Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for sharing it looks like the area just in front of the rear tires is where I need to use the power washer to stop some of the winter rust from salt. Glad I got the extended warranty didn’t even think about extra brake controls, car a rolling computer!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for sharing it looks like the area just in front of the rear tires is where I need to use the power washer to stop some of the winter rust from salt. Glad I got the extended warranty didn’t even think about extra brake controls, car a rolling computer!
More like a rolling network of beacoup computers:smile_big:

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the pics Robert! Can you or someone mark where you can safely jack the car up from as well as show where to place jack stands under?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pics Robert! Can you or someone mark where you can safely jack the car up from as well as show where to place jack stands under?

Your welcome. My lift that I used for the pictures is a drive on lift. Makes oil changes easy. This is my first car since the 80s without a full frame so I am not 100% sure where to put the jack stands. If I had to I would just figure it out but what I would come up with might not be the Subaru designed locations. Has anyone who downloaded the manual have the lift point diagram?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Brakes... the rear brakes have a couple interesting solenoids attached. I am guessing they are for the E-Brake.
They're not solenoids- they're actually motors that turn a cam to compress the brake pads. When I hold the brake pedal while pulling up on the parking brake switch, I can feel the pedal slowly sink a bit as the e-brake compresses the brake pads.

On another note, the plug going into the rear differential cover is quite interesting- Never seen this on my prior Subaru's. Even my former 16 Legacy didn't have this. Wonder if it's for a sensor or some kind of solenoid to lock the rear differential. I'll have to look through the service manual for the Ascent to find out what it's for.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're not solenoids- they're actually motors that turn a cam to compress the brake pads. When I hold the brake pedal while pulling up on the parking brake switch, I can feel the pedal slowly sink a bit as the e-brake compresses the brake pads.

On another note, the plug going into the rear differential cover is quite interesting- Never seen this on my prior Subaru's. Even my former 16 Legacy didn't have this. Wonder if it's for a sensor or some kind of solenoid to lock the rear differential. I'll have to look through the service manual for the Ascent to find out what it's for.
Thanks for identifying what I thought looked like solenoids. :smile: Hopefully, in time, someone will write up their first brake job and show us what to do with that.

I noticed the wires going to the rear diff too. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for identifying what I thought looked like solenoids. :smile: Hopefully, in time, someone will write up their first brake job and show us what to do with that.

I noticed the wires going to the rear diff too. Please let us know what you find out.
I haven't yet done a brake job but I have removed all four calipers to epoxy paint them to avoid rusting.

The electrical motors are indeed for the e-brake. Everyone who does their own brakes should be very happy about these because they're much better than cable operated e-brakes. Cable operated e-brakes are a nightmare to work on, the cables are usually difficult to remove/install and they eventually rust. Some require internal brake shoes which are difficult to service and adjust. The electrically operated e-brakes on the Ascent look like a breeze to service. They only require an electrical wire which is very easy to remove/install and they use the existing disk brake pad rather than separate drum shoes.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Maybe because this thread is old but no pictures are showing up on an iPad. Is there a reason for this?
I am away from the car am planning on DIY undercoating when i get home and was hoping to see if there are any underbody plugs that can be removed, and also just get a look at it so i know what to expect. I was under it a couple of weeks ago but didn’t take any photos...
Thanks in advance
SA

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Mine still looks like that.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for re-posting the pictures. It's a shame the original pictures in all of the old forum threads were lost.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RobertM I am not sure why some pictures are doubling but as a moderator feel free to kill duplicates. I have more that i am about to post and feel free to fix them. sorry about the doubles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts