Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this video does a great job showing the stock capabilities of the Ascent and 20" wheels/tires even though it was probably not the best move...

·
Registered
61 Posts
roughest road so far

Wondering if anyone has given their Ascent any bit of an offroad/dirt road/hill test so far. Thought we might be able to find the hardest test someone here as tried out so far. I expect the Ascent to be able to go anywhere where a Forester/Outback can go (but with approach and departure angles, maybe not), but not sure until i try.

For us, the toughest stretch we have tried is just an unmaintained road in a city, actually worse than it sounds, handled the big potholes well. I did find it harder to see the holes in front of the car (compared to our Forester), which was expected.

But really our car is still untested.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wondering if anyone has given their Ascent any bit of an offroad/dirt road/hill test so far. Thought we might be able to find the hardest test someone here as tried out so far. I expect the Ascent to be able to go anywhere where a Forester/Outback can go (but with approach and departure angles, maybe not), but not sure until i try.

For us, the toughest stretch we have tried is just an unmaintained road in a city, actually worse than it sounds, handled the big potholes well. I did find it harder to see the holes in front of the car (compared to our Forester), which was expected.

But really our car is still untested.
Merged your post with this thread. See the video of above.

Basically, you can push the Ascent, but it would definitely benefit from off-road tires and a lift if you need to do rough stuff.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We've got two inbound stock units that we're going to lift. I'll see about getting pictures here when they show back up.

We have all the parts for the lift and tires ready to go, but we haven't had an Ascent available to do it to yet :( We've kept one test drive model in stock, but everything else, even the models that fall through get sold within a day or two.

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have all the parts for the lift and tires ready to go, but we haven't had an Ascent available to do it to yet :( We've kept one test drive model in stock, but everything else, even the models that fall through get sold within a day or two.

Volunteer yours! Or mine! :grin:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've got two inbound stock units that we're going to lift. I'll see about getting pictures here when they show back up.
Hoping either one of you guys does a detailed write up of the whole thing :)

Very curious about lifting, but also curious about MPG hit and what other wheels fit etc. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hoping either one of you guys does a detailed write up of the whole thing :)

Very curious about lifting, but also curious about MPG hit and what other wheels fit etc. :)
The MPG hit will be worse than any of you want to hear. My stock, NA XJ/Cherokee 4.0 straight 6 could get 18-20 on the highway when it was stock. After the tires and lift that dropped to 16. The Jeep got about 11-12 mpg. I know it's not the same vehicle, but the Ascent will be int he boost more often with both. Here is an analogy with my XTs. When I bought the 2006 , she would get about 20 mixed. 17 (sticker) for all urban. After building and tuning, she gets about 13 where she used to 17. She would still get 24-26 all highway (24 sticker) Cherry (my stock-ish 2005) would get about 20 mixed and about 17 all urban. After tuning shes struggles to hit 16 all city. After tuning boost comes on earlier and hold longer...mpg suffers. Load will do the same thing.

If you lift this thing, and pack it full of the family...you are going to see the same abysmal MPG as 4Runner. Mileage like me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The MPG hit will be worse than any of you want to hear. My stock, NA XJ/Cherokee 4.0 straight 6 could get 18-20 on the highway when it was stock. After the tires and lift that dropped to 16. The Jeep got about 11-12 mpg. I know it's not the same vehicle, but the Ascent will be int he boost more often with both. Here is an analogy with my XTs. When I bought the 2006 , she would get about 20 mixed. 17 (sticker) for all urban. After building and tuning, she gets about 13 where she used to 17. She would still get 24-26 all highway (24 sticker) Cherry (my stock-ish 2005) would get about 20 mixed and about 17 all urban. After tuning shes struggles to hit 16 all city. After tuning boost comes on earlier and hold longer...mpg suffers. Load will do the same thing.

If you lift this thing, and pack it full of the family...you are going to see the same abysmal MPG as 4Runner. Mileage like me.

We've been lifting crosstreks, foresters, and outbacks at my dealership for about a year now and its seems to decrease them by about 5-6 mpg. It will probably be spring time before we get to see what it does to an Ascent.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We've been lifting crosstreks, foresters, and outbacks at my dealership for about a year now and its seems to decrease them by about 5-6 mpg. It will probably be spring time before we get to see what it does to an Ascent.
That seem about right...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll sell you one of ours :)

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
...curious about MPG hit and what other wheels fit etc. :)
4-5 mpg hit on mine using stock width and circumference all terrains.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4-5 mpg hit on mine using stock width and circumference all terrains.
Wait...I thought you said you were getting 25mpg in another thread? And I thought you didn't lift yours yet, just a wheel/tire change?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I wish... these tires eat gas...

Wait...I thought you said you were getting 25mpg in another thread? And I thought you didn't lift yours yet, just a wheel/tire change?
Correct. Where I should be able to get 30mpg by being very gentle, I am getting 25mpg. I haven't lifted mine yet. But even though they likely weigh less and have less rolling inertia, my all terrains are very beastly for AT's... very much bordering on the edge of off-road, hence they get a 8/10 rating for off road, nearly as high in rain/water, etc (7/10) and even higher score in snow (10/10).

I get 18-23mpg with regular driving.

Generally, I crush rated Subaru MPG with my driving, even with a little fun.

In my opinion, the Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires are a better option for all around on road/off road with decent gas mileage, and the Continental TerrainContacts are best for those doing light off-road who want a negligible impact on gas mileage.

Anyways, I won't be lifting my Ascent. I never needed to lift the 2010 Outback, so, I'm skipping the lift on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
which dealer?

Hello Carl from a transplanted Normanite living in charlotte nc. Which OKC dealer are you at? Hopefully you'll have one lifted and still on the lot when I bring the family out in November for the holidays. I'd like to stop by and see it.

Maybe by then the rush will have backed off and you can take one for moding/testing.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Who's lift are you using, which mfg? I wonder if it is going to have the low speed "wobbles" like some of the Outbacks do.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Who's lift are you using, which mfg? I wonder if it is going to have the low speed "wobbles" like some of the Outbacks do.
Our custom guy is getting them from his regular supplier, I'm not sure who makes the lifts.

With no more than a 2" lift and appropriate tires, as well as making sure you have an alignment done, we've not had the 'wobble' issue you mention so far on any of the cars we've lifted.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.