Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Any tips or dos and don'ts for garage storage?
My Blue Whale aka Ascent will be sitting in the garage for about 4 weeks. Chance of battery drain ? Is disconnecting the leads a good idea?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm definitely not the resident battery expert here... If your battery is in good health, I think 4 weeks would be OK but getting a little close for comfort. The OEM battery is kind of weak to begin with so I would be inclined to put it on a battery tender to keep it topped up, rather than disconnecting it. It'll be fully charged rather than partially drained when you return. ...and you can use the app to check in on the car if you wanted to. FYI if the hood is open for a charger, you cannot perform a remote start (not that you'd want to).

Most everything else should be fine but I have no idea if 4 weeks is long enough to get flat spots on the tires. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I stored ours, locked, in our garage for 7 days about a week after getting it in October 2018. Came home and the battery was deader than a door-nail - no interior lights, nothing lighting up on the dash - nothing. Had to use the valet key to unlock the driver's door, then jumped it with one of those small book-sized jump starters (which, BTW, will activate the alarm once it fires up). I let it run for awhile and it was good from that point forward. Took it to the dealer the following week and they stated the battery was good, and my battery tester said the same. And since someone will ask, both fobs were left at home and were in a room located about 25 feet from the garage, but were not stored in a protective pouch designed to prevent them from "talking" to the car. Have not stored it for that length of time since, so I don't know if it would happen again. As a side note, when the Ascent was stored in my garage we had parked our 2015 Forester at the airport for that week and it started up fine when we returned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm definitely not the resident battery expert here... If your battery is in good health, I think 4 weeks would be OK but getting a little close for comfort. The OEM battery is kind of weak to begin with so I would be inclined to put it on a battery tender to keep it topped up, rather than disconnecting it. It'll be fully charged rather than partially drained when you return. ...and you can use the app to check in on the car if you wanted to. FYI if the hood is open for a charger, you cannot perform a remote start (not that you'd want to).

Most everything else should be fine but I have no idea if 4 weeks is long enough to get flat spots on the tires. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on that.
The tender suggestion is a good one, it is a low voltage trickle charge that has been around for many years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.