Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2019 Ascent was left in Florida last April. we have a house sitter that planned to start it and give it a little exercise every week or 2. at this point, he cannot open the car with the fob. he also cannot open the car with the manual key. the total car seems to be dead. the car is stored in a covered parking spot. there seems to be no way to get into the car. the car battery may be dead but there is not way to get the hood open to jump it.

the house sitter has tried everything and he has no added clue about how to enter the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
I do believe the manual key only works in one orientation so maybe try flipping the key around.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
I do believe the manual key only works in one orientation so maybe try flipping the key around.
True. I had never tried my manual key before so I figured I’d give it a shot. Key only fits in fully one way and only unlocks it when turned clockwise. There wasn’t much of any resistance.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
651 Posts
This thread is making me think I should give my manual key a try, just to make sure it works okay. Never had need to try it before, but better to try it proactively then to wait until it's necessary and find out the hard way if for some reason it doesn't work.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
my 2019 Ascent was left in Florida last April. we have a house sitter that planned to start it and give it a little exercise every week or 2. at this point, he cannot open the car with the fob. he also cannot open the car with the manual key. the total car seems to be dead. the car is stored in a covered parking spot. there seems to be no way to get into the car. the car battery may be dead but there is not way to get the hood open to jump it.

the house sitter has tried everything and he has no added clue about how to enter the car.

Do you have the oem tow hitch and wiring installed, they could use the battery slot on the 7 pin connector to charge the battery up.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
35 Posts

I have found that using just the door handle works best for me, both for locking and unlocking. Once I pushed the gate bottom inside at the same time wife pushed the bottom on the gate. Car was not happy, had to lock then unlock with handle before I could get the gate to open. Fob battery may be the issue also.
The key is for worst case back up and should work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts