Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email about updating the Maps. I tried to follow the direction by loading the file into my 256GB flash drive. When the file gets to the end it stops and a message pops up, saying it could not eject the flash drive. I have tried several ways, but still cannot get it to load the update on the flash drive to update the maps. I went out to my Ascent and did the manual update on the 8 states with my wifi. It took me over 4 hours.
I still would like to do the Maps update with the flash drive as I think it will update all states.
Has anyone successfully done it with a flash drive? If so, please help with direction to make it work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the following:
SanDisk Cruzer Glide 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ600-256G-G35)
It loads all the way, but gives me the error about ejecting it at the end.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just did the update today. I used a 16gb 3.0 USB drive without issue. I had an older USB drive (most likely 2.0) in earlier and, while it appeared to work on the PC (after an incredibly long download time), it wouldn't initiate the update sequence in the car. Tried a new USB drive and everything worked with no issues. Update took about 45 minutes in the car for me. Do you have a smaller drive you can try? I don't remember anything about a size limit - but I'd try another USB stick anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did the update today. I used a 16gb 3.0 USB drive without issue. I had an older USB drive (most likely 2.0) in earlier and, while it appeared to work on the PC (after an incredibly long download time), it wouldn't initiate the update sequence in the car. Tried a new USB drive and everything worked with no issues. Update took about 45 minutes in the car for me. Do you have a smaller drive you can try? I don't remember anything about a size limit - but I'd try another USB stick anyway.
What was the process you used for the update?

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I used the following:
SanDisk Cruzer Glide 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ600-256G-G35)
It loads all the way, but gives me the error about ejecting it at the end.
I'd try to reformat it NTFS and try again. I had that problem with a few of my Sandisk thumb drives. Failing that, I'd try 128GB or less.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd try to reformat it NTFS and try again. I had that problem with a few of my Sandisk thumb drives. Failing that, I'd try 128GB or less.
Robert, thanks.
I plugged in the same Sandisc flash drive a few minutes ago and it started loading exactly like before. This time when it finished it said it was successful.
I just started my Ascent and plugged it in. Clicked on Navigation and it is now loading.
I'm not sure why it failed so many times before, but today seems to be good, with no changes.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
815 Posts
I have updated my nav once in my 2019 Touring using a usb drive but can't remember the steps to do it? Anyone know where I can go to get step-by-step instructions?
Go to Subaru Maps (subaru-maps.com) you should have an account from the last time you updated. After you log in click on updates and there are instructions. The is also a User Guide link at the bottom of the home page for setting up an account, etc.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I think you can do the USB firmware updates to the head unit while driving, but, you will lose some functionality, such as backup camera and alerts. It's only 15 minutes with a USB 3.x stick, so, I'd do it parked.

You can download OTA map region updates only via WiFi.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Yet another question on updating Maps: can I download the map updates via USB to my Ascent WHILE DRIVING?
Yes, with the caveats that Robert mentions. That's exactly what I did with mine....ran an errand while it was updating. Same with Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester...I took advantage of the need for it to be running and, well...ran it somewhere to take care of...something.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you can do the USB firmware updates to the head unit while driving, but, you will lose some functionality, such as backup camera and alerts. It's only 15 minutes with a USB 3.x stick, so, I'd do it parked.

You can download OTA map region updates only via WiFi.
I see. Thanks Robert; this has been a challenge for me to perform these updates as I'm certainly not a tech wizard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts