Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I wanted to clear up some confusion on roof rail cross bar load ratings and how they apply to the Ascent.

Key things:
  • IN MOTION: ALL crossbars are limited to 176 pounds when the vehicle is in motion (or the crossbar rating if it's lower), no matter what the manufacturer rating of the bars themselves are.
  • VEHICLE PARKED: ALL crossbars are limited to the LOWER OF the car's 700 pound roof rating OR the cross bar's load rating (whichever is lower).
  • ALL weights stated above must include the weight of the crossbars (and any boxes, cargo, etc). For instance, if you install crossbars that weigh 15 pounds, then you can only put 161 pounds on them for a vehicle in motion.
Subaru (Thule Subaru branded) cross bars:
  • The Aero are limited to 150 pounds.
  • The Aero Extended are limited to 176 pounds in motion but 700 pounds when stopped. That makes them ideal for a roof tent.

SOOOO... In Summary:
If you're talking about for driving with something on top of the car, almost any crossbar will work, because you are limited to 176 pounds no matter how much more the crossbar can handle. So, at worst, avoid the really cheap ones with a 150 pound rating so you don't lose 26 pounds carrying capacity.

So, for instance, getting a set of Yakima rails rated for 225 pounds means you are limited to 176 pounds for a vehicle in motion, and 225 pounds for a parked vehicle.

You'll find this all in page 388-389 of your manuals.
But hopefully, I've explained it a little clearer.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of you are talking about roof tents. Here's a post that details the crossbar scenario.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey all, I wanted to clear up some confusion on roof rail cross bar load ratings and how they apply to the Ascent.

Key things:
  • IN MOTION: ALL crossbars are limited to 176 pounds when the vehicle is in motion (or the crossbar rating if it's lower), no matter what the manufacturer rating of the bars themselves are.
  • VEHICLE PARKED: ALL crossbars are limited to the LOWER OF the car's 700 pound roof rating OR the cross bar's load rating (whichever is lower).
  • ALL weights stated above must include the weight of the crossbars (and any boxes, cargo, etc). For instance, if you install crossbars that weigh 15 pounds, then you can only put 161 pounds on them for a vehicle in motion.
  • The Aero are limited to 176 pounds.
  • The Aero Extended are limited to 176 pounds in motion but 700 pounds when stopped. That makes them ideal for a roof tent.

SOOOO... In Summary:
If you're talking about for driving with something on top of the car, almost any crossbar will work, because you are limited to 176 pounds no matter how much more the crossbar can handle. So, at worst, avoid the really cheap ones with a 150 pound rating so you don't lose 26 pounds carrying capacity.

So, for instance, getting a set of Yakima rails rated for 225 pounds means you are limited to 176 pounds for a vehicle in motion, and 225 pounds for a parked vehicle.

Hi Robert, I bought Ascent with Cross Bar Set - Aero - Subaru (E361SFL400). Does it also support 176 pound in motion and 700 pounds when stopped. Thank you

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Robert, I bought Ascent with Cross Bar Set - Aero - Subaru (E361SFL400). Does it also support 176 pound in motion and 700 pounds when stopped. Thank you
Hi Mark,

No, only the Aero Extended support 700 pounds when stopped. The Aero support 176 pounds stopped or in motion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Mark,

No, only the Aero Extended support 700 pounds when stopped. The Aero support 176 pounds stopped or in motion.
Had you bought Thule-AeroBlade-Edge-7503 ? Does it suitable for Tepui
Ruggedized Series Autana 3 with Annex. Per website spec it seems 130lb. thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I really find this post very informative.
just wanna ask, what crossbar can you really recommend? I’m planning to mount my roof top tent, its about 117lbs and plus our family weight (about 375lbs). Looking for a crossbar that extends, but not too far, i kinda need an extra space to mount the awning.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just wanna ask, what crossbar can you really recommend? I’m planning to mount my roof top tent, its about 117lbs and plus our family weight (about 375lbs). Looking for a crossbar that extends, but not too far, i kinda need an extra space to mount the awning.
Subaru branded Aero Extended crossbars.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
An additional point to consider when putting on extended cross bars, many states, and you should check with yours to find out if this applies, do not allow crossbars to extend beyond the edge of your side mirrors. You wouldn't need to do this in order to put on most awnings, but just for your information.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Key things:
  • The Aero are limited to 150 pounds.

SOOOO... In Summary:
If you're talking about for driving with something on top of the car, almost any crossbar will work, because you are limited to 150 pounds no matter how much more the crossbar can handle. So, at worst, avoid the really cheap ones with a 150 pound rating so you don't lose 26 pounds carrying capacity.

Let’s say I have an extra set of the Aero Crossbars and decided to attach them to the rails. Totaling 4 Aero Cross Bars. Would this double the IN MOTION capacity or only the VEHICLE PARKED capacity or neither?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Robert.Mauro, thank you for the response to my previous message. The site wasn't allowing me to post a thank you, so I wanted to say it here.

I've also been searching to no avail for the static weight limitation for the Ascent when attaching a Yakima LocknLoad directly to the side rails with the Yakima Timberline system. So in this instance, the LocknLoad platform effectively serves as the "crossbars." I see where Yakima says its load limit is 165 in motion, but I'm curious about whether there are any basic limitations for the raised side rails themselves on the Ascent.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all

I'm planning to buy a hard shell roof top tent that weights no more than 150 pounds. I have a set of Thule 450R with squarebars. Would the Thule racks mounted on factory railing on the Ascent be able to support the tent while in motion and with two person on top (approximately 250 lbs) parked? I'm also thinking of adding a rooftop pull out awning on the side (25lbs).

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not understand how the Aero has the same load dynamic and standard? How is that possible? rated to 150 pounds moving and all forces on it moving would you not think static it would be greater?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not understand how the Aero has the same load dynamic and standard? How is that possible? rated to 150 pounds moving and all forces on it moving would you not think static it would be greater?
Nope. Those are different loading forces.

Exceeding 150 pounds will bend or bow them. I've seen it happen.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
367 Posts
Confused by the beginning post of this thread. If 150 is the total cross bar weight allowed when in motion, but the crossbars are 15 pounds, doesn't that mean 135 pounds is what's left? But that post says 161 would be allowed, which would be adding 11 pounds to the 150 limit, not subtracting 15 pounds. Or am I missing something. I'm tired at the moment, so maybe I'm missing something, and when scanning through the thread I saw mention of 176pounds, but not sure where that factors in (the Aero wt limit? But Subaru's 150 limit would supersede that, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just researching this on the famous world wide web and ran into this forum. I currently have a 2018 forester XT and was wondering if anyone on here had any opinions on this? I'm gonna post it on the forester forums and see what those guys think about adding an extra cross rail...

Does anyone here think it'll help the weight capacity???

I ran into a 4runner forum, where one guy said, having for example: 3 cross rails vs. 2 cross rails could definitely help in having a higher weight capacity/limit.

Let’s say I have an extra set of the Aero Crossbars and decided to attach them to the rails. Totaling 4 Aero Cross Bars. Would this double the IN MOTION capacity or only the VEHICLE PARKED capacity or neither?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Confused by the beginning post of this thread. If 150 is the total cross bar weight allowed when in motion, but the crossbars are 15 pounds, doesn't that mean 135 pounds is what's left? But that post says 161 would be allowed, which would be adding 11 pounds to the 150 limit, not subtracting 15 pounds. Or am I missing something. I'm tired at the moment, so maybe I'm missing something, and when scanning through the thread I saw mention of 176pounds, but not sure where that factors in (the Aero wt limit? But Subaru's 150 limit would supersede that, right?
Somehow, the numbers in the original post got messed up. I've fixed that.

The lowest weight wins.
  1. Max in motion weight minus crossbars (176-15=161)
  2. Cross bar rating (Aero: 150 pounds in all circumstances)
We would use #2 because it's the lowest.

Static loads (parked), same applies:
Aero crossbars:
  1. Roof rails: 700 pounds static load
  2. Aero crossbars: 150 pounds static load
We again use #2.

Aero Extended Crossbars:
  1. Roof rails: 700 pounds static load
  2. Aero Extended: 700 pounds
So, we have the following results :
  • Aero parked: 150 pounds
  • Aero in motion: 150 pounds
  • Aero Extended parked: 700 pounds
  • Aero Extended in motion: 176 pounds

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You may want to add the intent of the 176# limitation during motion. So the intent of the limiting the weight above the roof during driving is to perhaps reduce the rollover effect. When you have increase of load away from the designed center-of-gravity, the weight tend to swing near the roof and prevent the car being planted to the ground.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You are on the roght track in thinking that the load would spread across a larger area. The 700 lbs parked is the max no matter what setup you have due to the max car roof load, period. the in motion load is somewhat dependent on the transfer of the loads to the pillars, which presumably are the point loads for the vehicle roof. My guess is that it would not necesarily double per se, but it would increase the in motion capacity (physics being physics). You might reach out to the cross bar manufacturer on this, although they probably would not want to formally endorse anything. They can safely stick to their product load capacity which involves their own deflection testing for a set of crossbars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts