Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to look out for. We’ve had the vehicle checked for the volume button that jumps multiple sound levels up on the head unit. The volume gets so loud we have to cover our ears at times. Volume control from the steering wheel works normally. This started happening after the installation of the latest update. Call to SoA and they claimed this is the first they heard about a problem take it in.
Our dealer’s mechanic believed it was the amplifier that was causing the issue. Ordered another amp and installed a few days later, no it’s not the problem. The service writer stated this time that our vehicle isn’t the only vehicle in with the problem. My wife didn’t get all the details if the problem was only in Ascent or other vehicles. They have had multiple complaints and is in contact with SoA. The shop is thinking the next step is a new head unit.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't get why they ordered an amp the first time - a faulty button / head unit would have made more sense to me. Maybe the amp is cheaper? But that'd be like looking on a next street over for your dropped keys because the lighting is better. o_O

Anyway, will keep this in mind. My volume button is working fine, 20K miles, and I do use it on most drives (crank down radio volume before I shut off the car).

F.S.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Head unit is replaced. Volume button is good to go. Asked the warranty service advisor if the updates are installed, she said yes because the unit is new. Leave and checked it on the way home, the numbers don't match up to the last download (lessons learned, verify before leaving dealer). Phoned the advisor up and she was under the impression that head units coming from Subaru are all up to date. We still need to double check online....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trying to see if this is the same problem I am having. Only 6k on the car and 3x time now while I am driving, all of a sudden the volume to the radio turns up several levels all by itself, like it is possessed. I am not touching any of the controls (steering wheel etc) and no one else is in the car with me.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
While this is not always the case, the amp malfunctioning can cause this. This would have to be diagnosed to determine if it is the amp or not.

Symptom 2: Audio volume increases to maximum intermittently without turning the knob.
TSB NUMBER: 15-240-19R

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts