Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
* Rear doors not touch-to-open/lock -- Why don't the rear door handles operate like the front ones? This seems like a really niggling thing to not have on all the doors. How much of the car price is changed by this? Why not just standardize the door handles all the way around the car? I also come from a keyless drive vehicle where you COULD just grab the rear doors and open the car which amplifies the annoyance for me.

* The button mapping for eyesight cruise control annoys me. Following distance should use the little up/down widget now used for set/resume; how often do you need to change it? Set/Resume should use the bigger buttons. Speed adjustment should work the opposite, long press for 5 mph increments, and short press for 1 mph increments, fine tuning is a nuisance with long presses.

* No Auto Up/Down Rear Windows -- like the lack of auto-unlocking rear door handles, omitting this just seems cheap and pointless.

* I have the cargo cover, and I kind of wonder why it couldn't be integrated into the seat back of the second row of seats so it's not a separate thing that has to be taken out of the car.

* Default stereo mute mode for unplugging CarPlay and when starting the vehicle. That this doesn't happen is endlessly annoying.

* Front bumper parking sensors. Where are they? It's an omission I'm always willing to accept for price and reliability purposes, but it's a feature I think feels missing.

* The Cupholders -- Too shallow, too wide, no little finger-dealies to hold cups in place. I haven't had a spill, and even my tall Contigo hasn't tipped over, but its still kind of a bother. I keep brainstorming solutions, but haven't home-rolled anything yet.

* Starlink App -- Clunky, and too many touches to remote start my car. No touch ID support? Have to manually enter the pin each time? C'mon. Mitigating factor: has worked totally reliably.

Things I Thought Would Be More Annoying But Haven't Been

* Lack of a button to turn on all cabin lights. At first blush, it seems a glaring omission and with 35% window tint applied all around on my car, it can be dark inside, but I haven't once had it bug me that I couldn't turn on all the lights.

* Lame rear cargo light: Same thing, my first thought was this was going to be a problem. Even rounded up a spare LED worklight I stashed in the rear cargo cubby. Never used it, never felt like I needed it so far.

* Lack of console enclosure USB/12V sockets, rear sockets, etc: Thinking about this deficit bugs me, but it hasn't been an actual issue. Mitigated partly by buying a Scosche phone holder that fits into one of the cupholders and provides 2 spare 12V sockets and 2 USB (power only) sockets.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Agree with a lot of this, however, I'm guessing that not having auto up/down for the rear windows is a safety issue. The lawyers would say that the driver can't see little Timmy or little Susan hanging their appendages or whatever else out of the window when the driver hits the auto up button. :devil:
And don't get me started on why the heck they didn't include the power folding exterior mirrors on the largest Subaru ever!

Reactions: Ascentic

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone know if the exhaust design is unique to the Subaru, I really like the VW Atlas exhaust tips. Maybe something to do with safety or cost?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with a lot of this, however, I'm guessing that not having auto up/down for the rear windows is a safety issue. The lawyers would say that the driver can't see little Timmy or little Susan hanging their appendages or whatever else out of the window when the driver hits the auto up button. :devil:
And don't get me started on why the heck they didn't include the power folding exterior mirrors on the largest Subaru ever!
It's not an uncommon feature. My last car, a Volvo S80 V8, had all four windows as auto up/down.

I'd really like the power folding mirrors, my Volvo had those, too, but so far I can't say I'm missing them from a need or perceived risk perspective.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything but the cup holder issue is nitpicking. ;)

/s
I mean it kind of is, honestly, with the exception of the rear door handle unlock and the always-on/always-radio stereo.

I'm continually impressed with otherwise how perfect the Ascent seems, which might be why kind of nitpicky details stand out. In theory I could be complaining about more serious power train problems or other mechanical defects.

It takes some effort to identify those issues keeping it stuck at 98% perfect.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I mean it kind of is, honestly, with the exception of the rear door handle unlock and the always-on/always-radio stereo.

I'm continually impressed with otherwise how perfect the Ascent seems, which might be why kind of nitpicky details stand out. In theory I could be complaining about more serious power train problems or other mechanical defects.

It takes some effort to identify those issues keeping it stuck at 98% perfect.

There is a "fix" for the "always on radio" - press the audio button for about 3 seconds or longer and it will not come on at startup-up. If you press it too long (10 seconds), it will reboot the Infotainment Center. Personally I have radio station "0" programmed as a preset. That's the Radio ID and is silent. I frequently flip to it before exiting the vehicle.

I also agree that most of the things mentioned are not a problem. The cargo cover has a specific spot in the little bin with the tire jack where it can stored "under the floor".

Front bumper sensors are there if you selected the model that has them.

The "Set/Resume" button is just where it should be. Without looking, my thumb does it all "right down the line" The finger slides down the buttons right in order: Press, drop down, Set, drop down Lake Keep Assist.

Regarding the rear door lock - I have mine set to ONLY open the driver's door. I don't want some "jerk" jumping in the car from the other side the minute I unlock the driver's door. For me, it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a "fix" for the "always on radio" - press the audio button for about 3 seconds or longer and it will not come on at startup-up. If you press it too long (10 seconds), it will reboot the Infotainment Center. Personally I have radio station "0" programmed as a preset. That's the Radio ID and is silent. I frequently flip to it before exiting the vehicle.
IMHO, not really a "fix" but a workaround that is a bunch of extra effort and doesn't cover other situations like unplugging from CarPlay where it will switch to radio by default. A real fix would be an audio system menu option to mute at startup.

The cargo cover has a specific spot in the little bin with the tire jack where it can stored "under the floor".
That's a decent storage option, but it still seems it would be a slicker design to have it integrated into the back of the second row seats so it never had to be removed at all, just retracted.

Didn't realize it was a Touring trim only feature. I guess I'll mollify myself by saying I wanted the 2nd row bench seats more than front parking sensors. :smile:

The "Set/Resume" button is just where it should be. Without looking, my thumb does it all "right down the line" The finger slides down the buttons right in order: Press, drop down, Set, drop down Lake Keep Assist.
I guess this is something on which reasonable people might disagree, although I'd argue that rationally that the size/placement of controls should be somewhat relative to their frequency of use. Two large buttons which are infrequently used (cruise following distance) shouldn't be larger and more prominent than buttons that are frequently used (resume/accel). Same concept applies to fine tuning cruise set speed. I'm constantly adjusting it to odd numbers, eg, to go 69 in a 65 zone, where almost never do I need to adjust cruise speed in more than one increment of 5 mph.

My ideal placement would still be cruise on/off left top big button, lane assist on/off left bottom big button, resume/accel right top/bottom big button, and distance the small center up/down button. The "outer" big buttons are easier to reach when driving and would generally be the most frequently pressed.

Regarding the rear door lock - I have mine set to ONLY open the driver's door. I don't want some "jerk" jumping in the car from the other side the minute I unlock the driver's door. For me, it's a safety issue.
This doesn't contradict making the rear doors touch activated like the front. You can have the rear doors touch enabled without unlocking any other doors. Even if the functionality shifted to unlocking both front and rear doors on just the driver's side if you open either front or rear driver's side, it doesn't change the safety equation. If somebody is that close to you that unlocking the driver's door while you open the rear driver's side door enables them to jump in, they're already on top of you anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
That's a decent storage option, but it still seems it would be a slicker design to have it integrated into the back of the second row seats so it never had to be removed at all, just retracted
How would that work given the second row seats fold down independently?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cubby light on when tailgate opens

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the little light that goes on in the cubby under the ac and radio controls when the tailgate is open?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
802 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to turn off the little light that goes on in the cubby under the ac and radio controls when the tailgate is open?
That light is always on whenever the ignition is on. I think it is supposed to illuminate the 12V port that's at the back of the cubby.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I like how you chose "niggling" as the only neologism while being imbued with such rancor for picayune issues.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
684 Posts
no Front bumper sensors on any model ...
Touring trim got front camera (and front camera is useless on angled parking ...)

Didn't realize it was a Touring trim only feature. I guess I'll mollify myself by saying I wanted the 2nd row bench seats more than front parking sensors. :smile:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not a single one of these bothers me.

* Rear doors not touch-to-open/lock -- Why don't the rear door handles operate like the front ones? This seems like a really niggling thing to not have on all the doors. How much of the car price is changed by this? Why not just standardize the door handles all the way around the car? I also come from a keyless drive vehicle where you COULD just grab the rear doors and open the car which amplifies the annoyance for me.

* The button mapping for eyesight cruise control annoys me. Following distance should use the little up/down widget now used for set/resume; how often do you need to change it? Set/Resume should use the bigger buttons. Speed adjustment should work the opposite, long press for 5 mph increments, and short press for 1 mph increments, fine tuning is a nuisance with long presses.

* No Auto Up/Down Rear Windows -- like the lack of auto-unlocking rear door handles, omitting this just seems cheap and pointless.

* I have the cargo cover, and I kind of wonder why it couldn't be integrated into the seat back of the second row of seats so it's not a separate thing that has to be taken out of the car.

* Default stereo mute mode for unplugging CarPlay and when starting the vehicle. That this doesn't happen is endlessly annoying.

* Front bumper parking sensors. Where are they? It's an omission I'm always willing to accept for price and reliability purposes, but it's a feature I think feels missing.

* The Cupholders -- Too shallow, too wide, no little finger-dealies to hold cups in place. I haven't had a spill, and even my tall Contigo hasn't tipped over, but its still kind of a bother. I keep brainstorming solutions, but haven't home-rolled anything yet.

* Starlink App -- Clunky, and too many touches to remote start my car. No touch ID support? Have to manually enter the pin each time? C'mon. Mitigating factor: has worked totally reliably.

Things I Thought Would Be More Annoying But Haven't Been

* Lack of a button to turn on all cabin lights. At first blush, it seems a glaring omission and with 35% window tint applied all around on my car, it can be dark inside, but I haven't once had it bug me that I couldn't turn on all the lights.

* Lame rear cargo light: Same thing, my first thought was this was going to be a problem. Even rounded up a spare LED worklight I stashed in the rear cargo cubby. Never used it, never felt like I needed it so far.

* Lack of console enclosure USB/12V sockets, rear sockets, etc: Thinking about this deficit bugs me, but it hasn't been an actual issue. Mitigated partly by buying a Scosche phone holder that fits into one of the cupholders and provides 2 spare 12V sockets and 2 USB (power only) sockets.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.