Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery on my Ascent this past Tuesday. The finance manager at the dealer I used went over paperwork with me...discussed the exterior/interior treatment package and mentioned maintenance packages. I specifically told him I did NOT want a maintenance package. He didn't even discuss extended warranties with me (which I thought was weird, but I had already spent so much time at the dealership I was just glad to be done with that part of things).

I signed all the paperwork and got home and then looked it all over to make sure I understood it all. There was a $3200 "diamond plus" extended warranty added to my loan that the finance manager never discussed, never even mentioned to me, and just added it on to the final financing paperwork. I was livid when I read it. I contacted my salesperson the next day and he said as long as I came into the dealership within 30 days and talked to the finance manager I could cancel the warranty.

This is my first Subaru, and in fact I haven't ever bought a brand new car, but is this kind of deceit typical? Is it because I'm a female and they figured I wouldn't know any better? I guess I should have gone over all the paperwork with a fine toothed comb...there is NO separate form in there, signed or otherwise, about this extended warranty that shows up on the loan signature page. It puts a really bad taste in my mouth about the whole experience.

ETA: This "diamond plus" warranty isn't even a Subaru warranty! It's from some random warranty company!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took delivery on my Ascent this past Tuesday. The finance manager at the dealer I used went over paperwork with me...discussed the exterior/interior treatment package and mentioned maintenance packages. I specifically told him I did NOT want a maintenance package. He didn't even discuss extended warranties with me (which I thought was weird, but I had already spent so much time at the dealership I was just glad to be done with that part of things).

I signed all the paperwork and got home and then looked it all over to make sure I understood it all. There was a $3200 "diamond plus" extended warranty added to my loan that the finance manager never discussed, never even mentioned to me, and just added it on to the final financing paperwork. I was livid when I read it. I contacted my salesperson the next day and he said as long as I came into the dealership within 30 days and talked to the finance manager I could cancel the warranty.

This is my first Subaru, and in fact I haven't ever bought a brand new car, but is this kind of deceit typical? Is it because I'm a female and they figured I wouldn't know any better? I guess I should have gone over all the paperwork with a fine toothed comb...there is NO separate form in there, signed or otherwise, about this extended warranty that shows up on the loan signature page. It puts a really bad taste in my mouth about the whole experience.

ETA: This "diamond plus" warranty isn't even a Subaru warranty! It's from some random warranty company!
Get your money back on that non Subaru Warranty-If you had really been reading the forum you should call
Luke Corcione
Financial Services Director
Main: 203-252-2222 ext 109
Fax: 203-252-2139
Off: Thursdays and Sundays.
[email protected] My Gold plus 8 year 80,000 was just over 800.00 Get your money back and make the call!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have heard of this before. You can get your money back but it will take time. File a email complaint with Subaru directly via subaru.com. $3200 for any warranty is insane especially a cheap non Subaru warranty that probably has a book value of $600.

Then contact the dealer via email make sure you save all comms and responses. If they call you write down the date , time length of the call who called you and what was said. This info alone can make it a slam dunk getting refunded for the unacceptable warranty

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you and I hope that you can get your money back from this sleazeball finance manager/dealer.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
For every good dealer like we have on this forum, there are 10 poor dealers who try to pack every conceivable option into the loan to make more profit on your purchase. We just purchased a used 2018 Outback 3.6 from a Ford dealer here in Denver and they attempted to add $459 car care package (interior/exterior protection) and $249 vehicle theft insurance from Allstate onto the price of vehicle after we had agreed on a price. My wife threatened to walk on the deal even though she loved the car, so they acquiesced and cut the price in half. We are still upset, but the deal on the Outback and our trade was excellent.

Out of all the dealers I have dealt with in the past 40 years, I would only give one dealer a five star rating: AutoNation Subaru West in Golden, CO. They have a nice compliment of sales/service/finance people. They asked if I wanted certain options, but did not require me to take them like the Ford dealer did.

They said the items were non-negotiable because they had posted signs around the sales floor indicating the charges. The signs were in "hidden" places with very small print. Needless to say, we won't be visiting that dealership anytime soon.

Please request a refund for that warranty. They will probably only be able to place the "credit" on your outstanding loan balance, but that is much better than nothing! Never buy a third party warranty on a new car, only get the manufacturer extended warranty if you think you need one at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Rough numbers Subaru gold warranty for 100k on the Ascent is probably around $1100 give or take $300. So when you do buy a Subaru warranty via dealer be aware the dealer can sell it to you for any number above the book price probably $1000.

Subaru will also mail you warranty purchase info for the first 3 yrs. your covered till then anyway

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get your money back on that non Subaru Warranty-If you had really been reading the forum you should call
Luke Corcione
Financial Services Director
Main: 203-252-2222 ext 109
Fax: 203-252-2139
Off: Thursdays and Sundays.
[email protected] My Gold plus 8 year 80,000 was just over 800.00 Get your money back and make the call!!!!
Yes, I had already heard about this guy. I wasn’t planning on buying any extended warranty, actually, and if I did it would have been through him. This finance manager didn’t even discuss extended warranties with me. If he had, I would have said no thanks (just like I did for the maintenance plans he tried to sell me).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Btw the dealer probably made $2600 on that BS move. He doubled his profit by doing that to you.
I would get it if they just sold me the warranty and I agreed to it. He didn’t even bring it up. I would never have agreed to a third party warranty (and also wouldn’t have bought a Subaru warranty from the dealer unless they planned to match what the Bay Area guy on here offers).

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don’t wait long the dealer will try to prorate it by the day and not return the full amount. As mentioned it’s usually applied as a credit to your owed payments. If you paid cash which Subaru of all brands has the highest number of cash buyers the dealer will be very very very slow to cut you a check.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
We had a similar situation when we bought our 2012 CRV. The issue that we ran into was that the cost of the extended warranty was financed. So the way the amount was returned was through the balance of the owed loan amount. I know it’s the same in the long run, but it did not change our monthly payment, it reduced the number of payments required at the back end.

And needless to say, the finance manager wasn’t happy with the additional paperwork that he created for himself.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
18 Posts
Borrowers have an obligation to know what they are agreeing to. I'm not defending inappropriate actions by lenders (or dealership finance folks), but when you sign something, you are agreeing to the terms. Jeez -- become an adult, already. Some folks are so willing to embarrass themselves.

At a minimum, know the principal amount to which you are agreeing to finance, just as you would if you were going to a bank for a loan. Anyone who agrees to finance terms without recognizing an add-on of $3,000+ gets little sympathy from me, frankly.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
This is my first Subaru, and in fact I haven't ever bought a brand new car, but is this kind of deceit typical?

It sure as heck better not be. Please message me the name of the dealership. I wish to ensure I never ever refer anyone to them.

·
Read Only
75 Posts
Rough numbers Subaru gold warranty for 100k on the Ascent is probably around $1100 give or take $300. So when you do buy a Subaru warranty via dealer be aware the dealer can sell it to you for any number above the book price probably $1000.

Subaru will also mail you warranty purchase info for the first 3 yrs. your covered till then anyway
The warranty that Subaru will mail you is the classic not the gold plus. the gold plus is the actual bumper to bumper warrnaty.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The warranty that Subaru will mail you is the classic not the gold plus. the gold plus is the actual bumper to bumper warrnaty.
Yes, but during those three years, one can purchase the other Subaru warranties. No need to buy one now.

·
Read Only
75 Posts
Yes, but during those three years, one can purchase the other Subaru warranties. No need to buy one now.
Yes ,you are correct, but then again , prices can change and have already as of July 6, Subaru had a small price increase. Also as for now, Subaru is not requiring the dealer to add the $295.00 Turbo surcharge. This probably will change in the near future. So the best reason to get the gold plus now is, Price and peace of mind.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I decided the same thing...

Yes ,you are correct, but then again , prices can change and have already as of July 6, Subaru had a small price increase. Also as for now, Subaru is not requiring the dealer to add the $295.00 Turbo surcharge. This probably will change in the near future. So the best reason to get the gold plus now is, Price and peace of mind.
:grin: I got the 8/120K Gold the day I signed my paperwork. :tango_face_wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.