Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using an ipod via USB? I just happened to plug one in to usb port in center console...I'm pretty sure it was charging/playing even though car was not on. Does anyone know if these USB ports are constantly providing power?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mine definitely go on/off when I turn the key. Not sure on the push start ones. Maybe they turn on when the fob is in range?

·
Registered
775 Posts
No, they do not. In fact, if you have a portable drive that stores music plugged into the USB, it goes off when you shut the car off.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
CarPlay indeed stops when the car is turned off. Unless there’s a chance you had pressed the start/stop button to accessory mode

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone, I’ll do some more testing. I would be surprised if they had power once vehicle was turned off, but sure thought the little battery indicator was green/charging.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My experiment was only unlocking and going into the 2020 Ascent Limited that had been sitting for several hours with never touching the Start button. I also left my iPhone USB connected when locking the doors again and waiting for all lights to turn out.

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power, but the 2nd and 3rd row USB ports did not.

I would conclude the two USB ports in front center console are always providing power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My experiment was only unlocking and going into the 2020 Ascent Limited that had been sitting for several hours with never touching the Start button. I also left my iPhone USB connected when locking the doors again and waiting for all lights to turn out.

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power, but the 2nd and 3rd row USB ports did not.

I would conclude the two USB ports in front center console are always providing power.
I would agree. Similar test with 2020 Touring--front 2 always have power (didn't check back USBs).

No big deal I guess, just never saw this before in any other vehicle. I always left my iPod connected in last car--my guess is that if I were to do so now, it would keep playing/charging even though I'd left the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
This is interesting. After reading this thread I had to go out and check my Premium again. The front USB’s are only powered when the start/stop button has been pressed once or twice. As soon as everything is off again, so are the USB’s. Seems to me that they operate differently on different trim levels perhaps.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Ok, I just checked my Limited with several different scenarios using my iPhone Xr and it's Lightning cable.

There is no power to the front USB ports until the Start button is pressed at least once.

The Touring must be different for some reason.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just checked my Limited...The Touring must be different for some reason
That is different behavior than my 2020 Ascent Limited (no Technology package). So do the USB ports in the front center console have different behavior between MY19 and MY20?

Are chinchillin, Character Zero and JDV all 2020's?
Are Kevin Williams, Percy Garris, xydadx3 and GaryInMI all 2019's?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is different behavior than my 2020 Ascent Limited (no Technology package). So do the USB ports in the front center console have different behavior between MY19 and MY20?

I was wondering the same. 2020 Touring for me. Checked manual and see no indication that they always have power.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts

2019 Limited.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now I'll preface this question by stating we have not picked up our Ascent yet... but once you park and turn the car off, doesn't the radio continue to play until you open the door? Could the USB outlets be wired in a similar manner? I know some cars do this, and some don't, so I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
89 Posts
but once you park and turn the car off, doesn't the radio continue to play until you open the door? Could the USB outlets be wired in a similar manner?

In all cases, the two USB ports in front center console always provided power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very well, I missed that comment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is a 19 touring, and my front two shut off when I press the engine button to shut off the car. I did this four times, and every time my phone stopped charging.

·
Registered
775 Posts
'19 Touring. Will check tomorrow about front USB power with phone plugged in ( I actually plug my phone into second row USB port as I don't like the Android auto override). But I do know that the music in my usb drive goes off as soon as the car is shut off, and switches to either Bluetooth or the radio at that point for the next 5 minutes..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone using an ipod via USB? I just happened to plug one in to usb port in center console...I'm pretty sure it was charging/playing even though car was not on. Does anyone know if these USB ports are constantly providing power?
You turn the car off and they will not charge

1 - 20 of 35 Posts