Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stumbled upon being in a position that trading in my 2019 Ascent Touring for a 2020 Ascent Touring was financially beneficial to me. Really sounds too good to be true, but a good move for my situation.

What I noticed was the folding mirrors, trunk lock button (the exterior one is still there too), and the rear seat reminder. I also noticed that my air cooled seats appear to be much quieter.

I am very happy with my upgrade. I got the same color so nobody even has to know. Lol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
We I just did same update last Fridays (my was due for oil change and Fuel pump recall)
Same car smaller payment…
I noticed Door seals are different on the frame and on the doors
2 more USB ports on the driver side 3rd row (add on option)
Nor more CVT morning chirp (it may be back with more miles)
open rear gate no longer drains battery ...
Seat bottom cushion updated

My car was 02/2020 build but radio still not up to date (did update myself )

Congratulations. I have a '19 touring and would love to have the power folding mirrors and the switch to turn on/off all interior cabin lights.
only you CAN NOT turn OFF all interior cabin lights... for some reason they made it backwards... its only to turn it ON with door closed .. :confused:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So I stumbled upon being in a position that trading in my 2019 Ascent Touring for a 2020 Ascent Touring was financially beneficial to me. Really sounds too good to be true, but a good move for my situation.

What I noticed was the folding mirrors, trunk lock button (the exterior one is still there too), and the rear seat reminder. I also noticed that my air cooled seats appear to be much quieter.

I am very happy with my upgrade. I got the same color so nobody even has to know. Lol.
Please tell us how it could be financially beneficial to upgrade from a 2019 to a 2020. I would be interested in upgrading if I could somehow get it to ROI, but I can see no way to do this without losing money.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Please tell us how it could be financially beneficial to upgrade from a 2019 to a 2020. I would be interested in upgrading if I could somehow get it to ROI, but I can see no way to do this without losing money.
due smaller monthly payment ... ([email protected]%- interest) ,

in my case side benefits also you get 2/24+ extra warranty , new tires, new brakes and 4 more free oil changes

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
Surprising that the trade in value of the 2019 is high enough to make this work financially, but I can see where loan interest might enter into this in some situations. I'd never personally do a 63 month loan, however, even with 0% interest. But that's just a personal perspective and doesn't apply to others. (My Ascent loan is for three years to pay it off quickly)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I struggle to see how the numbers would work, but if the op is happy, that's all that matters. I usually do 48 mo and payoff in 18-24, even if interest rate is <1.9%), I hate carrying debt.
60-84 mo loans scare me. If someone had to do 60mo+ out of necessity for a car costing more than $30k ( I'm not suggesting op did, this is just my general rule), then they purchased too much car ( I understand, and have friends who need reliable transportation and finance for 5yr on an entry level new or used car out of necessity to have reliable transportation).
Will be interesting to see how we spend ( will we be more responsible, same, less) given what has happened the past few months.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,194 Posts
I'd never personally do a 63 month loan, however, even with 0% interest. But that's just a personal perspective and doesn't apply to others.
I haven't borrowed money other than home mortgages in decades and fully expected to pay cash when I started shopping back in December. Between December and now, the markets crashed and haven't fully recovered. Since my wife and I are retired and live on our IRAs, we would have to sell off funds at a low rather than a high. By getting 0% interest and $0 down, we can make the monthly payment from our regular monthly IRA withdrawal and decide later down the road whether to sell a fund and payoff the loan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only way this is financially beneficial is if your trade-in is valued equal to or greater than the cost of the car you are buying + TTL.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Everyone has different financial situations. What works for one may not make sense for another. No judgements on anyone from me. We all strive to do our best.

I was all ready to retire in September but decided to keep working. Not a great time to draw on a 401k for income.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,194 Posts
I was all ready to retire in September but decided to keep working. Not a great time to draw on a 401k for income.
Sounds like me in 2007. My company offered me an early retirement and I took it fully believing I was done and had all my retirement ducks in a row. Then the stock market tanked and the real estate market crashed. Fortuitously, a business acquaintance called and said that they needed me on their team servicing my former employer. I put in 7 more years was a consultant to the company I retired from in 2007. Yup, everyone is different!

·
Super Moderator
4,214 Posts
I haven't borrowed money other than home mortgages in decades and fully expected to pay cash when I started shopping back in December. Between December and now, the markets crashed and haven't fully recovered. Since my wife and I are retired and live on our IRAs, we would have to sell off funds at a low rather than a high. By getting 0% interest and $0 down, we can make the monthly payment from our regular monthly IRA withdrawal and decide later down the road whether to sell a fund and payoff the loan.
Yes, everyone's situation is different and I can appreciate your situation since I'm also retired and the largest part of my monthly income is from my IRA. I chose to take SSI at 62 because it increased my disabled daughter's benefit by 90% so that's what's paying for my Ascent "really quickly". The good news for you is that you do not "have" to stretch things out over the entire long term of the 0% loan should your finances allow you to do it sooner.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Surprising that the trade in value of the 2019 is high enough to make this work financially, but I can see where loan interest might enter into this in some situations. I'd never personally do a 63 month loan, however, even with 0% interest. But that's just a personal perspective and doesn't apply to others. (My Ascent loan is for three years to pay it off quickly)
I would never pay interest on a five year auto loan so if I had one I would pay it off early. In this case though they are giving us free money for 63 months. There is no way I would pay that off early. Zero benefit to me, unless I needed to free up a credit line.

·
Super Moderator
4,214 Posts
You're correct that there's zero or limited benefit to paying off a zero percent loan early. But some folks still may prefer to retire the debt earlier simply because they don't want to carry the debt. Whatever works for the individual!

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
791 Posts
I like to be debt free too, so I pay everything off early (Even the 0% we have on the Jaguar), plus if there were some catastrophe, I am way ahead on the note and could either just make the regular payments, or work with the lender if I had to. For instance I stopped paying extra in March and April on the Ascent and Jag and dumped that extra money into the market. Now, that's not a life-changing investment amount versus what we invest monthly, but it will help maximize our return, assuming the market does recover, which it has from that point ( Although who knows what the next year or two holds in store for us, but I'm playing the long game, so that's okay).
I didn't grow up with an overabundance of money, so I tend to be perhaps overly cautious about how I spend and pay for things. I wouldn't fault anybody for whatever reasons they have, it's their hard-earned money after all. But in general, as I mentioned previously, I always advise people not to take a 60+month note out on more car than they actually need ( again not implying that was the case in the original message, but we all know people who stretched it way beyond necessary on a car/house purchase).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts