Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought the 2019 Subaru Ascent Premium, and right off the bat I noticed the lowbeams from the stock headlights were not to par. It's a shame that the new 2021 got a huge upgrade in the headlights and not making it a standard feature. Personally believe all Subaru's should have standard HIDs.

I have been looking into upgrading the stock headlights with LEDs. Anyone have any recommendations. The wife drives this car more, and would feel more comfortable with her having greater visibility without cheap-ing out fully.

Currently looking at 9005: MORIMOTO 2STROKE 3.0

·
Registered
852 Posts
To the OP those ones you’re looking at would be for the high beams 9005/HB3 ,for the low beams we use the H11’s.
I currently use a full Hikari setup both low & hi beam.
Recently for shits & giggles I ordered a HID kit from DDM Tuning.On a recent night trip going home I observed the forward light throw was very good as well as the side to side spread and this with some steady rain coming down.Well needless to say other drivers found them bright ,maybe too bright.It seemed like every other car was flashing me and I was not happy about it.
The kit used : DDM Tuning HID Kit 35w bulb(recommended)

The very next day I put the Hikari’s back in,they’re actually my favorite LED’s but just wanted to try out the HID’s in the projector housing 👎🏾
To the OP swapping out the OEM halogens in our type of headlight housing is not legally allowed nor approved so proceed with caution with any future modifications.
What I do like starting with the ‘21’s all the Ascent models will come with LED’s as standard equipment 👍🏾

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about legality. No one flashes me with my Beamtech led bulbs

Y’all are too much LOL
I do not recall reading anyone's posting saying do not install them because they are illegal for use on the road. We are saying be aware they are illegal and make your own fully informed decision. It is not up to me to make that decision for others one way or another. I have a limited so I already have the LED adaptive headlamps.

If you are going to use them on the road, please adjust them appropriately.

It is my understanding those LED replacement bulbs are legal for off road use.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I do not recall reading anyone's posting saying do not install them because they are illegal for use on the road. We are saying be aware they are illegal and make your own fully informed decision. It is not up to me to make that decision for others one way or another. I have a limited so I already have the LED adaptive headlamps.

If you are going to use them on the road, please adjust them appropriately.

It is my understanding those LED replacement bulbs are legal for off road use.
That’s all I was trying to communicate to the OP and share my experience with a HID kit .

·
Registered
852 Posts
Candlepowerforums...plenty conversations about aftermarket LED’s,HID’s,retrofit kits & even halogen modifications.
Read a thread where the forum guru called out the owner of bulbfacts.Lets say it made for some interesting reading for sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are led bulbs out there that will have glare and inappropriate cutoff because the light doesn’t fill the projector. Beamtech does a good job replicating the light output of a halogen. It has a very nice cutoff and good light.

Proceed with caution because some will blind other drivers. But Beamtech in our cars work very well. Can’t speak for other LED bulbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it should be stated that what could be illegal is modifying your headlights wherein it would blind oncoming traffic. That is aspect of the law. No one is going to take your bulbs out or inspect them. HID, Halogen or LED. If you modified your headlights you run the risk of getting a fix it ticket if a police officer determines they are blinding. You also run the risk of blinding in coming traffic and causing them to hit you.

If bulbs don’t match the projector lens they can cause light to go above the cutoff line which would be similar to driving with hi beams on.

If the LED replacement bulbs have same cutoff no one is ever going to care.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I think it should be stated that what could be illegal is modifying your headlights wherein it would blind oncoming traffic. That is aspect of the law. No one is going to take your bulbs out or inspect them. HID, Halogen or LED. If you modified your headlights you run the risk of getting a fix it ticket if a police officer determines they are blinding. You also run the risk of blinding in coming traffic and causing them to hit you.

If bulbs don’t match the projector lens they can cause light to go above the cutoff line which would be similar to driving with hi beams on.

If the LED replacement bulbs have same cutoff no one is ever going to care.
Of course there are no road checkpoints and if installed and used properly there would likely never be an issue.

- but if an accident occurs and the investigation determines that the LED blinded a driver causing the accident, the person who modified the bulbs could be held responsible for the damage, injuries or any deaths that occurred.

We all know how each and every driver and car owner always does the right thing when it comes to others on the road.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
That’s quite the reach 😂

I am not an attorney so I am not fear mongering or putting money in my pocket on this issue, Just stating the facts. The risk is there and like anything else in life we make our individual choices. I just encourage everyone who changes the oem lighting to LED to set them up and use them properly. Not doing so is irresponsible.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
Any modification of a lighting system is not legal in the United States. The system (which includes the housing, the reflector or projector, and the clear lens in front) is designed, literally, around the intended lighting source. Increasing the shape or intensity of the light source WILL bring the lighting system out of compliance with FMVSS 108. There will be more glare than allowed in many areas of the beam. "I don't get flashed" is not a measure of compliance, nor is it an indicator of the level of discomfort or disability glare reaching (or not reaching) other drivers.

LED retrofits in halogen housings are not legal. That is a statement of fact. This is why every LED or HID retrofit kit will say it's "legal for offroad use only." The manufacturers know the rules and they know the law. Their products are not legal for use on the road. Will you ever get caught or fined for it? No, probably not.

I think most care less about the legality of retrofits than the effectiveness of them. In nearly every case, they significantly brighten the beam for the driver and the driver will perceive he or she has better lighting. The lighting may or may not actually be "better" in every situation. Some lighting systems significantly overdrive the foreground area to increase comfort of "good lights". More light in the foreground (from a brighter retrofit) can actually harm your distance vision. Is that happening in the Ascent? Without instrumented testing, nobody can say (our eyes are surprisingly poor judges of their ability to see).

It's good that Subaru is putting the steering responsive LEDs in every Ascent in 2021. They're a big improvement over the halogen headlights.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Getting back to the OP's question;
I used Hikari high and low beams, but returned the high beams for Qcheye, which I liked better for some reason I can't remember now.

Here's what I use for the low beams;
Amazon Low Beams
Really nice, easy to install. I needed to adjust lower. Such a sharp upper cut-off, I thought my windshield had a tint film! Very distinct edge. Takes some getting used to. I kept adjusting lower until others quit flashing their highs at me.

And here's what I use for the high beams;
Amazon High Beams

I tried the Hakari high beams but didn't like them. But if you want to try them, here's the link;
Amazon Hikari High Beams

1 - 20 of 25 Posts