Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - apologies if this has already been covered but I couldn’t find specific info in the forums. I have a 2017 Outback in excellent shape (<18,000 miles) and I’m shopping for an Ascent Touring. I’m planning to leverage the VIP pricing as well. I know Subaru offers a guarantee trade value program (GTP) which is obviously subject to inspection, etc. I have one or two very minor (smaller than 3/4” dings - no paint damage) from parking lots etc, but otherwise the car is all stock and in excellent condition.

Does anyone have experiences or advice with using VIP pricing and the impact on a trade - with or without the Subaru GTP? My limited understanding of VIP is that corporate reimburses the dealership for some of the money they’d lose on the deal, but it seems they may want to value the trade differently to compensate.

Love that this community exists and I appreciate any advice or experiences anyone can share. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi everyone - apologies if this has already been covered but I couldn’t find specific info in the forums. I have a 2017 Outback in excellent shape (<18,000 miles) and I’m shopping for an Ascent Touring. I’m planning to leverage the VIP pricing as well. I know Subaru offers a guarantee trade value program (GTP) which is obviously subject to inspection, etc. I have one or two very minor (smaller than 3/4” dings - no paint damage) from parking lots etc, but otherwise the car is all stock and in excellent condition.

Does anyone have experiences or advice with using VIP pricing and the impact on a trade - with or without the Subaru GTP? My limited understanding of VIP is that corporate reimburses the dealership for some of the money they’d lose on the deal, but it seems they may want to value the trade differently to compensate.

Love that this community exists and I appreciate any advice or experiences anyone can share. Thanks in advance!
Hi,

The VIP and GTP are two separate programs. The VIP pricing is specific to the model you're buying, as long as the dealer participates in the program. This is usually around invoice pricing. If you're eligible, you will get a certificate e-mailed to your preferred dealer and yourself, and you bring it with you.

The GTP is vehicle-specific and does have some available deductions for mileage, but otherwise it's restricted to the age and mileage of the vehicle, and it must meet criteria as defined on the website: https://www.subaru.com/guaranteed-trade-in-program/index.html

So, you know a lot of the numbers before you even set foot in your dealership. It's convenient and useful. From my research for my own car, it appears that the GTP value is around 20-25% higher than a regular trade-in would be, with the benefit of zero haggling.

I've heard that you can get a better deal potentially if you're pursuing a lower-demand vehicle as the dealers are trying to move the inventory, especially near year-end. But, nothing beats the convenience of walking in with no surprises.

For me, personally, my time is also worth something - it could be time I spend with my family or working an overtime shift. So it's great for me to get in and out and back on with the adventure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar question, looking to get a Limited Ascent and planning to trade in a mini. Does anyone have experience or advice on if going the VIP pricing route is worth it when trading in a non-subaru?

Not a VIP member currently, but was considering the ASPCA $500 to get somewhere between invoice and invoice -2%, but I don't want to do that if doing VIP will torpedo what the dealer will offer me on a trade. Also, given that some dealers are starting to advertise $3,000+ off MSRP for limiteds on their websites before any negotiation I'm not even sure if the VIP program is worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Pilot - bottom line I should be able to 1) go in with VIP letter/pricing (invoice -2%) and know that figure, and 2) have at least an estimated GTP (which for me also seems to be a little higher than what I might expect otherwise) and the dealer ideally accepts both of those, no haggling/negotiating necessary.

My fear was that the VIP pricing on the new car could impact the GTP offer, or the GTP offer would not apply or something to make up the $ difference of the VIP program. Sounds like that may not be the case...

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’m not sure the specifics on impact of non-GTP on VIP or GTP on non-VIP deals. That would probably get into the meat and potatoes of expected profit margins at the local dealership.

But, I know it’s easier for me personally to just deal with one variable - let’s say a non GTP trade - instead of negotiating over both a trade and a purchase price.

It’s easier for me as a buyer to set my value of my trade at say, $8000, and be prepared to walk rather than having to negotiate that first and then start again on the purchase price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.