Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
It looked like they were going fast enough that the auto braking wasn’t enough to prevent the collision.
Eyesight won’t “see” an object if you’re going more than about 35mph faster than it. So, even with ACC engaged this driver would’ve had to take action themselves to prevent this collision.
If they did nothing at all the auto braking at the last second may have at least softened the blow some.
I’d be interested to see the aftermath and I hope nobody was seriously injured!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be interesting to see how it held up...it seems like they were traveling at a pretty high rate of speed. Hope everyone escaped without serious injuries.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1) In rainy/snow/foggy conditions the eyesight usually will disable itself for safety reasons and there's a big warning telling you that it's been disabled

2) No amount of safety equipment will compensate for a driver who is texting and driving (to which I will wager my paycheck that this driver was doing) or is having a medical emergency. This is especially true at a high rate of speed because the passive driver assistant features are not designed to drive for you, only assist.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
740 Posts
Yea, they were going too fast for it to stop them given the relative speed of the truck it hit. Have to remember that the Ascent doesn't track vehicles too far away, they are relatively close when considering highway speed vs a crawl.

·
Registered
52 Posts
based Off the speed of the ascent and the speed of the essentially stopped traffic ...the driver of the ascent was paying essentially zero attention to what they were doing . Probably on their phone . Accidents like this can 100% be prevented if people just paid attention. I see these type of accidents weekly in my line of work .

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
645 Posts
Unless the owner chimes in we won't know if eyesight was functioning or if they were using acc or standard cc. Too many variables involved. Eyesight can't compensate for bad driving habits.

Also, eyesight will disable if visibility is limited by rain accumulation on the windshield, one reason we started using rainx bugwash again, the choice between eyesight not working at all in the rain vs a chance it may not react appropriately was a no-brainer (btw it has worked flawlessly).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
740 Posts
Eyesight working perfect and no rain, I have a feeling the result would have been the same. The approach appeared to be hwy speeds to what was almost standstill traffic. I don't even trust eyesight w/ACC coming to a stop light with an already stationary car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used ACC many times and I was really impressed on how it brought me to a complete smooth stop behind cars at a traffic light. Nobody knows the circumstances around this accident but I think if it was activated it would have worked or wouldn't have been that bad. Who knows. I'm going to say ACC was not activated in this accident. Still happy to know the eyesite is there...this is my first Subaru and was coming out of a 14 year old car so I'm super impressed!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eyesight has it's limitations. You can see when it kicked in. The Ascent's nose dives and the rear end starts to come loose. But with road conditions and speed and who knows the condition of the tires. Too much for Eyesight to overcome.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yep. You can see where the braking starts abruptly. Just at the beginning of the clip the headlights go from looking bright to much dimmer as the nose dives. Driver? Eyesight? don't know. Too little too late.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Like most said, vehicle was approaching at a very high rate of speed, driver not paying attention and eyesight failed beyond the 35 mph limitation.

I too have rear and from dash cams to record my trips.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question...does eyesite function differently when ACC is on as opposed to when it's not? I feel like it "works" when ACC is on and not so much when it's off

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I mean when I say off is when I'm not using ACC. I feel it's much more responsive when ACC is on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Question...does eyesite function differently when ACC is on as opposed to when it's not? I feel like it "works" when ACC is on and not so much when it's off
I think the question is specifically whether the Pre-Collision Braking System (PCBS) in the Ascent works whether or not ACC or normal CC is activated. I believe the PCBS is independent of ACC or normal CC. There are many caveats regarding PCBS as outlined in pages 25-39 of the Eyesight Owners Manual for my 2019 Ascent Limited. As noted by many others, all the benefits of Eyesight are aids to the driver, but Eyesight is fallible, so final responsibility rests with us as drivers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Ascent driver was clearly not paying attention. The Tacoma driver is almost at a dead stop, and both lanes are crawling at best. No safety system is designed to "rescue" an idiot driver.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
I think the question is specifically whether the Pre-Collision Braking System (PCBS) in the Ascent works whether or not ACC or normal CC is activated.
It's independent. That's why it needs to be specifically turned off for a car wash. ;) It's also disabled automagically when Eyesight is disabled because of heavy precipitation/visual limits being exceeded.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Precollision braking operates the same on ACC and regular driving. The only difference is on ACC the display gives the driver an idea of what eyesight sees. The display makes me feel more secure because I know it’ll react vs guessing when it’ll react without it.
Even if the driver in the video was on ACC the display likely wouldn’t have displayed the stopped vehicle because of the speed differential. For instance If it reacted to every stopped car on the shoulder when you’re going around a bend with poor lane markings you’d be screeching to a stop way too often

1 - 20 of 46 Posts