Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my wife parked our 2019 Ascent, put the parking brake on, and turned off the car. Ten minutes later, she went to start the car and all the dash lights came on like normal while pressing the brake pedal. The car wouldn't start or even turn over. The fan was running in the engine compartment. We tried pressing the ignition again while pressing the brake pedal to turn it off, but it wouldn't turn off either. The dash continued to stay all lit up and if we put it in Neutral, it would tell us to put it in park to start it. After going through the same process for several more minutes, I took my key fob outside of the car about 5' away as my wife's was in the car still. It then started up immediately. I then tried it several more times on my own and it starts fine. Has anyone had this happen to them or have a solution or idea why it's happening? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Yes, once when I forgot to put the car in park when I turned it off, and twice when I tried shifting before it started.

One other person reported it happening when they pressed and held the start button. It's press, release immediately, and then wait for the computer to start the car a second later.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. We just came from a Prius and it’s a push button on and off, but the vehicle reacts differently. Probably need to get used to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have had this problem on both our 2019 Ascent and more recently our 2020 replacement Ascent. It just happened again last weekend. Pull into our driveway, put the car in park, and hit the start/stop button. The engine turned off, but EVERYTHING else remained on. Could still shift the car, AC still on, Radio still on, dash lit up like a christmas tree. Remained this way for over 30 minutes...pushing the start/stop button did nothing, holding down the start/stop button did nothing...as I was just about to disconnect the battery, I held the start/stop button down for 20 seconds or so until it turned amber again, then I shifted into drive, and back to park, hit the start/stop button again and it shut off.

Prior to this, in our 2019 and once before this in the 2020 this symptom would only occur for about 30 seconds before the system reset itself.

This is troubling behavior and clearly indicates (at least to me) a software problem that is not addressed properly yet. I have yet to call my local dealer as I know the outcome...they will find a bunch of fault codes, but nothing that would have caused "that" and give me the car back. I have the whole thing on video...again. I do love the car, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
We have had this problem on both our 2019 Ascent and more recently our 2020 replacement Ascent. It just happened again last weekend. Pull into our driveway, put the car in park, and hit the start/stop button. The engine turned off, but EVERYTHING else remained on. Could still shift the car, AC still on, Radio still on, dash lit up like a christmas tree. Remained this way for over 30 minutes...pushing the start/stop button did nothing, holding down the start/stop button did nothing...as I was just about to disconnect the battery, I held the start/stop button down for 20 seconds or so until it turned amber again, then I shifted into drive, and back to park, hit the start/stop button again and it shut off.

Prior to this, in our 2019 and once before this in the 2020 this symptom would only occur for about 30 seconds before the system reset itself.

This is troubling behavior and clearly indicates (at least to me) a software problem that is not addressed properly yet. I have yet to call my local dealer as I know the outcome...they will find a bunch of fault codes, but nothing that would have caused "that" and give me the car back. I have the whole thing on video...again. I do love the car, but this is getting a little ridiculous.
That suggests a hardware problem. Possibly a shifter sensor. I'd love to see the video. I'll share it with some people I know, maybe we can figure out something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Robert -
You are right, I guess it could also be a bad piece of hardware. On the 2019, we were relatively certain it was somehow linked to the steering wheel being locked as it was a problem that was slightly different in that it was only experienced on startup (and yes, we know to take the tension off the steering wheel). This was on shutdown, so your diagnosis makes sense for sure. Happy to share the video with you. I actually have 3...the first two from when it happened and the third from 30 minutes later when I got it to shut down. Let me know how you would prefer to get the videos.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Hi Robert -
You are right, I guess it could also be a bad piece of hardware. On the 2019, we were relatively certain it was somehow linked to the steering wheel being locked as it was a problem that was slightly different in that it was only experienced on startup (and yes, we know to take the tension off the steering wheel). This was on shutdown, so your diagnosis makes sense for sure. Happy to share the video with you. I actually have 3...the first two from when it happened and the third from 30 minutes later when I got it to shut down. Let me know how you would prefer to get the videos.
A YouTube link works, of that's easy enough. Probably too big for email.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts