Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I safely use my Ascent with push-button ignition to jump start another car? If yes, should I keep my Ascent engine running or off when doing the jump start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can jump another car whether you car starts with a key or with a pushbutton. You should keep the car with the good battery running to be sure that the car with the dead battery doesn't drain the good battery. Also make your jumper cable connections on the good battery first, being careful to keep the free ends separated, then make the positive cable connection on the car being jumped. Finally, make the negative connection on a bolt or other grounded point away from the battery on the car being jumped. This last point is important as you don't want a spark near the battery of the car being jumped which could cause hydrogen gas generated by the battery to explode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whether a vehicle is push button or a keyed start, the jump process is the same.
Thanks for the responses. I was just put off because the how-to website I found said "If either vehicle has an electronic ignition system or is an alternatively fueled vehicle, the use of jumper cables may damage it."

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can jump another car whether your car starts with a key or with a pushbutton. You should keep the car with the good battery running to be sure that the car with the dead battery doesn't drain the good battery. Also make your jumper cable connections on the good battery first, being careful to keep the free ends separated, then make the positive cable connection on the car being jumped. Finally, make the negative connection on a bolt or other grounded point away from the battery on the car being jumped. This last point is important as you don't want a spark near the battery of the car being jumped which could cause hydrogen gas generated by the battery to explode.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I was just put off because the how-to website I found said "If either vehicle has an electronic ignition system or is an alternatively fueled vehicle, the use of jumper cables may damage it."
I can see why the concern. It really is all about doing it correctly. In fact the cables I have always owned had a tag with instructions.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
Actually I always shut down the engine in the jumper car in order to protect the alternator and electronics from overload. If I have a wrench I also disconnect the battery to be sure. If the dead car doesn't start in 2 attempts, my good Samaritan act is over since I don't want my battery dead too.

It's a good idea to only attempt to jump a car with a similar size battery to your own. A tiny econo-boxes battery isn't going to have the cranking capacity to jump a truck or a luxury car.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle that doesn't have an electronic ignition system nowadays. Non-electronic would mean points in a distributor. It'd have be a real classic, in one way or another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts