Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be attending the Denver auto show on the 20th. Let me know of any specific questions you would like addressed while I am there. I spoke with SOA today and they can not even tell me if the 2022 Forester will be there, let alone specs.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
593 Posts
Yea....it's..... interesting. Not digging the glass center cluster either. Hoping the STI has less touch crap.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear end on the new WRX has me scratching my head,not really liking it.
My son mentioned this today to me as well. Not only the rear end which he said was similar to the Honda Civic but the additional "cladding" around the wheels. He was not sure what was happening to the STI. I wondered if Subaru was going to increase the differentiation between the sti and wrx in part through these design changes. I will ask at the show. I figure Subaru has done their homework through market research.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Market research should show people want a hatch....lol
"What is interesting in the data, however, is that there is a gap between Thinker ownership (26%) and Thinker willingness to buy a Jeep (12%). Given their propensity to delve into the data before making a purchase, Thinkers may be finding the newer Jeep models aren’t measuring up or that other brands such as Subaru fill the safety and reliability niche’ better.

This has implications for how Jeep is presenting itself to the Thinker audience. For Thinkers, marketing that focuses on quality, reliability and longevity is called for, rather than marketing with a more lifestyle focus."

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
Interestingly and as an aside, if I was not driving an Ascent, I would have been in another Grand Cherokee. Aside from my affinity for Subaru in addition to Jeep, Ascent had the 3-row derived cargo space that I wanted at the time I was buying and Jeep did not. Now they do, but at a price point that's $20+K above the Ascent. I agree with that article that demographics come into play and Jeep is clearly working to go upscale for Grand Cherokee and Waggoneer/Grand Waggie. OTOH, Compass and Cherokee are closer competitors to most of the Subaru line so comparisons are probably best between them, IMHO. They are popular in this area, but Subarus are noticeably popular here, too. The dealerships are owned by the same entity here, and are literally almost next door to each other. There is much cross-shopping I suspect as a result.

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
The rear end on the new WRX has me scratching my head,not really liking it.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought civic when I saw that. The rear bumper reminds me of a veloster too; I can’t say I’m liking the new look yet.

The 6 speed manual on the 2.4 in the wrx has me intrigued. There would be eyesight issues for sure but what are the odds the swap could be done in an Ascent? I doubt the Denver auto show would give any answers but it might be a fun talking point.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭) 2006 Subaru Impreza (Former)
67 Posts
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought civic when I saw that. The rear bumper reminds me of a veloster too; I can’t say I’m liking the new look yet.

The 6 speed manual on the 2.4 in the wrx has me intrigued. There would be eyesight issues for sure but what are the odds the swap could be done in an Ascent? I doubt the Denver auto show would give any answers but it might be a fun talking point.
You mean like a transmission swap?

Probably unlikely. Too much would have to go into it. Pedal cluster, shift linkage, and NUMEROUS other parts.

But then again, you spend enough money, you can probably make almost anything happen so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

That being said I'd LOVE a manual version!

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
The 6 speed manual on the 2.4 in the wrx has me intrigued. There would be eyesight issues for sure but what are the odds the swap could be done in an Ascent?
Yea, if you opt for the manual transmission on the WRX, you do not get Eyesight. It's only included with the automatic transmission that also has the paddle shifters for manual mode. For swapping into the Ascent, it might not have the duty cycle for such a heavy vehicles...and then there's all the challenges with things like linkages and electronic stuff that would drive the vehicle computers nuts!

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Manual w/eyesight please. 🤗
I believe there would be significant integration issues with that which is why it's not offered. Controlling the transmission/drivetrain is a meaningful part of how Eyesight works. Can't really do that with a manual...unless they find a way to tap into and control the driver's brain. :) :D

Reactions: Pluckito1111

·
Registered
593 Posts
They can, to a certain extent. You don't have to disengage the clutch above 1,000rpms. No reason why they can't do pre-colision breaking until that point. Same for auto cruise, I manually adjust cruise up/down without shifting....no reason they can't do the same within a given rpm range.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Yes, some things can be done. But the expense to develop all the software that would be different than the mainstream market may not be justifiable. Honestly, I was surprised that they decided to continue offering the manual transmission, even in the WRX.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
593 Posts
I suspect a significant drop in sales would occur if they got rid of the manual. Packout can ask for metrics at the show ;)

I know I wouldn't buy one if a stick wasn't offered.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭) 2006 Subaru Impreza (Former)
67 Posts
Unfortunately, when Subaru released their hatchback, people didn’t like it! I really like the old ones specifically the 2006-2007 model!
I had an 06 Impreza and I definitely regretted not getting the hatch.

Quite possibly one of the best body styles IMO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts