Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my blue Ascent Limited, but there are a few pet peeves that I'm hoping many of you experts can help me with:
  • Is there any way to change the Ascent settings to allow me to open the doors or trunk from the outside with my key fob? I hate the fact that I have to manually press the unlock button from inside the car to open the trunk or a passenger door (e.g., to get stroller or baby car seat); I'm so used to just having the doors have FOB sensors and it'll unlock from the outside with the FOB in my pocket, even when the engine is running.
  • Do the rear passenger doors have FOB sensors so that I can simply pull the handle to unlock/open the rear passenger doors WITHOUT needing to press the FOB's unlock button? I keep the FOB in my pocket and the ability to open the rear passenger seat while holding a chubby baby and car seat would make my life easier.
  • Is there a way to make the AC run colder? I have it on "min" and feel like the AC doesn't run very cold at all.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I love my blue Ascent Limited, but there are a few pet peeves that I'm hoping many of you experts can help me with:
  • Is there any way to change the Ascent settings to allow me to open the doors or trunk from the outside with my key fob? I hate the fact that I have to manually press the unlock button from inside the car to open the trunk or a passenger door (e.g., to get stroller or baby car seat); I'm so used to just having the doors have FOB sensors and it'll unlock from the outside with the FOB in my pocket, even when the engine is running.
  • Do the rear passenger doors have FOB sensors so that I can simply pull the handle to unlock/open the rear passenger doors WITHOUT needing to press the FOB's unlock button? I keep the FOB in my pocket and the ability to open the rear passenger seat while holding a chubby baby and car seat would make my life easier.
  • Is there a way to make the AC run colder? I have it on "min" and feel like the AC doesn't run very cold at all.
1. There are some settings via the steering wheel / instrument panel options. As long as the doors are unlocked, you should be able to press the button to the left of the steering wheel to pop the rear hatch or get out of the vehicle and press the button by the rear hatch door.

2. Rear doors do not, so I put my hand in the front passenger door handle to unlock and then open the rear passenger door.

3. What other setting do you have set? Min with recirculate and Front vents only should get pretty cold pretty fast. I think were was another thread where someone had the same issue though. Max AC button should cool things down.

Edit: here's the other thread: https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...s/3491-air-conditioning-not-cold-id-like.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1. There are some settings via the steering wheel / instrument panel options. As long as the doors are unlocked, you should be able to press the button to the left of the steering wheel to pop the rear hatch or get out of the vehicle and press the button by the rear hatch door.

2. Rear doors do not, so I put my hand in the front passenger door handle to unlock and then open the rear passenger door.

3. What other setting do you have set? Min with recirculate and Front vents only should get pretty cold pretty fast. I think were was another thread where someone had the same issue though.
1. This is what I've been doing and it's very annoying. I'm so used to just exiting the car to open the rear passenger door or trunk with a key fob in pocket that I've literally had to walk back around the car and into the driver's door to manually press these "unlock" buttons to the left of the steering wheel for trunk and/or unlock button on driver's door. At a minimum, is there a way for me to press the unlock button on the key fob? The key fob is virtually dead when the engine is one - it's literally useless. I can't lock or unlock the car while the engine is running. I haven't seen that with any other cars that I've driven.

This is obviously minor in the grand scheme of the car and I am still quite happy. However, this is a huge pet peeve because it's such a basic feature that I've had with so many other cars (most recently, Chevy Volt and Lexus CT-200h). I know Subaru has to be different, but this "different" has proven to be very annoying. =)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
1. This is what I've been doing and it's very annoying. I'm so used to just exiting the car to open the rear passenger door or trunk with a key fob in pocket that I've literally had to walk back around the car and into the driver's door to manually press these "unlock" buttons to the left of the steering wheel for trunk and/or unlock button on driver's door. At a minimum, is there a way for me to press the unlock button on the key fob? The key fob is virtually dead when the engine is one - it's literally useless. I can't lock or unlock the car while the engine is running. I haven't seen that with any other cars that I've driven.

This is obviously minor in the grand scheme of the car and I am still quite happy. However, this is a huge pet peeve because it's such a basic feature that I've had with so many other cars (most recently, Chevy Volt and Lexus CT-200h). I know Subaru has to be different, but this "different" has proven to be very annoying. =)
There should be a setting for when you open the driver's door that it unlocks the other doors. It's called Driver Door Unlock. Page 197-198 in the manual

There's also auto door lock/unlock. I'm pretty sure I have it set to Driver Door open.

Theoretically, these option could be configured for safety reasons, aka in a sketchy area or if someone was chasing you and you only wanted to unlock the driver door versus all doors.

·
Registered
334 Posts

You can also change when the doors lock and unlock. I have it set to when the car goes into Park. Both lock and unlock are configurable. If you had it unlock while in Park, then you should be able to exit the car and either use the inside button or the outside hatch button to open without the fob. The only time I've ever had an issue with opening the hatch was when the door was locked and that is configurable.

·
Registered
5 Posts

the person replying to you isn’t getting what you’re saying. There doesn’t seem to me a way to make the key fob function while the car is running. I have the exact same big peeve you’re experiencing. The only time the fob works when the car is on is when you start it automatically with the app. Then you can lock and unlock. But once you push the start button, the fob becomes useless. I hate that sooo much about Subaru. It’s so pointless that if I’m standing outside the car that I can’t open the rear hatch with the key or even by just pressing the button on the door without having to unlock all the damn doors. There’s no safety there I shouldn’t have to turn my car off for the fob to take over. Or unlock all my door while she’s running. Sometimes you’re making a quick pull up to put something in the rear but yet all doors have to unlock. I too have never encountered this in any other car. SMH. They need to do better. Even for gassing up. Unlock all doors to open gas tank. With thieves lurking around to open your door and steal items, it’s a big flaw that when I hop out that I now have to unlock all doors to open gas tank and try to remember to lock it back after I open it.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
225 Posts
There's a safety issue, you don't want your power rear gate popping open while driving. Tight jean pockets and FOB buttons don't work well.

Unfortunately they can't cover all the bases to please everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a safety issue, you don't want your power rear gate popping open while driving. Tight jean pockets and FOB buttons don't work well.

Unfortunately they can't cover all the bases to please everyone.
How will the door open while driving….? And with all the other companies that doesn’t do what Subaru does with the lock….I’ve yet to have seen a door open while driving. Or nor have I heard of a study or complaints of people doors opening because of tight jeans or while driving. Or being in a bag where another item can press it. That’s why some have a press and hold or a double press to open. Oh wait, Subaru has a press n hold lift gate. That would have to be some really tight jeans and you in a position where the key is pressed for that long to open the door accidentally. I know that can’t please everyone but come on, something like still having control over my car with my key fob once it’s running (especially the trunk) should be thought of. Most car companies I know allows that. There’s no need to have to unlock all doors when the car is on in order to get to the back. If the fob is sensed at the back, I should be able to open it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,260 Posts
Marc, one of the reasons I have silicone covers on my fobs is because of repeated discovery of...open hatches, sometimes after hours of being open...on both my Ascent and Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester. With two fobs in my pocket, bending over absolutely can do a "press and hold". It hasn't been repeated since I moved to the covers which soften the corners of the fobs and make it a lot harder for the long-press to happen by circumstance. There are others who have reported the same thing over time. It also happened with my previous vehicle, a Grand Cherokee, under the same circumstances.

If your vehicle is running, as long as the driver's door is unlocked, either by the button on the driver's door or by opening it, you can open (or close) the hatch with either a long-press on the dash button while sitting or open it by pressing the sensor under the handle on the hatch itself. Only the driver's door needs to be unlocked for these to work, BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Marc, one of the reasons I have silicone covers on my fobs is because of repeated discovery of...open hatches, sometimes after hours of being open...on both my Ascent and Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester. With two fobs in my pocket, bending over absolutely can do a "press and hold". It hasn't been repeated since I moved to the covers which soften the corners of the fobs and make it a lot harder for the long-press to happen by circumstance. There are others who have reported the same thing over time. It also happened with my previous vehicle, a Grand Cherokee, under the same circumstances.

If your vehicle is running, as long as the driver's door is unlocked, either by the button on the driver's door or by opening it, you can open (or close) the hatch with either a long-press on the dash button while sitting or open it by pressing the sensor under the handle on the hatch itself. Only the driver's door needs to be unlocked for these to work, BTW.
Nooo, I’ve left my driver door unlocked left the car running, came back to put something in my trunk and I still have to unlock all my doors to get the hatch open on my ascent. And as far as keys in the pocket thing, a simple carabiner and hooking on your belt loop is a simple fix. I’ve even pulled up to sit in the driver seat with the car in park and push int button to open my hatch and still won’t open unless I press the unlock button on my door. Trust and believe, I’ve experimented enough to know that once the car is running the fob is completely useless and it’s a peeve of mine with Subaru. Hopefully they do better or after I’m done I probably won’t stay with Subaru. I live in a cold climate and sometimes you would like to just leave it running for 5-10mins, I come back with cargo in my hand, i trying opening the hatch and I can’t, why, because it’s not unlocked. And living where I live, you don’t wanna just leave your car unlocked and walk away while running. Yes I can tie. Her off, lock it and walk away. But I was use with my last two cars with locking it and walking away while running. Even with my Nissan, I could leave her running, lock the door and open the hatch with the foot activation. Because the hatch shouldn’t be tied in with all the other locks while running. Just a bit dumb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The promote dog loving but yet I can’t leave my car running and lock my car with my dog inside. I have to manually lock the doors and use the physical key to unlock the door. My previous car, I could lock and unlock with the fob. Doing that is a bit annoying. Because I wanna take my dog for ride but not all places allow dog inside and I’m never gonna leave my dog in the car with it not running.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent (sold), 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
971 Posts
Yea, I'm with Marc. They do promote the animal life style while simultaneously not allow certain fob actions that some of the other big companies allow.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can no longer open my hatch under any circumstance while the engine it running. I know the drill - car in park/doors unlocked. It used to work as inteneded but now all I get is three beeps. I have to shut the engine off now. It's a mystery why it behaves this way all of a sudden. I intend to have the dealer look at it whenever I get the latest CVT recall performed. Not looking forward to the diagnostic fee...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,260 Posts
And as far as keys in the pocket thing, a simple carabiner and hooking on your belt loop is a simple fix
I've done that for two decades, but the keys and fob still get tucked into a pocket to avoid sounding like a herd of reindeer. But even with it hanging out, there were occasional instances of opening hatches because of whatever lifting or other work I was doing at the time. The point there is that a long-press is absolutely possible without one's fingers being involved. I need to carry two fobs now for reasons I'll not go into, so they go in a pocket and stay there, separate from my other keys. No matter, I'm sad things don't work they way you prefer and hope you can find an accomodation that satisfies you.

·
Administrator
13,162 Posts
I can no longer open my hatch under any circumstance while the engine it running. I know the drill - car in park/doors unlocked.
Press and hold the outside button on the liftgate until it beeps twice. After which, the hatch should open.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Press and hold the outside button on the liftgate until it beeps twice. After which, the hatch should open.
Thanks, I will try that. Is that an every-time thing or more of a reset? I also cannot open the hatch with the dash button while the engine is running even with doors unlocked and in Park. I'll try to press and hold with that too (I think I have tried this but I'll do it again). It used to do it wthout issue, now I get three beeps.

·
Administrator
13,162 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. Is that an every-time thing or more of a reset? I also cannot open the hatch with the dash button while the engine is running even with doors unlocked and in Park. I'll try to press and hold with that too (I think I have tried this but I'll do it again). It used to do it wthout issue, now I get three beeps.
Every time. Also, try (a) making sure the car is in park (and not a gear), and/or (b) turning off memory height if all you're getting is three quick beeps, if either of those is applicable.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Every time. Also, try (a) making sure the car is in park (and not a gear), and/or (b) turning off memory height if all you're getting is three quick beeps, if either of those is applicable.
I got excited and left the office to try this. Started the engine and was 100% sure the doors are unlocked (and closed), car in park, and memory height off (button out)...

Dash button will not work even with a press and hold - get three beeps.
Hatch button will cause it to beep three times, but a press and hold will unlatch it so that it can be opened manually.
Both of the buttons do close the power rear gate as expected - only have a problem with opening.

Is this a BIU issue?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.