditions supporting efficient ACC use, tire inflation, wheel selection, alignment, paint color, credit score, moon phase, etc…
Ok the last few are probably less of a factor, but the Ascent does seem to be affected by these factors. Finding your own sweet spot may be a completely different experience than others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be totally fair that pic was taken at the gas station in Rocklin Ca before I came back up the hill to Reno. The totally fair pic is below. That’s a round trip from Reno to Santa Rosa, CA two adults two kids in seats. Luggage for three days and a yeti cooler. The way home we had heavy traffic for 60-100 miles. Stop and go with ACC on.

I use the cruise control any time I can which was about 60% of these miles.

My 2007 RDX would have got about 23 on this trip. And we couldn’t have fit the cooler…

Speedometer Vehicle Car Trip computer Plant

·
Registered
21 Posts
For our Ascent I've found the biggest issue is just how frequently we have to stop and then start again. Around town we don't get anything near the EPA estimate but if we take a longer trip we can pretty easily get the EPA estimate without any trouble. The poor mileage around town doesn't seem to be hugely affected by driving style or some of the other things mentioned.

I will say one thing that's a little disappointing is the mileage compared to our other vehicle. It's a late model Ford Ranger. They weigh about the same, have similar engine displacement, make about the same amount of horsepower and yet the Ranger gets 19-20 mpg around town where the Ascent gets 14-15.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I mentioned my 2007 RDX, of which I’m the primary driver, my wife primarily drives the Ascent; around town I typically get 20MPG in the RDX and she gets 22 in the Ascent. We must be about the same “style” as when we trade it’s much the same.

The RDX on a long trip gets about 24 at its best…

I compare these as they’re both turbo 4 with approximately the same displacement and HP. The ascent is about 500-600lbs heavier.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts

Usually run the a/c?

Yes and yes...always ACC on the highway and the HVAC is always on Full Auto all year long. I consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. (I do not exceed that unless it's required to pass safely) I have a light foot in general driving. My overall average is a hair below 20 mpg right now because 1) we moved "into" town and trips are a lot shorter and I've also been towing my utility trailer a lot because of the move and still maintaining our old property until it sells.

Reactions: hokiefyd

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts

Usually run the a/c?

During similar driving, I think it's due to small changes in accelerator pressure, speeding up and slowing down. Eats a lot of gas. Even ACC isn't the cure when following a car that's perpetually speeding up and slowing down.

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
which is everybody! I change lanes early when on ACC so it doesn’t slow me down approaching someone else
I try to do that, too, but sometimes the old brain is working on something else at the detail level. LOL There is also that person that's driving at a steady speed that's only slightly less than you are traveling who then slows down gradually...a pox on them!

·
Registered
132 Posts
IME I've never had a bigger variance from EPA estimates. But I drive 62 not 55. And if I turn off the CC, the AC, and (usually) windows down sunroof open, I get numbers similar to the OP.

That is why I asked.

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
Funny thing about EPA estimates...the testing. process doesn't represent real life driving for both city and highway. So even getting close to that in actual conditions can be a milestone! Folks in urban areas suffer the most and folks who largely drive longer distances without stopping benefit the most.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
395 Posts
There is also that person that's driving at a steady speed that's only slightly less than you are traveling who then slows down gradually...a pox on them!
Or who then speeds up when you try to pass them!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure that "winter blend" gas will help!

Strange how the RPM indicator bounces around constantly when using ACC. Is that just a CVT thing? Is it seriously trying to lock in at 62.000 -62.001 mph and just working way to hard at it?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
Strange how the RPM indicator bounces around constantly when using ACC. Is that just a CVT thing? Is it seriously trying to lock in at 62.000 -62.001 mph and just working way to hard at it?
This is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) doing what it does best -- smoothly and continuously adjusting its internal drive ratio to keep the engine in the optimal zone for whatever you (or the ACC) is asking the car to do. Whereas a conventional stepped automatic has only 6, 8, etc. discrete ratios from which to choose, the CVT has an infinite number of specific drive ratios between its low and high maximum range. Unless you have the gear selector in manual mode and are switching ratios with the paddle shifters, the CVT's ratio selection is almost never static -- it's almost always adjusting the ratio to suit the demands of the situation at that exact moment.

So, while the tachometer will indicate that engine speed moves around nearly continuously, it should never be "bouncing around" as you said, where it's making large swings up and down, up and down, etc. It should be a smooth adjustment.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Yep, exactly what @hokiefyd said! Unlike a conventionally geared transmission, when an added load is applied to the engine, the CVT can simply adjust the ratio a bit to keep engine load in the RPM range it belongs in, which helps prevent lugging, as well as prevents needing to jump a whole gear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) doing what it does best -- smoothly and continuously adjusting its internal drive ratio to keep the engine in the optimal zone for whatever you (or the ACC) is asking the car to do. Whereas a conventional stepped automatic has only 6, 8, etc. discrete ratios from which to choose, the CVT has an infinite number of specific drive ratios between its low and high maximum range. Unless you have the gear selector in manual mode and are switching ratios with the paddle shifters, the CVT's ratio selection is almost never static -- it's almost always adjusting the ratio to suit the demands of the situation at that exact moment.

So, while the tachometer will indicate that engine speed moves around nearly continuously, it should never be "bouncing around" as you said, where it's making large swings up and down, up and down, etc. It should be a smooth adjustment.
Specifically, ACC on set to 63, level road, no traffic, RPM constantly varies between 1500 and 2100.

I suspect this is why I get better mileage with ACC off.
I can easily maintain a consistant speed and much more consistant RPM on this same stretch of road with the pedal.

This is my first use of CVT as a daily driver so am asking if this is common CVT thing or unique to Ascent or to Subaru.

I occasionally drive another make with CVT and I really don't see the tach moving much at all unless there is an apparent reason(uphill, downgrade, resuming to set speed, etc.).

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
Specifically, ACC on set to 63, level road, no traffic, RPM constantly varies between 1500 and 2100.

I suspect this is why I get better mileage with ACC off.
I can easily maintain a consistant speed and much more consistant RPM on this same stretch of road with the pedal.

This is my first use of CVT as a daily driver so am asking if this is common CVT thing or unique to Ascent or to Subaru.

I occasionally drive another make with CVT and I really don't see the tach moving much at all unless there is an apparent reason(uphill, downgrade, resuming to set speed, etc.).
Mine seems pretty stable for the most part. I don't really look at it all that much, to be honest, but when I do glance at it it seems like it holds steady unless the road changes. And that's with ACC on.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
That definitely doesn't sound typical -- not for a level road with a consistent load. Of course, engine speed will vary with traffic conditions, hills, etc. But for a wide and open level road and a set speed -- your engine speed should change that much. It should pretty much be dead stable under the stated conditions.

What if you turn the adaptive part of cruise control off, and use it like a standard cruise control? I've never done that with ours, but I know you can. I think you hold the "increase distance" and "decrease distance" buttons down together for a few seconds. I wonder if your car would maintain the set speed without all the engine speed changes in that mode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts