Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have seen many posts where owners ask what is the purpose of the ledge in the dashboard and door of the Ascent. Other than a convenient place to put your phone as a passenger, my 91 yo mother finds it very handy to get in and out of my Ascent. The perfect height to lean on, and the perfect shape that her arthritic hands can rest on the ledge to boost in and out of the car. I was worried after I gave my Tahoe to my son, which has a handle on the door pillar my mother used to get in and out , but she loves the ledge on the Ascent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yikes! Please be careful, it isn't meant for that. If you lean or pull hard enough on it, it will pop right off. It's only held in place by a few clips, not bolts or even screws. I know because that's what happened to my 92-year-old mother. She almost fell. Now she uses the grab handle on the top of the door which is designed to hold the weight of a person and is securely held in place with bolts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I sure wish they had put a 12v socket or USB port in the dash ledges. It's a perfect place to put your phone, except that there's nowhere to plug it in.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
I sure wish they had put a 12v socket or USB port in the dash ledges. It's a perfect place to put your phone, except that there's nowhere to plug it in.
Where there's a will theres a way. If I had the time to fool around with it I bet it wouldnt be hard to make a 12v outlet and stick a slim usb charger in there. I second your opinion that it would be a great place for an outlet! My fiancee hates digging in that center cubby hole for the usb plug. She never wants hers on CarPlay

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where there's a will theres a way. If I had the time to fool around with it I bet it wouldnt be hard to make a 12v outlet and stick a slim usb charger in there. I second your opinion that it would be a great place for an outlet! My fiancee hates digging in that center cubby hole for the usb plug. She never wants hers on CarPlay
I wish I was that handy or had a vendor I trusted that much. Adding a 12v outlet to a dash space like that is no easy task, either cosmetically or technically (if you do it right, vs. just splicing a power cable to the battery terminals, vs. say tying it to an existing fused, ignition-switched circuit or if you direct power it, ignition switching and fusing it properly so it doesn't drain the battery).

In terms of never wanting something on Carplay, I kind of wish they had doubled up on USB sockets, installing them in pairs -- infotainment connected and power only. I think they make pass-thru dongles that you can use to cut the data pins, but that's kind of a nuisance.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
The ledge is two piece, with the "inner" most piece (the part farthest forward) being a part of the dash, and the part closest to the passenger being held into place by seven screws. The frame for the cover is held onto the ledge with ten clips. The cover is held onto the frame with seven clips.

So, yes, enough force will pull the cover off.

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
The ledge is two piece, with the "inner" most piece (the part farthest forward) being a part of the dash, and the part closest to the passenger being held into place by seven screws. The frame for the cover is held onto the ledge with ten clips. The cover is held onto the frame with seven clips.

So, yes, enough force will pull the cover off.

For me it is the most unattractive interior piece, gaudy and pretty much useless. I wonder if you can remove it and fashion some kind of fascia to fit . The new outback looks like it has this. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Adding a 12v outlet to a dash space like that is no easy task, either cosmetically or technically
It’s officially on my todo list now. I need to find the right 12v outlet that will look ok cosmetically, i.e. covering edges of a drilled hole. And then I’ll look for a 12v circuit that’s already there and only powered when the vehicle is on. The time may be worth it for an outlet over there for me ?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For me it is the most unattractive interior piece, gaudy and pretty much useless. I wonder if you can remove it and fashion some kind of fascia to fit . The new outback looks like it has this. Any thoughts?
I've often thought of this because I don't like the white and would prefer it in black leather. When I was doing a mod I had to remove the left side piece. It pops right off with a good pull. You could easily remove and take all the pieces to an upholsterer and have anything you want done with them. If I can find a place to reupholster it in black leather for a decent price I will.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thank you pro10is, it seems so sturdy, I had no idea it was only held by clips!
I know, me neither, it looks really sturdy and that's why my mother grabbed onto it. At her age, she is always looking for some support to hold on to. I was surprised when it partially pulled out, but I always stay there to hold her until she's firmly seated.

I don't imagine Subaru thought anyone would use it as a grab handle, but then they don't think like a ninety-something.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've often thought of this because I don't like the white and would prefer it in black leather. When I was doing a mod I had to remove the left side piece. It pops right off with a good pull. You could easily remove and take all the pieces to an upholsterer and have anything you want done with them. If I can find a place to reupholster it in black leather for a decent price I will.
Thanks, I know my local dealer has transformed premium models with leather. Better than factory but the shelving was not done It was slightly under 2k if I remember . So based on Roberts diagram the long piece should pull of easy? I don't want leather seating but I would like the shelving done in a durable pleather/leather

·
Registered
146 Posts
It’s officially on my todo list now. I need to find the right 12v outlet that will look ok cosmetically, i.e. covering edges of a drilled hole. And then I’ll look for a 12v circuit that’s already there and only powered when the vehicle is on. The time may be worth it for an outlet over there for me ?
Are you going to tap a existing circuit for power, or just to activate a relay for a power supply delivered by a non-switched power source (ie, direct run to the battery)?

IMHO, the problem of powering your socket from an existing circuit is that it might not be fused/rated with enough current headroom to support charging a phone. I'd imagine most relays wouldn't be a problem, but even then you now have the devilish problem of altering an existing circuit which could introduce gremlins.

The challenge is whether the mounting location has enough free space behind it for a clean mount. There's a decent amount of high quality dash-mount 12V sockets, but the 12v plug is kind of long and the entire socket assembly is probably gonna want a little over 2" of mounting depth.

It almost makes a person wistful for old-school rigid metal or plastic dash panels with a bunch of gap behind them.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
[
Are you going to tap a existing circuit for power, or just to activate a relay for a power supply delivered by a non-switched power source (ie, direct run to the battery)?
I haven’t done anything in the way of actual planning other than the hey that’s a good idea part. I’d prefer to just parallel off another 12v circuit that I can get to. It’ll just be for a phone charger and I’ll make sure I don’t use a usb fast charger in there. Yolo

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’m indifferent, but the wife kinda likes the shelf.

I think the white is an acquired taste that doesn’t work for a lot of people, and agree if removable and recoverable then change to taste seems straightforward enough.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm not big on the contrasting color of the shelf on the Touring ( it looks better on other trims), but it does look good at night. I wish it didn't cut into kneeroom however, as my tall wife and son are just short of legroom when they sit in tandem on that side of the car. An extra inch or so would be enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm with you. I do not mind the ledge and matching door piece being there as much as why pick a such a light color against a black interior. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm with you. I do not mind the ledge and matching door piece being there as much as why pick a such a light color against a black interior. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
Agreed. Another thing to hope for is that Subaru will change the color on the 2020 models to black. Then we can simply order replacement pieces. Wishful thinking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts