Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's really great that we can control the volume of all the bells & whistles. The beeps, chimes, etc....but....the one thing that's driving me crazy is the virtual assistant volume control. No matter how many times I adjust it in the settings it seems to reset louder. This is the voice that responds when you push the steering wheel button. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Voice Commands Volume Control...

Just wanted to refresh this thread. I’ve been able to adjust all the sound levels to a comfortable default setting EXCEPT for the talk switch aka voice commands button on the steering wheel. If I save it to an “8” it always resets to “12” after every vehicle restart. Anyone else in this boat?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I haven't messed with it honestly. I *thought* I noticed my adaptive cruise control reset to normal instead of being aggressive but I have not looked much.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
There are two settings, one for Android Auto/CarPlay voice, and one for the built in voice.

Also, the system remembers the last volume setting. That means if you adjust the volume knob while that voice is speaking to you, it will change the volume for that voice and remember it. That applies to all audio output, so, for instance:

• While playing XM/radio, turn volume knob to change radio volume.
  • While Android Nav is speaking, turn knob to adjust that (it will not adjust any music playing in the background, regardless of source).
  • While built in nav is talking, same deal
  • etc

Short version: without going into the settings, you can adjust any volume by turning the volume knob while that audio source has foreground priority.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voice Command Volume Control...

Also, the system remembers the last volume setting. That means if you adjust the volume knob while that voice is speaking to you, it will change the volume for that voice and remember it.
Thanks that does make sense. And that’s part of the problem I’m having. Whether I adjust it when it’s mid-response or lower it in the settings, it reverts to 12. I want it to stay at 8 lol.

Every other audio source behaves as expected in terms of volume hold consistency.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Thanks that does make sense. And that’s part of the problem I’m having. Whether I adjust it when it’s mid-response or lower it in the settings, it reverts to 12. I want it to stay at 8 lol.

Every other audio source behaves as expected in terms of volume hold consistency.
That's odd. I will mess with mine this weekend and let you know if I can replicate either behavior.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have also found this to be the case in my Limited with standard 6 speaker system. I can lower the voice command volume while she speaks, but it always climbs back up to level 12 upon a restart the vehicle. Hopefully a software update will take care of this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a major bug in the software which makes the VR feature worthless.

If you navigate to the to the VR assistant volume setting page, turn the volume to 0 for instance, then press the VR button on the steering wheel, the volume immediately jumps back to 12!

What is the point of having the ability to adjust the volume of something, if whenever the feature is used, the car resets it to the some predetermined level?

In addition, there is no way to turn off the VR voice, other than setting her volume to 0, which doesn't work. Having a voice talk back at you for no reason is extremely distracting. I would much rather fumble around with the buttons on the display to do what I want. This is less dangerous.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
This is a major bug in the software which makes the VR feature worthless.

If you navigate to the to the VR assistant volume setting page, turn the volume to 0 for instance, then press the VR button on the steering wheel, the volume immediately jumps back to 12!

What is the point of having the ability to adjust the volume of something, if whenever the feature is used, the car resets it to the some predetermined level?

In addition, there is no way to turn off the VR voice, other than setting her volume to 0, which doesn't work. Having a voice talk back at you for no reason is extremely distracting. I would much rather fumble around with the buttons on the display to do what I want. This is less dangerous.
Please go into "Settings->General->System Information" and share what firmware version you are running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2020 WRX about 2 weeks old. Firmware is Rel_UC.19.12.70

I've tried enabling the software download options in the HU so it will automaticlly update software, but has others have figured out, Subaru isn't actually using this yet as it times out every time you start the car while in network range.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Robert,

Sorry about posting on this BBS. I didn't realize that an Ascent was a Subaru car model now. I thought that it was just the name of a BBS for Subarus.
No worries. I am not really familiar with the WRX firmware, but the volume issue you are experiencing was fixed in an update for the Ascent.

You may want to ask over in the WRX forums, or ask your dealership if there's an update.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.