Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and didn't find any information on the Velox wheels through Costco. I'm considering purchasing 18" wheels to mount a winter tire on my Touring, so those popped up. Set would be about $799+tax.

The wheels are 18x8.0 +40
PCD:5-100.0/114.3
HUB BORE:73.10

They suggest a tire size of 245/60-18 on these, so I'd get the X-Ice in that size.

Alternatively, I'll just get the X-Ice in the 20", I just can't decide what I want to do (as usual).

Any favorites for a winter tire set-up? Or should I just not worry about it and get the new Michelin CrossClimate2 and call it a day? I'm in the PNW, we do ski 1-2x a week so deal with ice and snow up on the mountain, and we do road trips from Seattle back down to California. So I'm just not sure, really. I've also looked at the 18" LP Adventure wheels on their website, which is another alternative. Those are KM708 BULLY - 18X8 ET38 - 5X114.3 Hmmm...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
What I was unable to determine at the time I looked at those a while back is the critical weight rating specification...you need at least 1800 lbs for the Ascent. Otherwise, they are very attractive looking wheels. There are still more tire choices for 18" wheels in OEM size than 20" if that matters to you long term. I prefer the look of 20s, but if I were going to put out money for alternative wheels, I'd likely buy 18s so I could actually use my favorite tires on my Ascent. (not going to happen, however...I can't justify the cost)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I was unable to determine at the time I looked at those a while back is the critical weight rating specification...you need at least 1800 lbs for the Ascent. Otherwise, they are very attractive looking wheels. There are still more tire choices for 18" wheels in OEM size than 20" if that matters to you long term. I prefer the look of 20s, but if I were going to put out money for alternative wheels, I'd likely buy 18s so I could actually use my favorite tires on my Ascent. (not going to happen, however...I can't justify the cost)
That's the other option I'm looking at - for about the same price, I could get OEM / takeoff 18" from a dealer or shop. I see a bunch online / on eBay, I just like the black better :)

I think my Costco charges $30 to swap out tires - that's a lot of swaps to get to the added cost for an entire new set of wheels. Wheels + tires + TPMS sensors and install is going to be somewhere around $1800 no matter how I slice it. The 20" X ice are $850 which would include installation. Hmph. Where's that money tree? I want the lift, too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work @ costco tire center and i highly not recommending those tires. LoL
They look nice and all that but look for better brand for almost the same brand. And the paint on those wheels are so thin and they chip very easily.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The CrossClimate 2 are not sold in 18" for the Ascent size yet. I spoke with a rep from Michelin and they said they will be out this spring. There are 2 other flavors of CrossClimate tires in 18" though; the SUV and the +. The SUV has a larger load rating and more side wall plies. However none of the CrossClimates are recommended for off pavement driving for anything more than short distances. Meaning; they are not off roading tires.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I searched the forum and didn't find any information on the Velox wheels through Costco. I'm considering purchasing 18" wheels to mount a winter tire on my Touring, so those popped up. Set would be about $799+tax.

The wheels are 18x8.0 +40
PCD:5-100.0/114.3
HUB BORE:73.10

They suggest a tire size of 245/60-18 on these, so I'd get the X-Ice in that size.

Alternatively, I'll just get the X-Ice in the 20", I just can't decide what I want to do (as usual).

Any favorites for a winter tire set-up? Or should I just not worry about it and get the new Michelin CrossClimate2 and call it a day? I'm in the PNW, we do ski 1-2x a week so deal with ice and snow up on the mountain, and we do road trips from Seattle back down to California. So I'm just not sure, really. I've also looked at the 18" LP Adventure wheels on their website, which is another alternative. Those are KM708 BULLY - 18X8 ET38 - 5X114.3 Hmmm...
I purchased a set of Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires and put them on the stock 20 inch rims. Very happy so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.