Subaru Ascent Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We just purchased our first Subaru this Friday, and we can not figure out what this random chime is? (Video in link) Does anyone have an idea what it is? It doesn’t appear to be a seat belt chime ( I also disabled “seatbelt reminder”) Is it a speed limit alert? I’ve searched the car and Starlink manual and have no idea 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Ditto on never hearing anything that remotely sounds like that.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Wow, that's a new one. Is your seat belt latched? I don't believe you can disable the reminder (did you have your dealership do it?).

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
That doesn't turn of the sear belt chime. There's no user setting for that.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Is there anything (non human) on the passenger seat?

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Do you have kids and did they leave anything under a seat that beeps? LOL. Been there done that

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
May be a defective or "stuck" sensor for the rear seats...get the dealer to investigate.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
This may sound stupid, so I apologize in advance. But, I think you may be on to something with the "speed limit alert" thought.

Watching your video, I can see that at the 0:02-0:03 mark, you pass a speed limit sign for 30mph. Also, In the upper-left of your dash (above/left of the speed indicator) shows a similar sign (30mph, although I can't make that out from the video). The indicator on your dash is simply from the nav system data for the speed limit for that road. It's often incorrect when localities change speed limits.

While you are driving above the 30mph, the chime dings every five seconds ... but the moment you drop to 30 (and below) prior to turning the chime stops.

Is this a 2021? If so, I would have to find a way to turn that off IMMEDIATELY! 😀😀

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
@E-EC-ECU hmmm, possibly? There's no mention of such a feature in the 2021 MY manual, but that doesn't mean it wasn't updated. If it's there, it will probably be in one of the following:

• Settings->Navigation
  • MAPS->Settings
That gave me another idea!!!

Second possibility, is it an app on the phone?
Google's Maps has speed limit warnings in some versions. This feature DID appear on Android for a little while and was rolled out to iPhone. I believe Waze has an option for this as well.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Also, found this on the Outback Forum ( Audible speed limit alert on Outback ). The original poster had an actual "voice" coming through the speakers. Anyway, most people didn't quite believe the issue, but around page 2-3 more people figured it out and it was somehow related to the Starlink app.They deleted the Starlink app and they were good to go.

Have you tried connecting Starlink from your phone to your Ascent yet? If so, you may want to delete it. It's actually quite useless (in my opinion) as the MySubaru app controls everything you REALLY need and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have made the Starlink Smartphone app pretty obsolete.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Good find, but, fortunately for us, that's a very different head unit with a number of different features, so, no worries that it's the same issue. That's what's in the Outback I just returned yesterday after 3 weeks of playing.

Also, found this on the Outback Forum ( Audible speed limit alert on Outback ). The original poster had an actual "voice" coming through the speakers. Anyway, most people didn't quite believe the issue, but around page 2-3 more people figured it out and it was somehow related to the Starlink app.They deleted the Starlink app and they were good to go.

Have you tried connecting Starlink from your phone to your Ascent yet? If so, you may want to. It's actually quite useless (in my opinion) as the MySubaru app controls everything you REALLY need and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have made the Starlink Smartphone app pretty obsolete.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Good find, but, fortunately for us, that's a very different head unit with a number of different features, so, no worries that it's the same issue. That's what's in the Outback I just returned yesterday after 3 weeks of playing.
Oh well, thought it might have some impact. But, it does go to show that there may be bells and whistles that many fellow car owners don't know about ... so the mystery continues!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
There's things I really liked about the new Gen 4.x system in the Outbacks, and things I really didn't. Auto Start/Stop being on by default, and AVH not remembering settings really annoyed me, for instance. That big display when navigating was great. There's some fixes and updates I didn't experience (the new firmware wasn't on the Outback I drove), but, overall, the new system has a LOT of potential, and, with Subaru listening to owner feedback, I suspect by the time we see it in the Ascents (because that'll be my next car too), it will be quite polished based on owner feedback.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.