Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are getting close to pulling the trigger on a touring model, she’s from western Montana and it’s ingrained in her DNA to need a Subaru, but with 4 kids it was only a dream until the ascent came along. Went through ASPCA process to get VIP status, which couldn’t have been easier, btw. (FYI, if whoever you work for has a gift matching program, you can donate $250 and get the aspca deal with your company match) Anyhow, I’d like to trade our explorer instead of selling it myself but one of the 2 dealers we’re comparing is telling me that because we’re getting the VIP pricing, they aren’t going to give us as much on our trade. Now it probably won’t end up mattering as I’ll likely just go with the other dealership (which is a couple hours closer to us anyways) but I was curious, doesn’t Subaru likely reimburse the dealership for the cost of the VIP pricing program? I’m guessing the dealership isn’t making much less once Subaru gets involved. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes Subaru reimburses us for VIP deals, but it isn't as much as if we sold the car to someone without the VIP deal.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I didn't want to take delivery from a dealer from a far off land so I made my purchase without VIP in August. I negotiated a little off the selling price when only MSRP was being quoted. I made up the difference with my trade when the dealer gave me $2k more than I was expecting to get. Bottom line worked out similar to a VIP deal and I didn't have to travel to get my car.

I always was curious about VIP buyers and if the dealers try to make some of it back by lowballing the trade. From Broose51's post, that seems to be the case - at least anecdotally.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wife and I are getting close to pulling the trigger on a touring model, she’s from western Montana and it’s ingrained in her DNA to need a Subaru, but with 4 kids it was only a dream until the ascent came along. Went through ASPCA process to get VIP status, which couldn’t have been easier, btw. (FYI, if whoever you work for has a gift matching program, you can donate $250 and get the aspca deal with your company match) Anyhow, I’d like to trade our explorer instead of selling it myself but one of the 2 dealers we’re comparing is telling me that because we’re getting the VIP pricing, they aren’t going to give us as much on our trade. Now it probably won’t end up mattering as I’ll likely just go with the other dealership (which is a couple hours closer to us anyways) but I was curious, doesn’t Subaru likely reimburse the dealership for the cost of the VIP pricing program? I’m guessing the dealership isn’t making much less once Subaru gets involved. Am I wrong?
VIP purchase should play no role in the value of your trade. Check KBBook, and NADA to find your average trade in value, or clean trade if it is in real good shape. Stick to your guns and only accept what the value actually is for your trade. I had a devil of a time getting average trade for my "pristine" 2 year old truck on the trade, but was finally able to get the new Ascent limited I had wanted.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts