Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Premium with the "Sporty" and "Popular" which basically transforms it into a limited without leather seats with ALMOST all the bells and whistles. The one I'm regretting not having is the top-center informational display, lovingly described as "Multi-function display (color LCD)" by Subaru.

Instead of colorful graphics, it gives you some basic information on an LCD screen. However, it would seems that I have virtually all the other electronics that can come with the premium (including the 8" touchscreen and the nav). Given that, if I can figure out the part number for the "Multi-function display (color LCD)" (featured on p206 of the book), whether I can install it in place of the black and white non-graphical unit?

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS!

Best,
Trogdor

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the the same exact model (w/ aftermarket leather seats) if I had to guess though you would need to replace the entire dash to fit the multi display as it is a bit larger than our plane Jane info screen.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Premium has the same amount of space up there, but most of it is a blank panel with a small alphanumeric LCD display. I would guess that you can physically fit the color MFD in there. However, I don't know if you have the rest of the hardware to drive it. There are also the buttons above the radio to toggle between the different screens. I've had the stereo out before and there were other boxes mounted on top of the radio's chassis that are for telematics and who knows what. One of those modules may be part of the system as well.

If you could piece together all the necessary parts, compare that cost plus the cost of your time to the cost of trading in for a limited. Also, upgrading this will do nothing for resale. I had a Premium Outback prior to my Ascent and I added leather and other limited bits. I did it mostly for fun, but did not expect to make any of that money back when I sold it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sound like it could be pricey and if I was I. The business of spending cash on upgrades I would rather pay and upgrade to the LED Headlights. You’re absolutely right on the not doing much for resale if lucky you can squeeze a couple extra dollars, I just upgraded to leather because I hate cloth with kids and didn’t want to wait for a preorder lol.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sound like it could be pricey and if I was I. The business of spending cash on upgrades I would rather pay and upgrade to the LED Headlights. You’re absolutely right on the not doing much for resale if lucky you can squeeze a couple extra dollars, I just upgraded to leather because I hate cloth with kids and didn’t want to wait for a preorder lol.
Your leather looks great. I self-installed Katzkin in my old outback - no regrets, but also no future value. I traded a car in back in 2012 and I remember when trying to figure out my trade-in value, KBB had a checklist and you could actually check off boxes such as leather seats, premium stereo, etc. Even if those things didn't come with the car when you checked those boxes, it added value to the car (and I got the $ for it). Most recently, when I traded in for the Ascent, the trade in value calculator had no check boxes for such things. If it wasn't factory, it added no value.

Of course, you can sell to somebody in this community who might appreciate such upgrades and pay for them, but it's also more work on your part to play salesman. Tradeoffs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts