Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posts in another thread got me thinking. There have been some updates to the head unit, maps, ECU, and I’m assuming TCM since the vehicles were released.
  • How do we know if we have the latest updates for each?
  • Can we update any/all of them ourselves?
  • Is there a way to know if they have been updated or when new updates are available?
I’m thinking the dealer updated something the last time I was there because that first ‘shift’ has felt different when lightly accelerating lately. They didn’t mention it if they did, but it would be nice to know.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I am not aware of any updates to the ECM that are not TSB or owner complaint driven, meaning none should have been applied unless you reported a specific verifiable problem (both your complaint and their verification should have been noted) or a TSB prompted one (in which case, that TSB should have been noted on your invoice). They don't get paid for such warranty work unless it's documented in such fashion.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it does make it unlikely.

OTOH, since early on, others have reported that changing the oil changes how things feel.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OTOH, since early on, others have reported that changing the oil changes how things feel.
I’ve experience that feeling after an oil change. It might just be psychosomatic wishful thinking. This dealer trip was mid oil life though.
Is there a way to check versions or a log of updates applied?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Posts in another thread got me thinking. There have been some updates to the head unit, maps, ECU, and I’m assuming TCM since the vehicles were released.
  • How do we know if we have the latest updates for each?
  • Can we update any/all of them ourselves?
  • Is there a way to know if they have been updated or when new updates are available?
I’m thinking the dealer updated something the last time I was there because that first ‘shift’ has felt different when lightly accelerating lately. They didn’t mention it if they did, but it would be nice to know.
You can get map updates here, if you have a valid account. Follow the instructions. You'll need a computer.

If you have the 8 inch Navi infotainment system, you can check for updates via Wi-Fi:

You can find these instructions in the Nav and Audio Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
Lol, every time a dealer works on my car I always get a feeling that something is different. It's probably nothing more than a heightened sense of awareness mixed with a slight amount of paranoia.
Lol! My flight instructor used to call that "Automatic Rough". When you are flying over water just past the safe gliding distance back to land in a single engine plane you notice every change in the sound of the engine. ?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Everyone just remember that the WiFi updates system is not yet working and cannot be used for anything other than maps updates.

Using Aha is a different story - I have not tried that, nor do I plan on installing Starlink and Aha on my phone to do so. Using a USB 3.x stick is much quicker and doesn't eat 14GB of mobile data. ;)

You can get map updates here, if you have a valid account. Follow the instructions. You'll need a computer.

If you have the 8 inch Navi infotainment system, you can check for updates via Wi-Fi:

View attachment 1282
View attachment 1283

You can find these instructions in the Nav and Audio Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So today I got in my '19 Ascent Limited and saw the 'Software Update' message on the display. This was via my home Wi-Fi network. It only took a few minutes to download and install. Does anyone (Robert?) have any idea what improvements or changes were in the update?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
So today I got in my '19 Ascent Limited and saw the 'Software Update' message on the display. This was via my home Wi-Fi network. It only took a few minutes to download and install. Does anyone (Robert?) have any idea what improvements or changes were in the update?
None. It's solely map region updates, and, if you didn't select your map region, then it actually didn't update anything... it just connects, checks for nothing and disconnects.

Here's a vid that explains how to set up your map regions, in case you haven't yet.

You should select at least your state and any others you drive through so that you have the most up to date maps.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Interesting... since it's a Limited without the Nav software. It did appear to be updating various system files but I didn't take any notes while it was in progress.
If you don't have Nav, then it didn't update anything. At some point, Subaru may be happy enough with the security to let Harman Kardon allow firmware updates OTA, but, not yet.

You can see your non-changing firmware version in:
  • Settings->General->System Information
So, without Navigation, there's no real reason to have your car connect to your home wifi, since it won't update anything.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
My 2019 Premium (without NAV) updated numerous system files yesterday via my home WiFi network, and is the first time since I've owned it in over a year that it's done this. In the past it normally just stated the system was up to date immediately after startup in the garage. Yesterday it showed both a percentage for the downloading progress for several different files, and then the progress for the installation of these four or five different update files that had been downloaded, and took almost five minutes to complete. I seriously doubt this was just a figment of my imagination. I'm convinced something was both downloaded and installed on my car via WiFi, something that had not previously occurred during the previous year of ownership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2019 Premium (without NAV) updated numerous system files yesterday via my home WiFi network, and is the first time since I've owned it in over a year that it's done this. In the past it normally just stated the system was up to date immediately after startup in the garage. Yesterday it showed both a percentage for the downloading progress for several different files, and then the progress for the installation of these four or five different update files that had been downloaded, and took almost five minutes to complete. I seriously doubt this was just a figment of my imagination. I'm convinced something was both downloaded and installed on my car via WiFi, something that had not previously occurred during the previous year of ownership.
That was my experience also. Just phrased a lot better. :)

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
My 2019 Premium (without NAV) updated numerous system files yesterday via my home WiFi network, and is the first time since I've owned it in over a year that it's done this.
That was my experience also. Just phrased a lot better. :)
Wait that's sneaky of them. I know it was supposed to happen, but I have yet to see the announcement that it's been activated.

Between the two of you, can you remember any of what it said it was updating?

Also, can you share your current firmware version, and if you remember all or part of it, your previous version (or the month and year of your car and if/when it was last updated)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wait that's sneaky of them. I know it was supposed to happen, but I have yet to see the announcement that it's been activated.

Between the two of you, can you remember any of what it said it was updating?

Also, can you share your current firmware version, and if you remember all or part of it, your previous version (or the month and year of your car and if/when it was last updated)?
I can hardly remember yesterday.. :) but the current software version is Rel_UE.19.22.70
Plus there are 50 Open Source licenses that I didn't take the time to go through to see if any had been recently updated.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I can hardly remember yesterday.. :) but the current software version is Rel_UE.19.22.70
Plus there are 50 Open Source licenses that I didn't take the time to go through to see if any had been recently updated.
Did you ever have the dealership update?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts