Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is an app out there that can use the front 180 camera as a dash cam? It would certainly simplify things if you didn't have the hassle of mounting an additional camera (a fourth on the touring) and all the wiring that goes with it. It would also be one less reason to have your vehicle broken into. If memory for the system was an issue, a USB memory stick in one or the many USB ports would certainly be of useful.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
There is no such app. Sorry.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
I wish. It's an analog camera, and a simple, very standard, analog video feed into the display. It would require more than just app work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no such app. Sorry.
Thank you. I noticed that being a 180 deg camera, things appear to move too quickly to be of any real help (i.e. only good for low speed close ups). I was also wondering, is there any site with info showing an assembly of the engine and identifying the hoses and cables? I can readily find this for the previous generation engines, but not for the FA24. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,195 Posts
Dash cams behind the windshield stay clean, the front 180 gets too dirty to show details like license plates. Windshield gets dirty, hit the wipers and the dash cam can "see" again. Today in the rain, I turned on the 180 at low speed and it was a total blur from raindrops and dirt.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yep. I have the Garmin Dashcam Mini mounted on the windshield just below the rear view mirror mount. The cord runs under the edge of the headliner and behind the left A pillar cover to power taps on the fuse panel. The camera hides behing the mirror and none of it is visible from the seats. It just sits there innocuously doing its thing. It'll still be there recording during and in the aftermath of just about any front end collision that might take out or obscure the grill mounted camera.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is what happens to me if I watch the front cam while the car is in motion...🤪😥🥵🤮, culminating with a 💥🚑🏨🤕....And then a😡 from Mrs Garris. And since I have a touring model, I can speed up the nausea by putting on the rear video feed to the rear mirror also.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,195 Posts
Yep. I have the Garmin Dashcam Mini mounted on the windshield just below the rear view mirror mount. The cord runs under the edge of the headliner and behind the left A pillar cover to power taps on the fuse panel. The camera hides behing the mirror and none of it is visible from the seats. It just sits there innocuously doing its thing. It'll still be there recording during and in the aftermath of just about any front end collision that might take out or obscure the grill mounted camera.
Maybe this is addressed elsewhere, but the Eyesight defines a "forbidden" zone which includes the location of your dash cam. It seems every dash cam needs to be located similarly. What exactly is Subaru forbidding in this area? Is it precaution overkill? Right now my cheapo cam is just sitting on the dash above the info screen but the hood blocks the bottom of the field.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
It's the interesting reflections the objects can cause, for one... and that it actually sees parts of that area directly, for another. For instance, my dash cam, that's directly next to the passenger side Eyesight camera, gets a whole reflection of my inside console on it. I suspect something that's not known by the system might confuse it. Also, as you can tell, with the similar angle, the Eyesight camera would need to look through another device located below the rear view mirror.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts