Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2020 Ascent Touring Window Sticker shows Economy listed at 20mpg City and 26mpg Highway. My dealer told me the mileage ratings are amazingly close. I may even get more if I drive it right.

I am an easy driver and know how to drive an automobile to obtain the best economy it can deliver. I only have about 800 miles of city driving on this car but I am only getting 14.5mpg using the long method of calculation. The dash mpg meter says 14,9 which is close to my calcs. Either way, the actual gas mileage on this car is way under the window sticker rating.

Do you think there is a problem with this car that needs to be addressed or do you think this is as good as its going to get with the 2020 Ascent?

UPDATE: I'm not sure if this is the right protocol to use for updating a post or not, but thanks to all who responded. I am relieved to learn I am jumping the gun a bit on this mileage issue. I look forward to improved mileage in the future. Other than the mileage issue I am very happy with this vehicle.

UPDATE 2: This is a great group, I may not respond to each and every reply but I read appreciate each and every one of them. I'll try to answer all questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am just under 1000 miles in my 2020 Touring...average in mixed driving is ~21mpg. I've read in the forums that this goes up over time, especially after ~2000 miles. But 15mpg is quite a bit lower than it should be in my opinion.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
The 2020 Ascent Touring Window Sticker shows Economy listed at 20mpg City and 26mpg Highway. My dealer told me the mileage ratings are amazingly close. I may even get more if I drive it right.

I am an easy driver and know how to drive an automobile to obtain the best economy it can deliver. I only have about 800 miles of city driving on this car but I am only getting 14.5mpg using the long method of calculation. The dash mpg meter says 14,9 which is close to my calcs. Either way, the actual gas mileage on this car is way under the window sticker rating.

Do you think there is a problem with this car that needs to be addressed or do you think this is as good as its going to get with the 2020 Ascent?
Welcome! If you spend some time looking you will find lots of similar posts from Ascent buyers here who were disappointed with their initial milage, expecting to see the EPA ratings right after driving off the dealer lot.

My advice is to go through your break in period as recommended and be patient as you learn the car and the car learns you.

As had been said many times, where you drive and how you drive are critical factors and there are lots of tips here if you search for "milage". Experience with other cars doesn't necessarily translate to the Accent, it's a unique car.

For me, after a year and nearly 14,000 miles, I consistently see better than EPA mileage in all categories.

Put the instant gas mileage guage on your Favorites screen in the Multi Function Display and watch how your use of the accelerator effects that. Or at least pay attention to the mileage bar graph in the center guage cluster.

Keep your foot out of the turbo, if you can feel the fake shifting then you are not going to get your best mileage.

I hope you see improvements in the coming months.

·
Registered
775 Posts
As this mentioned here, and other forums, lots of variables involved.

I was at about 14.5 for the first 2,500 miles. At 7,500 miles I am at about ~18.5. so hopefully it will get better, I noticed an improvement around 3,500 miles. But, I drive about 70% of the time on the highway and I've only seen mileage above 25mpg once. On flat surfaces with the cruise at 68, I'm lucky to get 22.5 ( my twin turbo V8 GLS450 got better mileage than this on the highway, and about the same around town, and I drove that more enthusiastically). I am very easy on the throttle, coast to stops, and do not accelerate aggressively. I would love to be one of those people that was even getting near, never mind above, rated mileage(this is actually the only car I've owned where I haven't been near rated mileage).... I wonder if some of these people or getting great mileage only drive downhill :), or always have a tail wind behind them :).

In the end, you get what you get, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. The dealer is not going to take the car back, and poor mpg is really not a legitimate complaint to them, because there are too many variables involved (unless they find an issue with the fuel injection system or the engine itself).

·
Registered
270 Posts
As this mentioned here, and other forums, lots of variables involved.

I was at about 14.5 for the first 2,500 miles. At 7,500 miles I am at about ~18.5. so hopefully it will get better, I noticed an improvement around 3,500 miles. But, I drive about 70% of the time on the highway and I've only seen mileage above 25mpg once. On flat surfaces with the cruise at 68, I'm lucky to get 22.5 ( my twin turbo V8 GLS450 got better mileage than this on the highway, and about the same around town, and I drove that more enthusiastically). I am very easy on the throttle, coast to stops, and do not accelerate aggressively. I would love to be one of those people that was even getting near, never mind above, rated mileage(this is actually the only car I've owned where I haven't been near rated mileage).... I wonder if some of these people or getting great mileage only drive downhill :), or always have a tail wind behind them :).
Out of curiosity, have you noted what gear you are in while cruising at 68 mph?

I've noticed a tendency for the car to cruise in 7th or even 6th gear if there is the slightest of inclines. This while in ECO mode with the adaptive cruise control on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think our Crosstrek (18000) and Ascent (10000-11000) has gotten better over time. We just came off of a week long road trip with the Ascent. Fully loaded inside and Thule box on top. Highway, we were around 26 mpg (65-80 mph). In the hills around Cumberland Gap (long drawn out climbs and switch back one lane roads up a mountain) dropped to 18 mpg.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I usually keep the car in drive on the highway, so it's in whichever ratio the CVT decides is best.

Sometimes I'll use manual control around town and upshift early. Every once in a while the car wants to hang around 3000 RPMs even when I'm on a flat surface going 35-45 miles an hour, and I'll 'manually' upshift the transmission so that it's in a higher, more efficient gear. This happens under a completely no/low-load situation.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! If you spend some time looking you will find lots of similar posts from Ascent buyers here who were disappointed with their initial milage, expecting to see the EPA ratings right after driving off the dealer lot.

My advice is to go through your break in period as recommended and be patient as you learn the car and the car learns you.

As had been said many times, where you drive and how you drive are critical factors and there are lots of tips here if you search for "milage". Experience with other cars doesn't necessarily translate to the Accent, it's a unique car.

For me, after a year and nearly 14,000 miles, I consistently see better than EPA mileage in all categories.

Put the instant gas mileage guage on your Favorites screen in the Multi Function Display and watch how your use of the accelerator effects that. Or at least pay attention to the mileage bar graph in the center guage cluster.

Keep your foot out of the turbo, if you can feel the fake shifting then you are not going to get your best mileage.

I hope you see improvements in the coming months.

I've noticed a tendency for the car to cruise in 7th or even 6th gear if there is the slightest of inclines. This while in ECO mode with the adaptive cruise control on.
No, I have not checked what gear the car was actually in

I have not checked to see what gear the car was actually in at freeway speeds, but will soon.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
No, I have not checked what gear the car was actually in
I have not checked to see what gear the car was actually in at freeway speeds, but will soon.
It's my impression, which could be wrong, that when you have the gear selector in "D" the transmission is never really in a gear except for 1, the lowest and 8, the highest ratios. In between, its adjusting the CVT based on speed and throttle input.

I've noticed watching the tach that it will drop down to the closest "gear" when moving the selector from "D" to "M". Which on the highway is 7 and the tach jumps up a couple of hundred RPMs. If I don't touch the paddles and move back to "D" the RPMs settle back down as it upshifts into 8th.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It's my impression, which could be wrong, that when you have the gear selector in "D" the transmission is never really in a gear except for 1, the lowest and 8, the highest ratios. In between, its adjusting the CVT based on speed and throttle input.

I've noticed watching the tach that it will drop down to the closest "gear" when moving the selector from "D" to "M". Which on the highway is 7 and the tach jumps up a couple of hundred RPMs. If I don't touch the paddles and move back to "D" the RPMs settle back down as it upshifts into 8th.
I talked to one of the sales reps and she claimed that a few of her buyers drive on the freeway in manual mode and select gear 8 while traveling on level ground. I'll have to experiment with that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I should also add that I often manually shift up to 8 th on the highway if it appears the car's in a numerically higher ratio than it should be. My goal on the highway is always maximum efficiency!!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
For me upshifting on the highway has no effect based upon watching the tach.

Reactions: Bekki

·
Registered
67 Posts
Following. In the same boat! I really hope it will improve. Driving around town I can’t get it above 18.5 no matter how much attention I pay to the mpg bar. At a little over 4K on it now.
And I’m a very soft driver as well. Manual shifting under normal driving conditions hasn’t even crossed my mind! (the pedal shifters are great for downhill speed control in the mountains)

What really, really positively surprised me was our gas milage on our first 2 trips towing. Few hundred miles away. We tow a appr. 4000lb pop-up Trailer. Coastal SoCal, some hills. Set ACC to 55 or 58 and just drive easy in the right lanes on the fwy and both times we started with getting above 20mpg. The longer we drove it got a little lower to 19.6 mpg. That is awesome! I’ve read reports far worse for towing (it’s heavily trailer dependent I’m thinking)

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Following. In the same boat! I really hope it will improve. Driving around town I can’t get it above 18.5 no matter how much attention I pay to the mpg bar. At a little over 4K on it now.
And I’m a very soft driver as well. Manual shifting under normal driving conditions hasn’t even crossed my mind! (the pedal shifters are great for downhill speed control in the mountains)

What really, really positively surprised me was our gas milage on our first 2 trips towing. Few hundred miles away. We tow a appr. 4000lb pop-up Trailer. Coastal SoCal, some hills. Set ACC to 55 or 58 and just drive easy in the right lanes on the fwy and both times we started with getting above 20mpg. The longer we drove it got a little lower to 19.6 mpg. That is awesome! I’ve read reports far worse for towing (it’s heavily trailer dependent I’m thinking)
Wow! I'd be really happy if I get up to 18.5 in town. Being in the low 14.x in town has me concerned a bit but it appears the mileage will improve with age, like us and good wine. I don't know exactly what ratio gear 8 is but my guess is it's a pretty tall gear and most probably the car would have to be subjected to some pretty light loads to ever automatically shift into that 8th gear. I'm wondering if while driving (with nothing in tow) in manual 8 on the open highway (watching for engine lugging of course) would be a viable option. I'll have to experiment with that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That

That's very interesting and might take this discussion off-topic to the "shift" points. (I generally like them for engine breaking.) What I (and apparently others) have noticed is that I might be cruising at 65 and the tach will show 2500 (or something, I'm just making up numbers). If I hit the + shift paddle while still in Drive, the tach will fall indicating lower RPM and the display shows "8." Shortly thereafter, the tach will show larger RPM as the discplay goes back to "D."

I'm not saying this is a problem, just an observation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow! I'd be really happy if I get up to 18.5 in town. Being in the low 14.x in town has me concerned a bit but it appears the mileage will improve with age, like us and good wine. I don't know exactly what ratio gear 8 is but my guess is it's a pretty tall gear and most probably the car would have to be subjected to some pretty light loads to ever automatically shift into that 8th gear. I'm wondering if while driving (with nothing in tow) in manual 8 on the open highway (watching for engine lugging of course) would be a viable option. I'll have to experiment with that.
I'll second that! I'm generally happy with my mileage, but I'm at more like 17 mpg around town. (Limited with bench seats)

I can tell you that high speed driving in manual to minimize RPMs is doable. On the other hand, I don't know whether there is some detrimental effect on the engine if you run it in a way different from what the computer says. I'd have to leave that question to the more mechanically minded.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow! I'd be really happy if I get up to 18.5 in town. Being in the low 14.x in town has me concerned a bit but it appears the mileage will improve with age, like us and good wine. .
Yes exactly. Don't worry too much. My mileage was way lower as well in the very beginning. With 800miles, you haven't even passed the break in period. I've read Subaru people going as high as 20.000 before they reached optimal gas mileage on their cars (other models too).
It's a little crazy too me, but I'm rather clueless to the finer nuances of engines. We gotta be patient it seems.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Regarding how the transmission reacts in various modes, I did some experimenting over the past couple of days, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting what was happening.

I tested on flat road surfaces, first at steady 45 mph, and again at steady 68mph in the second instance.

Shifting from drive to s at 45mph raised the the engine speed. If I use the paddle shifters to get 7th or 8th, the engine speed would be lower than it was when the car was in drive. so in this case the car was probably in the equivalent of about 6th gear at 45mph in drive

At 68mph, shifting from drive to S raised the engine speed as well. However when I hit the up paddle in s mode, engine speed pretty much returned back to where it was when it was in drive. so in my case the engine was operating about as efficiently as it could in drive on the highway.

When you're retired, but still have kids in school, you have time to do these kinds of experiments during the day.

These are unscientific, unofficial observations.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Regarding how the transmission reacts in various modes, I did some experimenting over the past couple of days, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting what was happening.

I tested on flat road surfaces, first at steady 45 mph, and again at steady 68mph in the second instance.

Shifting from drive to s at 45mph raised the the engine speed. If I use the paddle shifters to get 7th or 8th, the engine speed would be lower than it was when the car was in drive. so in this case the car was probably in the equivalent of about 6th gear at 45mph in drive

At 68mph, shifting from drive to S raised the engine speed as well. However when I hit the up paddle in s mode, engine speed pretty much returned back to where it was when it was in drive. so in my case the engine was operating about as efficiently as it could in drive on the highway.

When you're retired, but still have kids in school, you have time to do these kinds of experiments during the day.

These are unscientific, unofficial observations.
I had a chance to check this tonight coming home the 20 miles from my golf course.

In my 2019 Limited at a steady 45 mph on a level road the trans appeared to be in 7th gear and at 50 mph or above it was always in 8th gear.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My car tends to go into 6th at 45, even on a flat surface under no load, sometimes I'll get 7th, but when I did my non scientific experiment it always went to 6th. But as I mentioned before, my Ascent seems to like to hang on to a lower gear than necessary sometimes.. frequently, on the highway under no load at 68mph my car will want to be at 26 - 3100 RPMs, even in D, and a tap of the + pedal will usually coax it into a more sedate engine speed.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts