Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Ascent on Oct 2018. So far I put on 5000+ kms on it

Didn't have any issue other than a little lower mileage ( due to winter driving I am sure). But we had extreme winter weather last weekend. Weekend weather was about -24 c (-11 F) with wind chill close to -35C/ -31F. The highest temperature on the last three days ( Sat- Mon) was -19 C/ -2.2F . On top of it, we had a snow storms of more than 2 ft.

Monday morning my drive to work, I felt the car was vibrating. I was driving at speeds of 60 - 70 km/hr. The roads were ploughed, but still it was not very clean as the very low temperature and snowstorm made lots deposit which turned to hard ice and black ice. The vibration went away or reduced after a while, but became noticeable on highway at speeds of 110 - 120 km/h. I asked my wife if she feels the same. She felt the vibration and verified it. It was like the wheels are not aligned correctly. Again the roads ( high way) were not that clean, but the vibration was a regular it felt like it was coming from the machine not from the road/ wind.

Tuesday I felt the vibration not as pronounced as Monday. Tuesday the temperatures were little bit better around ( -20 C/ -4F).

Today Wednesday morning there is another moderate snowstorm which so far brought 8" snow and still coming. Today morning I felt vibration, but my wife didn't. The one I felt was so feeble, I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

So I am thinking it is the extreme low temperatures that causing it. Does it make sense? Anyone else had been driving in high speeds in extreme low temperatures(-24C/-11F or lesser) feeling pronounced rhythmic vibrations? I had Ascent all this winter so far, but temperature as high as -20c/ -4F didn't bring this issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve driven other vehicles in snow that had a vibration caused by snow being packed inbetween the spokes of the wheels thereby throwing off their balance.
Check in and around the wheels for frozen chunks of snow and ice?
Thanks I thought that too in the beginning. I actually removed some of the hard frozen snow from behind the tires on Monday evening. May be that's why the vibration got reduced. I wanted to wash it to make sure it is not related to that. But there are lots of snow on the road so I was waiting it to stop for a while to do that. But now you mentioned it, that makes sense. I will check it after the car wash.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
We’ve only had a little frost this year so far. The morning we had it the heaviest I heard a fairly loud whistling sound. I’m assuming it had to do with the frost and maybe the roof cross bars. It went away that afternoon after warming up.
Last winter though I drove a rental traverse in the snow. It got a lot of snow in the wheels and felt like they were out of balance the whole time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We’ve only had a little frost this year so far. The morning we had it the heaviest I heard a fairly loud whistling sound. I’m assuming it had to do with the frost and maybe the roof cross bars. It went away that afternoon after warming up.
Last winter though I drove a rental traverse in the snow. It got a lot of snow in the wheels and felt like they were out of balance the whole time.
That might be it. This is my first AWD in heavy snow. All other vehicles, I have previously driven on heavy snow was 2WD. With them I felt like the car was going to drift many times and was like on bumpy road, but no rhythmic vibration like this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar experience this past weekend up skiing at Stowe (temps below zero, wind chills of -30). It felt like the tires had flat spotted (like many do if they sit for a long time) even though we had been driving it throughout the weekend. Wasn't noticeable around town, but once we got on the Interstate and speed increased it was noticeable.

It got better after an hour or so, and then went away completely at our gas stop where the temps were up to 10 degrees or so.

I could chalk it up to the extremely low temps, but in 50 years of driving it's the first time I've experienced it. but overall, the tires were great in the 20" of snow and truly extreme weather conditions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today the temperature raised on 3C/37.4F here. There is lots of rain and road are slushy( we had so much snow in the first half of the week). I didn't notice any vibrations. I drove on highway faster than 120 km/h ( particularly because I had the vibration in faster speeds). Still no vibrations but Ascent was so stable and drove very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts