Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my blue Ascent Limited, but there are a few pet peeves that I'm hoping many of you experts can help me with:
  • Is there any way to change the Ascent settings to allow me to open the doors or trunk from the outside with my key fob? I hate the fact that I have to manually press the unlock button from inside the car to open the trunk or a passenger door (e.g., to get stroller or baby car seat); I'm so used to just having the doors have FOB sensors and it'll unlock from the outside with the FOB in my pocket, even when the engine is running.
  • Do the rear passenger doors have FOB sensors so that I can simply pull the handle to unlock/open the rear passenger doors WITHOUT needing to press the FOB's unlock button? I keep the FOB in my pocket and the ability to open the rear passenger seat while holding a chubby baby and car seat would make my life easier.
  • Is there a way to make the AC run colder? I have it on "min" and feel like the AC doesn't run very cold at all.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I love my blue Ascent Limited, but there are a few pet peeves that I'm hoping many of you experts can help me with:
  • Is there any way to change the Ascent settings to allow me to open the doors or trunk from the outside with my key fob? I hate the fact that I have to manually press the unlock button from inside the car to open the trunk or a passenger door (e.g., to get stroller or baby car seat); I'm so used to just having the doors have FOB sensors and it'll unlock from the outside with the FOB in my pocket, even when the engine is running.
  • Do the rear passenger doors have FOB sensors so that I can simply pull the handle to unlock/open the rear passenger doors WITHOUT needing to press the FOB's unlock button? I keep the FOB in my pocket and the ability to open the rear passenger seat while holding a chubby baby and car seat would make my life easier.
  • Is there a way to make the AC run colder? I have it on "min" and feel like the AC doesn't run very cold at all.
1. There are some settings via the steering wheel / instrument panel options. As long as the doors are unlocked, you should be able to press the button to the left of the steering wheel to pop the rear hatch or get out of the vehicle and press the button by the rear hatch door.

2. Rear doors do not, so I put my hand in the front passenger door handle to unlock and then open the rear passenger door.

3. What other setting do you have set? Min with recirculate and Front vents only should get pretty cold pretty fast. I think were was another thread where someone had the same issue though. Max AC button should cool things down.

Edit: here's the other thread: https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...s/3491-air-conditioning-not-cold-id-like.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1. There are some settings via the steering wheel / instrument panel options. As long as the doors are unlocked, you should be able to press the button to the left of the steering wheel to pop the rear hatch or get out of the vehicle and press the button by the rear hatch door.

2. Rear doors do not, so I put my hand in the front passenger door handle to unlock and then open the rear passenger door.

3. What other setting do you have set? Min with recirculate and Front vents only should get pretty cold pretty fast. I think were was another thread where someone had the same issue though.
1. This is what I've been doing and it's very annoying. I'm so used to just exiting the car to open the rear passenger door or trunk with a key fob in pocket that I've literally had to walk back around the car and into the driver's door to manually press these "unlock" buttons to the left of the steering wheel for trunk and/or unlock button on driver's door. At a minimum, is there a way for me to press the unlock button on the key fob? The key fob is virtually dead when the engine is one - it's literally useless. I can't lock or unlock the car while the engine is running. I haven't seen that with any other cars that I've driven.

This is obviously minor in the grand scheme of the car and I am still quite happy. However, this is a huge pet peeve because it's such a basic feature that I've had with so many other cars (most recently, Chevy Volt and Lexus CT-200h). I know Subaru has to be different, but this "different" has proven to be very annoying. =)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
1. This is what I've been doing and it's very annoying. I'm so used to just exiting the car to open the rear passenger door or trunk with a key fob in pocket that I've literally had to walk back around the car and into the driver's door to manually press these "unlock" buttons to the left of the steering wheel for trunk and/or unlock button on driver's door. At a minimum, is there a way for me to press the unlock button on the key fob? The key fob is virtually dead when the engine is one - it's literally useless. I can't lock or unlock the car while the engine is running. I haven't seen that with any other cars that I've driven.

This is obviously minor in the grand scheme of the car and I am still quite happy. However, this is a huge pet peeve because it's such a basic feature that I've had with so many other cars (most recently, Chevy Volt and Lexus CT-200h). I know Subaru has to be different, but this "different" has proven to be very annoying. =)
There should be a setting for when you open the driver's door that it unlocks the other doors. It's called Driver Door Unlock. Page 197-198 in the manual

There's also auto door lock/unlock. I'm pretty sure I have it set to Driver Door open.

Theoretically, these option could be configured for safety reasons, aka in a sketchy area or if someone was chasing you and you only wanted to unlock the driver door versus all doors.

·
Registered
334 Posts

You can also change when the doors lock and unlock. I have it set to when the car goes into Park. Both lock and unlock are configurable. If you had it unlock while in Park, then you should be able to exit the car and either use the inside button or the outside hatch button to open without the fob. The only time I've ever had an issue with opening the hatch was when the door was locked and that is configurable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.