Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately one of my tires got a nail to the sidewall less than 5k miles into owning my Ascent which has now started my search into new tires. Rather than just replacing the one tire (if that was even an option due to tread depth differences) I was looking into any other tires out there that may have better overall performance. I've been reading all the threads I could find about the 20" tires for the past few hours but it feels like there isn't a general consensus on the ideal tires for the Ascent.

There were a few options I had and if anyone had any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it!

Option 1: Replace the OEM tires with new all-seasons such as "Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady" that I could use year-round including winter. The wet performance of this tire as mentioned over at https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237 concerns me though as a rain and wintery mix is common here with a lot of large puddles on the highway.

Option 2: Buy dedicated all-season/summer tires that favor the non-wintery months and swap with a set of winter tires on the same 20" wheels as needed

Option 3: Replace the single OEM Falken tire and get it shaved if needed if there really isn't much worthwhile competition in the 20" range

Option 4: Try to figure out what 18" wheels work on the Ascent without rubbing or fighting with them (I looked into the OEM ones but they were very expensive), buy new rims and all-season tires for light off-roading and beach driving, and use my 20" wheels for a winter tire set

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
At only 5K miles, there shouldn't have been much wear on the OEM tires...personally, I'd replace just the one tire with a match to existing. If I were switching to new tires, I'd be going to my perennial favorite, the Michelin Defender LTX, although due to the unfortunate size choice by Subaru for the Ascent, I'd have to use a 255/50R20 which is just a hair larger rather than the OEM 245/50R20 and that sets up a disconnect with the spare diameter. 18" wheel Ascents can get that tire in the native size so I might consider changing to "nice" 18" wheels to stay OEM size for my preferred tire if funds allowed, although I personally also prefer the 20" wheel size.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Unfortunately one of my tires got a nail to the sidewall less than 5k miles into owning my Ascent which has now started my search into new tires. Rather than just replacing the one tire (if that was even an option due to tread depth differences) I was looking into any other tires out there that may have better overall performance. I've been reading all the threads I could find about the 20" tires for the past few hours but it feels like there isn't a general consensus on the ideal tires for the Ascent.

There were a few options I had and if anyone had any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it!

Option 1: Replace the OEM tires with new all-seasons such as "Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady" that I could use year-round including winter. The wet performance of this tire as mentioned over at https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237 concerns me though as a rain and wintery mix is common here with a lot of large puddles on the highway.

Option 2: Buy dedicated all-season/summer tires that favor the non-wintery months and swap with a set of winter tires on the same 20" wheels as needed

Option 3: Replace the single OEM Falken tire and get it shaved if needed if there really isn't much worthwhile competition in the 20" range

Option 4: Try to figure out what 18" wheels work on the Ascent without rubbing or fighting with them (I looked into the OEM ones but they were very expensive), buy new rims and all-season tires for light off-roading and beach driving, and use my 20" wheels for a winter tire set

Option 1: go with the michelin's like Jim said, but note again, that the spare is worthless at that point. Feel free to increase MPG and leave it at home.
Option 3: If you are interested in 1 or 4 used OEM FAlken, I have a set with under 5K on them. PM me if you want to purchase.
Option 4: That's what I did. 18" Continental Terrain Contacts, threw 20" Blizzaks on the OEM 20s. The Blizzaks are a better daliy driver than the Falkens and I rarely see snow outside of ski trips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like 18" really is the preferred size if you can get native Michelin Defenders for it or even Continental Terrain Contacts.

Is there anywhere I can easily see a list of compatible rims that are properly load rated and are going to fit without hassle? The "Post your new rims/wheels that work for the 2019 Ascent" thread seems to have a lot mentions of lifts, close fits that require a decent shop, or things of that sort and I'm really out of my element here.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
Since I buy my tires from Costco, I'd probably opt for one of the Velox wheels they sell if I were to want to swap out the wheels at the same time. But I'd have to research the load rating since that's not listed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm interested to know myself as well. We turned down the dealership's wheels and tires warranty but with all the construction here in Central Texas I'm starting to think I should have taken them up on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced my Falkens with GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 for $125+ per tire they have same H speed rating and have an XL load rating which allows higher tire pressure so could be benefical if towing or fully loaded! Discount Tire dealer gave me $50 per tire for the Falkens trade in! The steering seems to be a bit more positive with the Generals?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Give the Nokian Entyre C/S a try. I have them on my Envoy and recently recommended them to my dad for his Sienna and he loves them. These tires are really smooth and quiet on the highway. When the Falkens on my Ascent are worn out, I'll replace them with these Nokians as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I switched out my 20" Falkens when they were around 135 miles for Toyo Open Country Q/T all season's with M+S rating. The Q/T's gave my Ascent a more planted feel on the road. I've been through 2 torrential downpours and they are great on wet roads. They are quiet on both asphalt and concrete highways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Curious if anyone has these tires BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport LT reviews for those interested http://bit.ly/2lMhgND Costco sell them as well ($809.92 currently with sale in IL)and the benefits is free rotations and flat repair, I know since my Michelin tires on my Forester with less than a 500 miles caught a nail, many review about them wearing to quickly as well. I will say it is pouring and I could not get those tires to slip in the rain so great wet traction OK ride quality. Other option is to do what Robert Mauro did and go with 17inch rims and Kumho Road Venture AT/51 245/65R17. Was a little disappointed in my soft off-roading with the wheels slipping on grass getting out of Embankment this weekend.

Any feedback would be great since I do not think I have enough tread depth to safely make it through this winter and would rather spend the money now before Christmas.

Thanks to all...

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Still happy with mine, and still the absolute best snow performance I've ever had on a non-snow tire.

And, as you probably saw, they handled my extensive off roading last month very well. Even without ever airing down (don't make that mistake).

I'd suggest the MR502s for a beefier look. I couldn't decide then, and still can't now. I leaned towards the ironically delicate look of the LM Shadows, which seems to work well in photos.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Oh, FYI, they're noisy and less street friendly than the Continental TerrainContacts or the Yokohama AT G015s.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

I do not know about other retailers, but Discount Tire no longer will shave tires.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires are working out great on our Outback. Nice smooth ride. They are not the 20" though. Having a second set of wheels is so expensive on a Subaru as the TPMS is not easily reconfigured on the new set of wheels.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I replaced my Falkens with GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 for $125+ per tire they have same H speed rating and have an XL load rating which allows higher tire pressure so could be benefical if towing or fully loaded! Discount Tire dealer gave me $50 per tire for the Falkens trade in! The steering seems to be a bit more positive with the Generals?
Just ordered a set of the General Altimax RT43 to replace my OEM tires. Would like to hear an update if you can provide one? All the reviews are pretty positive that I have read online.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've had great experience with with general winter tires, and also the altimax, although an older version. Can't beat them for the price. Although I think they're slightly noisier, although not intrusive by any means, then some of the more expensive brands.

I've also had great luck with Cooper CS4, although I think they're up to CS5 now. Definitely quieter but a little more expensive than the generals.

if you're driving on a regular basis in snowy or icy conditions, consider a winter tire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still happy with mine, and still the absolute best snow performance I've ever had on a non-snow tire.

And, as you probably saw, they handled my extensive off roading last month very well. Even without ever airing down (don't make that mistake).

I'd suggest the MR502s for a beefier look. I couldn't decide then, and still can't now. I leaned towards the ironically delicate look of the LM Shadows, which seems to work well in photos.

Would your tire setup work with these rims (TSW Sebring* 17x8 40OFF (tested by @FourMoBro) ) instead of (Liquid Metal Shadow 17x7.5 5/114.3 40+10mm) and be the same or as close as possible to circumference to stock? Tks

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Would your tire setup work with these rims (TSW Sebring* 17x8 40OFF (tested by @FourMoBro) ) instead of (Liquid Metal Shadow 17x7.5 5/114.3 40+10mm) and be the same or as close as possible to circumference to stock? Tks
No +10 possible. We're inset. +10 pushes the rim farther away from the centerline.

So, they're identical offset, and can't be changed to be closer to stock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts