Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I plug in usb cable for android auto or plug in usb flash drive to play music it disconnects with the slightest movement of car or bump in the road. It disconnects and starts playing radio and sometimes will reconnect. Any ideas on how to solve? I have tried different cables.
These are the 2 usb slots up front.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
If it’s not the cable it could be the charging port on your phone. Does your phone have USB-C or micro-USB? Micro-USB ports tend to get damaged more from attempts to plug the cord in upside down...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2-year-old Samsung Galaxy S8. Swapped cables and still had flaky connection. AT&T was running a great promotion, so I got a new phone and the problem was solved. Not the 'easy' answer you're looking for but I'd bet that the connection to the vehicle is not the issue.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it’s not the cable it could be the charging port on your phone. Does your phone have USB-C or micro-USB? Micro-USB ports tend to get damaged more from attempts to plug the cord in upside down...
I have one with micro usb and one with usb-C. I have the same problem with both and also with a usb stick. The one with usb-C is a new samsung s 9+

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I have one with micro usb and one with usb-C. I have the same problem with both and also with a usb stick. The one with usb-C is a new samsung s 9+
I’d recommend having the dealer take a look if you’ve already eliminated cables and the phones themselves as the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you carry your phone in your pocket look for some pocket lint, take a real close look at the port on your phone, can of air works pretty good otherwise carefully use a round toothpick (nice sharp point), to clean it.

·
Banned
1 Posts
When I plug in usb cable for android auto or plug in usb flash drive to play music it disconnects with the slightest movement of car or bump in the road. It disconnects and starts playing radio and sometimes will reconnect. Any ideas on how to solve? I have tried different cables.
These are the 2 usb slots up front.
I thought I was the only one with this issue. I have been in my 2019 Ascent Premium since January of this year and this was not an issue at first. After about 3 months in, I noticed my phone would disconnect, causing the radio to automatically start playing for about 8 seconds before reconnecting. It has gotten to the point now that if I hit a small bump, it disconnects. I have ran all diagnostics and tests to make absolutely certain that this was not an issue on my end. (Trying 5 seperate phone cords, testing out 2 different phones than my S9+, whoch I also test out different cords.).Wiggling the cord at the base of where it connects within the Ascent disconnects instantly. I have tested both top and bottom USB ports in the front, but to no avail.

This is especially frustrating seeing as though this vehicle is only a year old. I know it isn't a major issue like something mechanically wrong, but you'd expect something like this to function without issue at least within it's first year of purchase. Also note that when it keeps disconnecting, it puts the phone in USB mode and the only way to connect back to Android Auto is if the radio is hard reset (holding in the power button on the radio for about 10 or so seconds and it will flicker off and show the startup starlink logo) and also while your phone is unplugged, restart and once both are fully loaded up, reconnect the USB to the vehicle and it will work again... But this is all unnecessary if the USB did not disconnect, ESPECIALLY if you are driving and currently using waze when it decides to disconnect. I am glad most people do not have this issue. Thank you for acknowledging this issue Gizmotony, as I was starting to wonder if it was just an isolated incident on my end. Perhaps others have had this issue and if so, could also confirm that the USB ports are having the same issue with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.