Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2022 Ascent Touring and got the VSC Gold contract. I wish I had researched that more before getting the car - but my trade-in's battery kept dying so was a little more rushed than I wanted.
Long story short, the contract is 6 year / 85k miles with $100 deductible. After reading all the posts here it seems that's an odd combination and that many seem to get a 10yr/100k $0 ded for about $2lish? So I paid a lot more than that for the 6yr/85k - like a lot more (almost 2x).
Reading various posts it seems I can buy the warranty elsewhere (or the dealer later) as long as it's still in the MFG original 3yr period. If so, I am thinking of canceling (within 30 days) and then using the refund check to replace this contract.
Am I thinking straight here - and any suggestions on replacing it?

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
That is exactly what it is. I didn’t even have any discussion or option of the Extended warranty. It was explained very well to be just that and complete coverage. So will likely kill it.
Yep, cancel it, and ask for Subaru Gold Plus Extended Coverage Plan. Shop around for best price.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
243 Posts
You might also drop a line to SoA that a dealer is pushing "Gold" contracts that aren't Subaru's. They might be interested. That's shady AF to have a very similar name. "What's a Coby stereo?" "It's got Sony guts!" 😣

There are several dealers that will happily sell it remotely. Flower Subaru in CO is one. @tiffanyM is the contact there. She's a delight. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might also drop a line to SoA that a dealer is pushing "Gold" contracts that aren't Subaru's. They might be interested. That's shady AF to have a very similar name. "What's a Coby stereo?" "It's got Sony guts!" 😣

There are several dealers that will happily sell it remotely. Flower Subaru in CO is one. @tiffanyM is the contact there. She's a delight. :)
I must have been zoning out after three plus hours working this thing. I don't recall the finance lady mentioning anything other than this offering. I also got the maintenance plan - 4 years which seems like it will be OK, but again is EasyCare - PREPAID SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CONTRACT and not directly Subaru. Can anyone validate that one or should I check in another category?
I seriously need to outsource car buying if I ever buy again...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
11 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Ascent Touring and got the VSC Gold contract. I wish I had researched that more before getting the car - but my trade-in's battery kept dying so was a little more rushed than I wanted.
Long story short, the contract is 6 year / 85k miles with $100 deductible. After reading all the posts here it seems that's an odd combination and that many seem to get a 10yr/100k $0 ded for about $2lish? So I paid a lot more than that for the 6yr/85k - like a lot more (almost 2x).
Reading various posts it seems I can buy the warranty elsewhere (or the dealer later) as long as it's still in the MFG original 3yr period. If so, I am thinking of canceling (within 30 days) and then using the refund check to replace this contract.
Am I thinking straight here - and any suggestions on replacing it?
Cancel what you bought. Read my thread here:

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
469 Posts
Cancel what you bought. Read my thread here:
I must have been zoning out after three plus hours working this thing. I don't recall the finance lady mentioning anything other than this offering. I also got the maintenance plan - 4 years which seems like it will be OK, but again is EasyCare - PREPAID SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE CONTRACT and not directly Subaru. Can anyone validate that one or should I check in another category?
The "Easy Care" maintenance contract is likely honored ONLY at the selling dealer. It sounds like a lousy deal all the way around. I would cancel it ASAP and shop around for the genuine article, SAS (Subaru Added Security) Gold Plus. I would also let SoA know that this dealer is steering away from the Subaru product and pushing an overpriced, 3rd party contract.

It is easy to get hoodwinked by the F&I gal/guy, they do this 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, most consumers only deal with it once every 5 years or so. They likely made $3-$4K pure profit on this shady deal. Shameful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is easy to get hoodwinked by the F&I gal/guy, they do this 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, most consumers only deal with it once every 5 years or so. They likely made $3-$4K pure profit on this shady deal. Shameful.
Thanks - they also had a "Blue Steel Protection" and "Appearance Protection" that they "had already included", so these were not itemized anywhere in the deal sheet, other than the ~2k "added value" / add-ons from the dealer. The blue steel sounds decent since they will remove any side body dings or windshield chips/cracks for 3 years. In the office she said these were a "package deal", so it will be interesting to see what she says.
Thanks to all for the quick advice and confirmation.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
243 Posts
As others have noted; I'd dump the non SoA programs and get the equivalent with them. We had another forum-goer a bit back that got screwed with the same 'warranty' you did for a similar amount of screwing. F the shady F&I-types. They make it hard on everyone.

There are plenty of good F&I peeps discussed here that are more than willing to make a modest amount of profit for some emails/phone call and a bit of paperwork. It's easy money for them. I'd do it all day every day if I could make that kind of effort/reward ratio. :)

I declined the body warranty once I read that it was vertical surfaces only. Not covering hail damage to the hood and roof? No thanks bub.

Really, give a call to SoA. I don't think your memory is off here. Subaru's gold plan is extremely comprehensive, it'd stick out in your mind if they went over it at any length. I got the full 10 year $0 plan... it's just less anxiety and PITA for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went in and canceled the EasyCare contracts. No pushback at all. She was cool, but said it would be 4-6 weeks and the refund would go to the lienholder against the loan. I'm hoping it won't take that long, but at least dealt with it for now and will check into pricing on the real McCoy SAS plans.
Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,384 Posts
Ouch...it bites even harder when those contracts were rolled into financing...

Reactions: felix_te

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,500 Posts
The "Easy Care" maintenance contract is likely honored ONLY at the selling dealer. It sounds like a lousy deal all the way around. I would cancel it ASAP and shop around for the genuine article, SAS (Subaru Added Security) Gold Plus. I would also let SoA know that this dealer is steering away from the Subaru product and pushing an overpriced, 3rd party contract.

I differ in opinion. I do not think it is shady. They an independebt business and can sell what they like at whatever price they set. As long as there is a buyer to complete the transaction, it is a mutual arrangement. The buyer can read the full contract before making a decision to determine the value. I would hope that any adult soending $40,000 should be able to assess a simple service contract. I personally would never buy a third party contract. I have no problem dealing with f & i folks. Like any larher dollar purchase research and being prepared is important. There are many free respurces on how to price and navigate a new car puchase. I recall the first dealer i went into for my 2019 limited. The young kid was new to sales and he was talking about all the dealer add-ons. I was just at the begininning of exploring, so when he showed me the brochures, i asked for the full contracts. He had never seen them himself. When i got most of what i asked for, i took it home and read it until i fully understood what it was and what it wasn't and i could properly consider its value. As long as the dealer is not lying about the product, no foul is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I differ in opinion. I do not think it is shady. They an independebt business and can sell what they like at whatever price they set. As long as there is a buyer to complete the transaction, it is a mutual arrangement. The buyer can read the full contract before making a decision to determine the value. I would hope that any adult soending $40,000 should be able to assess a simple service contract. I personally would never buy a third party contract. I have no problem dealing with f & i folks. Like any larher dollar purchase research and being prepared is important. There are many free respurces on how to price and navigate a new car puchase. I recall the first dealer i went into for my 2019 limited. The young kid was new to sales and he was talking about all the dealer add-ons. I was just at the begininning of exploring, so when he showed me the brochures, i asked for the full contracts. He had never seen them himself. When i got most of what i asked for, i took it home and read it until i fully understood what it was and what it wasn't and i could properly consider its value. As long as the dealer is not lying about the product, no foul is done.
There were no brochures ever shown. They only presented the 3rd party option at the close on the desk screen and said they were package deals, with some items already on the vehicle. So maybe not calling shady, but certainly not transparent. I wanted the warranty but did not know there was a better option.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
There were no brochures ever shown. They only presented the 3rd party option at the close on the desk screen and said they were package deals, with some items already on the vehicle. So maybe not calling shady, but certainly not transparent. I wanted the warranty but did not know there was a better option.
Cancel it in writing. They may tell you, you need to wait. You do not. Some tell you that so they get their commission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cancel it in writing. They may tell you, you need to wait. You do not. Some tell you that so they get their commission.
Yep I went in and filled out their form, and will call to follow-up with the EasyCare Company as the contract does state refund to be issued the date of request since brand new. I hope they play ball, but mostly just want the refund.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
469 Posts
In 2017 I bought a new Sonata Sport Turbo. I inquired about VSC's and was told that Hyundai does not offer them (a flat out lie), but he has a "Super-Duper, Gold, Platinum, Rare Earth, Paladium VSC for only.....$3500.

I declined, went home and shopped around on the phone and 'Net. A local dealer sold me a genuine Hyundai HPP VSC (pretty much like Subaru Gold Plus) for $1700.
Unfortunately, SOME F&I gals/guys are bottom feeding crooks who will flat out lie to your face.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
In 2017 I bought a new Sonata Sport Turbo. I inquired about VSC's and was told that Hyundai does not offer them (a flat out lie), but he has a "Super-Duper, Gold, Platinum, Rare Earth, Paladium VSC for only.....$3500.

I declined, went home and shopped around on the phone and 'Net. A local dealer sold me a genuine Hyundai HPP VSC (pretty much like Subaru Gold Plus) for $1700.
Unfortunately, SOME F&I gals/guys are bottom feeding crooks who will flat out lie to your face.
I use sales and f & i staff as facilitators to complete a transaction. Long ago, i stopped using them for information. With todays easy access to information within seconds, there is no reason to rely on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts