· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
Reactions: Idaho Oak

· Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
103 Posts
Thank you.

Picked the vehicle up today! My wife has named the car "Turbo".

I had the option of 0% for 63 if I got an extended warranty.

Otherwise, with no extended warranty they still offered me 0% but at 60 months.

I walked away with 0/60.

· Registered
32 Posts
Just followed Panther5150's original post instructions to fast-track a VIP Authorization Form. I donated $500 to ASPCA at 6:00 p.m., and the VIP Authorization Form from SOA was in my email inbox by 9:00 a.m. the following morning (as well as in the dealer's inbox). I sent the extra emails to [email protected] and [email protected] with receipts, etc., to speed up the process, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks, all!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

· Registered
1 Posts
Getting ready to place a factory order and trying to follow the steps detailed. I've made the ASPCA donation and haven't been able to get the VIP verification form processed yet since the field for member ID no longer accepts text.

Question is: does that verification form process need to be completed before I pay the deposit on the factory order?

Salesperson knows I plan to use VIP pricing and has given quotes using the 2% under invoice. Am I just overthinking this?

· Registered
32 Posts
I bought my car off the lot this way (not a factory order), so I’m not sure. My guess would be no—you can pay the deposit first if the dealer has agreed to VIP pricing.

· Registered
2018 Outback Limited
2 Posts
Hi!
First time posting and would like to know how anyone here would handle this scenario.
I went onto Costco Auto and submitted a request for a 2022 Ascent Limited w/package 23, Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, Ca came up. I went to their website and noticed the Internet Director is the salesperson that worked the deal for me my 2018 Outback lease. Reached out to her, told her what I was looking for, mentioned both Costco pricing and ASPCA VIP program discounts. She informed me that the best way for her to get me any discounts would be by ordering my vehicle to my specifications. She had me go and build the vehicle and send her the build ID. Deposit paid, received email from Subaru with my order.
Ok, done, flash forward, and I send emails with questions about my trade in, don’t hear back, ok I call and apparently she has a very off schedule due to her commute. She cc’s another internet manager, don’t hear from him either. Finally I speak to someone in her dept and we’re negotiating my lease trade in, I tell him, I’m taking it to CarMax or Carvana and he tells me “Sorry, no can do, Subaru won’t allow it.” False, I called Subaru Finance and specifically asked if it was ok to sell my leased vehicle to a 3rd party. I was told that the 3rd party may have a significantly higher payout right now.
That’s all done but than today I get a call that says they can’t give the VIP program discount because my vehicle is not factory ordered. What? The same salesperson that told me I couldn’t sell my lease to 3rd party, told me “Oh, I didn’t realize you were using a VIP discount, Subaru only allows those on direct factory orders. Your order was a vehicle that was allocated to us and on the way, I just adjusted a few things to make it match to your build.” I argued that this is not my problem, clearly there is miscommunication in your dept. Email clearly states to build my vehicle, send the build ID to your dept so that it can be submitted to the factory.” He tells me “oh, we just say that so we know what you want in your vehicle”
What would you do in this situation? The current price they gave me is $41548 plus fees (I’m in Orange County,CA). VIP pricing would be $950 less which is a lot of money plus the $500 donation I made. He said he’d have to speak to the his boss, the Internet Director, which is who I was originally communicating with (non responsive which I find annoying with the way technology is so readily available now).

Advice? I’d like to get the lowest price possible, obviously… Thanks! Look forward to hearing responses.

· Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
"Subaru" doesn't require that a VIP discount be a factory order unless they have changed the terms recently. Read your VIP authorization letter...the terms are in the first few paragraphs. "Factory order only" is generally a "dealer" requirement at the moment for the few that are still participating in this difficult market supply time. IMHO, if you placed an order based on a build you provided and the dealer chose to fill it with an incoming rather than a factory order tagged to your name (you got the email from Subaru, remember?) that really shouldn't be "your" problem. In the end, however, it's going to come down to how well your deal is documented in writing. Otherwise, it's your word against them. And since dealers are independent businesses, they do have the ability. to set the terms of your deal. In the end, it sounds like you're actually getting a discount...something that most buyers are not able to obtain at present.

· Registered
2018 Outback Limited
2 Posts
"Subaru" doesn't require that a VIP discount be a factory order unless they have changed the terms recently. Read your VIP authorization letter...the terms are in the first few paragraphs. "Factory order only" is generally a "dealer" requirement at the moment for the few that are still participating in this difficult market supply time. IMHO, if you placed an order based on a build you provided and the dealer chose to fill it with an incoming rather than a factory order tagged to your name (you got the email from Subaru, remember?) that really shouldn't be "your" problem. In the end, however, it's going to come down to how well your deal is documented in writing. Otherwise, it's your word against them. And since dealers are independent businesses, they do have the ability. to set the terms of your deal. In the end, it sounds like you're actually getting a discount...something that most buyers are not able to obtain at present.
Update: Went through the fine print, spoke to a VIP rep and spoke with the dealership. Salesperson and manager still wouldn’t budge. I told them via text, ok, leave as is and I will think about the timeline of a new order, but for now keep as is until you hear from me. A day later, kids and I get sick (one after the other) and life happens right? Monday I email the salesperson and internet manager with a check in, no response. Yesterday, I send a text to the salesperson, “oh, we thought you didn’t want it because we didn’t hear from you so we unreserved it. I was pissed, asked him if they considered calling and verifying with the customer first, he refused to respond. Currently waiting to hear back from the GSM but this dealership lacks customer service and professionalism. Supposedly, it is under new ownership. So now I have to start all over with a 50 day timeframe.

· Administrator
13,265 Posts
Update: Went through the fine print, spoke to a VIP rep and spoke with the dealership. Salesperson and manager still wouldn’t budge. I told them via text, ok, leave as is and I will think about the timeline of a new order, but for now keep as is until you hear from me. A day later, kids and I get sick (one after the other) and life happens right? Monday I email the salesperson and internet manager with a check in, no response. Yesterday, I send a text to the salesperson, “oh, we thought you didn’t want it because we didn’t hear from you so we unreserved it. I was pissed, asked him if they considered calling and verifying with the customer first, he refused to respond. Currently waiting to hear back from the GSM but this dealership lacks customer service and professionalism. Supposedly, it is under new ownership. So now I have to start all over with a 50 day timeframe.
Email [email protected] (and cc [email protected]) and complain.

· Registered
10 Posts
The willingness of dealers participating in the VIP pricing program seems to be dwindling with inventory issues piling up ( or as told by dealers). The verbiage on the Visit Authorization is vague at its best, giving an edge to the dealers to use it to their sales advantage (again its sellers market). As per VIP program rep "They are not obligated to sell their incoming or in stock inventory at VIP pricing". Anyone else ran into this hurdle ? Thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
The willingness of dealers participating in the VIP pricing program seems to be dwindling
hah...that happened a long time ago. It's not a recent trend. :). There's lots you can read about that here in various threads.

No dealer is obligated to participate in the VIP program at all. Some don't even in uncomplicated times. A large percentage are not participating right now based on anecdotal evidence; some are only allowing it for factory orders. If you want to use the program, be sure you've identified a dealer that will work with you on that before you make your arrangements with the charity partner to get a VIP authorization letter released. One other thing...even some dealers who are willing to participate in VIP are still tacking on pure profit "required" adds to a sale. Make sure you know up front if you're going to face that because in some cases, it's been as much as several thousand dollars.

· Registered
10 Posts
hah...that happened a long time ago. It's not a recent trend. :). There's lots you can read about that here in various threads.

No dealer is obligated to participate in the VIP program at all. Some don't even in uncomplicated times. A large percentage are not participating right now based on anecdotal evidence; some are only allowing it for factory orders. If you want to use the program, be sure you've identified a dealer that will work with you on that before you make your arrangements with the charity partner to get a VIP authorization letter released. One other thing...even some dealers who are willing to participate in VIP are still tacking on pure profit "required" adds to a sale. Make sure you know up front if you're going to face that because in some cases, it's been as much as several thousand dollars.
Thank you for providing your insight. I have noticed some of the dealers are straightforward with their orders yet by the time delivery of the vehicle occurs, all incentives are going to expire. have to keep my eyes wide open and be wary of the add ons. Definitely appreciate the tips !

· Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
With Subaru, most incentives are around finance terms and while they do change, the swings are pretty small...so far at least.

· Registered
10 Posts
With Subaru, most incentives are around finance terms and while they do change, the swings are pretty small...so far at least.
100 % Agree with you. I was reading your response else where on a different post to “ Shop around for financing; in many cases, a dealer will find a way to match a great rate with an alternative finance source so they get the financial benefits of your loan” . I bookmarked that statement as a to do list item when ready to sign the buyers order. Thanks.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
100 % Agree with you. I was reading your response else where on a different post to “ Shop around for financing; in many cases, a dealer will find a way to match a great rate with an alternative finance source so they get the financial benefits of your loan” . I bookmarked that statement as a to do list item when ready to sign the buyers order. Thanks.
I doubt any dealer using traditional financing would be able to match the 1.9%. Subaru subsidizes Chase to achieve the 1.9%. Now with interest rates about to go up (starting March), I would not be surprised if March or April will have a higher interest rate from Subaru.

On another note, I just learned Autonation has suspended their discounts to their employees for new car purchases.

the benefits amounted to VIP pricing (in better times, there were additional discounts such as dealer cash among others. Nowadays prior to the suspension, it amounted to the 2% off invoice.

New & Pre-Owned Vehicle Purchase Pricing

As most of you know, consumer demand continues to outpace new vehicle inventory supply. For this reason and to continue delivering a peerless Customer experience, we are temporarily suspending the Associate Purchase Perks program on all new vehicles both in-stock and vehicles ordered until further notice. Associates are still eligible for the Perks program on in-stock Pre-owned vehicles. No changes have been made to the pre-owned vehicles program.

Should you need a new vehicle now, you may purchase the in-stock or order the new vehicle without Associate pricing.
On Pre-Owned vehicles, the pricing is $250 over net cost on most** pre-owned vehicles. Transparent and consistent pricing. That's what you can expect when buying or leasing a car with the Associate Purchase Perks Program.
Contact an AutoNation store near you.
Click here for complete pricing details.
All Associate vehicle trade-ins will be evaluated by Central Appraisal and Acquisition Division (CAAD).
*Certain new vehicles are excluded. See employee restricted new vehicles list below, which is controlled by region/market and subject to change at any time in the sole discretion of region management.
** Pricing exceptions may apply for certain pre-owned vehicles at 21 or more AN days as determined by the Region President, in his/her sole discretion. Additionally, Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles may have additional charges.

Restricted New Vehicles for Associate Purchase Program & Refer-A-Friend Program

Employee Restricted New Vehicles List

Acura: NSX, TLX PMC Edition
Alfa Romeo: None
Audi: R8, RS, S5 Sportback
Bentley: All
BMW: All M models and Alpina products, i8, and Z4
Buick: None
Cadillac: None
Chevrolet: Corvette ZR1, 2020 Corvette and Newer, Suburbans and Tahoes - in stock are not eligible for employee pricing. If the Surburban or Tahoe is ordered, it will be eligible for employee pricing.
Chrysler: None
Dodge: Charger Scat Pack
Fiat: None
Ford: Mustang Shelby, Bronco - ** Bronco in stock vehicles are not eligible for employee pricing. If the Bronco is ordered, it will be eligible for employee pricing.
GMC: Hummer EV
Honda: Civic Type R
Hyundai: None
Infiniti: None
Jaguar: None
Jeep: Anniversary editions, Wrangler 392
Land Rover: Range Rover, Range Rover Sport - Must live in stores market to get discount as Land Rover hits us with a significant financial penalty for selling to customers living outside the stores market.
Lexus: RX 450 Hybrid, RXL 450 Hybrid, LC 500, LC 500 Hybrid, LC 500 Convertible
Lincoln: None
Mercedes-Benz: G, GTS, All AMGs, GT, GTR
Mini: None
Nissan: None
Porsche: All except Base Cayman and Boxster
Ram: 1500 TRX
Smart: None
Subaru: WRX STI
Toyota: Supra, TRD Pro
Volkswagen: None
Volvo: None

Updated 6/1/2021

· Registered
10 Posts
I am looking to make a donation to either ASPCA or the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. Can someone confirm (recently) that both of these organizations are still invoice minus 2 percent? Thanks.
ASPCA - Yes, 2% under invoice price.
As of March 2022 in Mid Atlantic region.
Chances are that the dealer will make you place an order than selling the car from their inventory.

· Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
Make sure the dealer(s) you intend to buy from are actually participating in the VIP program at the moment before you make your donation and as the previous poster mentioned, many who still are participating are only doing so for Factory Orders.

· Registered
354 Posts
ASPCA - Yes, 2% under invoice price.
As of March 2022 in Mid Atlantic region.
Chances are that the dealer will make you place an order than selling the car from their inventory.
What's the minimum donation amount before you get access to the VIP pricing? Is it a one time donation or do you need to sign up for the monthly donation? Thanks!

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
What's the minimum donation amount before you get access to the VIP pricing? Is it a one time donation or do you need to sign up for the monthly donation? Thanks!
$501 or possibly $500 but to be sure go for the extra dollar. One time donation. The full donation will give you access to the VIP program within days instead of waiting for months. The amount is a minimum threshold.

141 - 160 of 224 Posts