Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Super Moderator
My gas mileage has been absolutely horrible on this last tank of gas. I filled up a week ago and have only driven about 130 miles but I'm down to 1/2 tank. That first 1/4 went quick as I did donuts in the snow last Saturday, so there may be some correlation there. The trip A average, which I reset every fill-up, is still down around 15 but rising slowly.

Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
My gas mileage has been absolutely horrible on this last tank of gas. I filled up a week ago and have only driven about 130 miles but I'm down to 1/2 tank. That first 1/4 went quick as I did donuts in the snow last Saturday, so there may be some correlation there. The trip A average, which I reset every fill-up, is still down around 15 but rising slowly.
Mine too. But it's been cold and the longest trip I've taken in the past 2 weeks (last fill) was 9 miles RT. So...pretty much what I'd expect from a 5000# vehicle in this scenario. Headed out on a 650 mile road trip this weekend so we'll see how it does. Our last road trip, (just before this last fill up) was ~400 miles, fully loaded with 3 humans, 360# of dogs, rooftop cargo box and hitch mounted rack, over 5500' pass both directions. Overall trip average was 23.5, which is pretty darn good.

Reactions: TheRaven

Registered
After reading all the different comments / concerns about mileage with the Ascent I thought I'd throw this out for consideration. My wife and I don't really drive trying to obtain the best mileage, we don't pay that much attention. But here are numbers for our use of our 2020 for the last year. In 2021 we drove a total of 16,763 miles which included a 5600-mile road trip. Over the year we averaged 22.73 MPG with a high of 25.76 and a low of 20.25. While not the best car for fuel economy we're happy with Ascent.

Registered
Driven ~1,500 miles so far on our 22 Limited and averaging 16 MPG. It's almost 100% in town / city driving of kids to and from school. Lots of stoplights and very steep hills to get to one of the schools. Our 08 Forester gets about 18-19 MPG doing the same daily drive. Mileage is acceptable given we enjoy the upgrade in space and comfort, but looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage we can get on a longer road trip.

Registered
I am experiencing 10.8 MPG in the city, which is appalling! I've stopped other Ascent owners on the road and they are also experiencing the same. How can this be??? Is there a glitch with the fuel management system?

Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
I am experiencing 10.8 MPG in the city, which is appalling! I've stopped other Ascent owners on the road and they are also experiencing the same. How can this be??? Is there a glitch with the fuel management system?
I get roughly double that in town. I started driving it with the goal of never going over 3k RPM during break-in, and it helped set my driving patterns. Now that I've got about 1500mi on it I allow brief excursions into "get on it!" for merging/passing/giggles. I also live in a pretty flat area so as they say; YMMV.

Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
IME brand of gas matters as well as driving style. I get +3 MPG just by buying a certain brand of mid-grade. Maybe worth trying.
I'm trying this experiment on my current tank of gas, IMO I haven't seen any better yet at about half way through the tank.

I'm currently around 6k miles on the clock and I'm seeing consistent 20mpg tanks (When I first got my Ascent I was seeing 15-17 mph). I think this is due to a few factors: starting to reap the benefits of break in, tempering my driving a bit (particularly in town), and more highway time mixed in (likely the biggest factor).

Still, all of the in-town Driving I was always doin is still there. On the highway I'm doing less spirited acceleration, but keeping up with traffic (which here in NJ is 75 or so).

Registered
I'm pretty (0.0) at the MPG when I'm stuck doing 55. Easy high 20's with fairly common excursions into low 30's. Wind resistance is a thing, yo.

I've been looking for an easy source of non Ethanol-cut gas here, but it's all pita marinas or race-shops. Meh. I really want to try taking the E10% out of the equation and see since there's been pretty strong reporting of gains without it. I mean; thermodynamically it makes sense as there is less energy storage in E as opposed to pure dino-juice. I just want to see it for myself.

Registered
I commute 20 miles one way to work about half of that open road. I never counted the number of stops I have to make in town but I would estimate around 20 depending on if i catch the lights or not. I average 20 - 24 mpg in my 2020. Right now I am showing 5000 or so miles on the trip and 24 mpg but that includes 600-700 miles of open road driving on a trip.

Registered
Ascent also suffers from the bane of all 4-bangers, mileage drops when you run the A/C. I'm out early and can usually have it off in the morning.

IME all windows down roof wide open can still get better MPG than closed/air on!

Registered
Ascent also suffers from the bane of all 4-bangers, mileage drops when you run the A/C. I'm out early and can usually have it off in the morning.

IME all windows down roof wide open can still get better MPG than closed/air on!
Interesting you bring that up... I was testing this last weekend on a 3hr trip I made. Results seemed to point towards windows up being slightly more efficient, but it was hella windy that day and may have skewed the results.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
At low speeds, windows and roof open has little impact on fuel economy. At highways speeds, however...things get bunched up and it's not going to be as optimal as closed with AC in modern vehicles that have the particular aerodynamics they do.

Registered
Interesting you bring that up... I was testing this last weekend on a 3hr trip I made. Results seemed to point towards windows up being slightly more efficient, but it was hella windy that day and may have skewed the results.
For me, 55-62 mph, rural area, light traffic, almost level

21 - 34 of 34 Posts