Subaru Ascent Forum banner

USB ports always powered?

23K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
Is anyone using an ipod via USB? I just happened to plug one in to usb port in center console...I'm pretty sure it was charging/playing even though car was not on. Does anyone know if these USB ports are constantly providing power?

#2 ·
Mine definitely go on/off when I turn the key. Not sure on the push start ones. Maybe they turn on when the fob is in range?

#7 ·
My experiment was only unlocking and going into the 2020 Ascent Limited that had been sitting for several hours with never touching the Start button. I also left my iPhone USB connected when locking the doors again and waiting for all lights to turn out.

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power, but the 2nd and 3rd row USB ports did not.

I would conclude the two USB ports in front center console are always providing power.

#8 ·
My experiment was only unlocking and going into the 2020 Ascent Limited that had been sitting for several hours with never touching the Start button. I also left my iPhone USB connected when locking the doors again and waiting for all lights to turn out.

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power, but the 2nd and 3rd row USB ports did not.

I would conclude the two USB ports in front center console are always providing power.
I would agree. Similar test with 2020 Touring--front 2 always have power (didn't check back USBs).

No big deal I guess, just never saw this before in any other vehicle. I always left my iPod connected in last car--my guess is that if I were to do so now, it would keep playing/charging even though I'd left the vehicle.

#9 ·
This is interesting. After reading this thread I had to go out and check my Premium again. The front USB’s are only powered when the start/stop button has been pressed once or twice. As soon as everything is off again, so are the USB’s. Seems to me that they operate differently on different trim levels perhaps.

#10 ·
Ok, I just checked my Limited with several different scenarios using my iPhone Xr and it's Lightning cable.

There is no power to the front USB ports until the Start button is pressed at least once.

The Touring must be different for some reason.

#11 · (Edited)
I just checked my Limited...The Touring must be different for some reason
That is different behavior than my 2020 Ascent Limited (no Technology package). So do the USB ports in the front center console have different behavior between MY19 and MY20?

Are chinchillin, Character Zero and JDV all 2020's?
Are Kevin Williams, Percy Garris, xydadx3 and GaryInMI all 2019's?

#14 ·
Now I'll preface this question by stating we have not picked up our Ascent yet... but once you park and turn the car off, doesn't the radio continue to play until you open the door? Could the USB outlets be wired in a similar manner? I know some cars do this, and some don't, so I'm just speculating.

#15 ·
but once you park and turn the car off, doesn't the radio continue to play until you open the door? Could the USB outlets be wired in a similar manner?

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power.

#19 ·
'19 Touring. Will check tomorrow about front USB power with phone plugged in ( I actually plug my phone into second row USB port as I don't like the Android auto override). But I do know that the music in my usb drive goes off as soon as the car is shut off, and switches to either Bluetooth or the radio at that point for the next 5 minutes..

#21 ·
Incorrect for some cases, but probably correct for your Ascent.

Please read the whole thread. Several of us with MY20 Ascents, irrespective of trim level, have confirmed in several different ways that our Front Seat Center Console USB ports DO continue to provide power before or after the Ascent is on.

I am very sure this is a subtle and undocumented difference between MY19 and MY20.

#28 ·
My 2019 has approach lighting. I know that various parts of the car wake up with my approach. I will test mine later. Pretty sure they turn off.

Probably just a change for the 2020 model year, but want to confirm it's not something else.

#29 ·
Off and on with the ignition or accessory mode for my 2019 with approach lighting, even if the head unit wakes up with the car off.

#30 ·
Everyone has their own opinion on this (or perhaps no opinion at all?), I guess, but a curious change between model years. Personally, I'd rather have power when car is on...or no power when car is off. I don't leave devices in the car simply to charge them, and I don't want devices to continue to play once car/accessory power is off. I haven't actually tested the play behavior yet--perhaps playing will stop while charging continues? Regardless, I think it is an odd setting.

#31 ·
I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick up one of my kids, so I finally remembered to experiment with a front and second row USB ports.

Touring model...

If you press the ignition button once, the radio will come on and the front USB port will charge your phone. when the radio turns off the USB port becomes inactive. however, when you turn the car off and have the radio on for the five minute function, the front USB port no longer charges my phone.

The middle row USB acts the same.

#32 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found this one while searching for info if my new dash cam would kill my battery or not if left plugged into one of the two USB ports on the front console.

Here are my findings for my 2021 Touring:

1. On approach lighting, both USB ports on the center console trigger my dash cam to turn on and my phone to start charging. This is before turning on anything or even unlocking the car. I am assuming the 12v cigarette lighter does the same thing

2. When unlocking the car, it also triggers power to both USB ports.

3. When car is off and right after locking it, both USB ports seems to give power for about 30-60secs (wasn't really timing), and then both shuts off power.

Hope this helps out some people as this thread has helped me.

#33 ·
This is exactly the same behavior I get on my '21 limited.

This is a bit annoying as it keeps my Android Auto Wireless device turned on. This then causes my phone to connect/disconnect from Android Auto for some time while I'm roaming in and out of wireless range in my house.

If I lock it up and walk away and don't approach it with my keys the device stays off, and all is good. But, if I dare walk into my garage with keys in my pocket the approach lights come on and the Android Auto dance begins.

Curious if there's secret factory settings that could disable this. Though I'm guessing it's just how the car is wired.

#34 ·
I just bought a late 2021 base model. I did a check and found the usb ports at least up front will stay on after shutting the car off for many many seconds. Didn't actually time it but possibly a minute causing someone to think they are constantly powered. I am installing 2 ports tapped into the fuse panel using a switch