Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I end a phone call and the system only 2019 Ascent returns to the radio, the volume is extremely high - painfully high. I checked the settings - none of the volume numbers are high. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Have you tried restarting the audio system by pressing down the Volume button/knob for 10 second?

I have the FM radio on all the time and frequently get calls and text messages over Bluetooth on my iPhone while driving and the radio volume always goes back to what it was set to before.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suspect this bug is related to the whole carplay message or email bug that doesn’t seem to get fixed. When I receive an email while driving and I get the notification noise the front tweeters ramp up the tone plus whatever music is playing. Sometimes quickly. Sometimes upto 6 or 7 seconds. And not only does it get loud but it sounds like music thru a PA horn.

You didn’t note if this is with carplay or Bluetooth btw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I end a phone call and the system only 2019 Ascent returns to the radio, the volume is extremely high - painfully high. I checked the settings - none of the volume numbers are high. Any ideas?
I have the exact same issue when using the bluetooth -- we just got our Ascent a few days ago and this issue has consistently happened when ending calls in the car. I called our dealership to ask, but they did not have an answer. It seems to happen when the volume in the car is above 10

·
Registered
124 Posts
This was fixed in a software update for me. Now it goes really high for a second and then volume returns to normal. Check the version of the software you have or go to the dealer to have them help you upgrade. You can also search these forums on how to do the update yourself with a usb stick.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've seen this volume diference too (ouch), but my phone/media volume output wasn't nearly all the way up. On first connection, my phone softens its output and gives me a message that Listening at High Volume Through Devices Can Damage Hearing. If I say Ok, it lets me turn up the phone volume output to bluetooth all the way up. At which point, phone calls, phone media, and car radio are pretty close to the same. Well, car AM radio is dead-on, but of course FM blares louder - which I think is an FM station choice, not a radio design issue. (FM stations piss me off with their extra loudness, just like TV commercials blaring over regular programming.)

My setup: Not Android Auto. Using bluetooth connection Android to car.

F.S.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I've seen this volume diference too (ouch), but my phone/media volume output wasn't nearly all the way up. On first connection, my phone softens its output and gives me a message that Listening at High Volume Through Devices Can Damage Hearing. If I say Ok, it lets me turn up the phone volume output to bluetooth all the way up. At which point, phone calls, phone media, and car radio are pretty close to the same. Well, car AM radio is dead-on, but of course FM blares louder - which I think is an FM station choice, not a radio design issue. (FM stations piss me off with their extra loudness, just like TV commercials blaring over regular programming.)

My setup: Not Android Auto. Using bluetooth connection Android to car.

F.S.
That is an Android issue, where it is using the previous volume setting, then realizing it's connecting to what it thinks is a headset, and lowering the volume.

Some Android implementations are quicker at doing this or store volume profiles for different devices.

Basically, Bluetooth volume is initially determined on the connected device, not the head unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.