Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Ascent Limited 7 seater about two weeks ago and I was surprised to find that I could locate the vehicle at the rail head in Vancouver, WA even before delivery using the starlink app on my Android phone. This morning I saw that it was travelling across Washington state as I did locate vehicle every 10 minutes or so, it seems likely I should have my new Ascent in the garage today!

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone else know and see if it works for them to. Might be a bit easier then contacting your dealership to get updated info.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I did this while my car was being delivered to me. The dealer activated service the day before and I was able to track where the car was as they trailered it to me. Knew whenever they took a break and everything. Felt like a stalker. hahaha

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ordered my Ascent Limited 7 seater about two weeks ago and I was surprised to find that I could locate the vehicle at the rail head in Vancouver, WA even before delivery using the starlink app on my Android phone. This morning I saw that it was travelling across Washington state as I did locate vehicle every 10 minutes or so, it seems likely I should have my new Ascent in the garage today!

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone else know and see if it works for them to. Might be a bit easier then contacting your dealership to get updated info.
You ordered 2 weeks ago and already have a VIN to track? Also, you probably will be picking it up tomorrow as they have to do an arrival pre-check (which takes a few hours).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in Washington- only 9 a.m. there. Plenty of time to get it done today. Be optimistic!!
I like your optimism :) Plus my brother-in-law is the sales person we bought the car from ;)

You ordered 2 weeks ago and already have a VIN to track? Also, you probably will be picking it up tomorrow as they have to do an arrival pre-check (which takes a few hours).
I should clarify; mine was not a pre-order. It was 'technically' dealer inventory but it was sitting at the railhead when I purchased it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't you have to pair the phone with the vehicle to use the app?
I never had to pair my phone with the car. The car was several hundred miles away when I setup the app. I received an email shortly after doing financing for the car that gave me a temp Starlink/mysubaru password and I just followed that to create an account, download the app, then my VIN was already there and I could locate the vehicle.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Dang the tracking is pretty high-tech. Is it GPS tracking or something else?
Yes. It uses the GPS in the car and reports that outward. That GPS is also used for weather (upper display and XM/Sirius weather service, which are one in the same, really), native maps client, Starlink telematics stuff, vehicle recovery, SOS and other location aware services.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No pairing is needed. Car vin needs to be added to your starlink account.

I was able to Start car while finalizing papers in the dealers office, before final papers were singed but after starlink service was added

I did not even get into the car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As far as I know the only part of starlink that requires you to pair your phone to car first is the remote start.

Not necessary. All you need to do is download the app to your phone (and actually be subscribed to the service). I havent paired any phone to the car and the remote start works. Even the app on a tablet worked.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not necessary. All you need to do is download the app to your phone (and actually be subscribed to the service). I havent paired any phone to the car and the remote start works. Even the app on a tablet worked.

So the car doesn't have to be titled in your name? I already have a MySubaru account, so I can just add the VIN and start tracking?

·
Registered
494 Posts
So the car doesn't have to be titled in your name? I already have a MySubaru account, so I can just add the VIN and start tracking?

I believe so, but I'm not even sure if you even need to.
After my dealer activated starlink, I didnt even have to input the VIN after I installed the app. Everything was already loaded and ready to go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts