Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a two way radio such as this one?

We used handheld radios during our most recent trip but wanted to install something more permanent. Has anyone installed one of these? Do you mind sharing the wiring and mounting instructions for the antenna and base unit? TIA!

·
Registered
13 Posts
See this thread:

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I use the Bearcat CB of very similar design. I can post a video in a few minutes showing you what I did.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Hope this gives you some ideas.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Pull the wheel well, and you will have access to it. You will see where the hood release gets hooked to the fender. It's easy to route along that, and then under the felt piece in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Touring and wanted to mount antennas without drilling holes so I went with clamps on the roof rails. A 2 meter ham on 1 side and an HF on the other on a fold down mount. Im still working on where to remote mount the radio, probably under the drivers seat on top of the amp. The coax goes down the B-pillar around the top edge of the door, and then under the seat to the radio. The power lines will run thru one of the grommets (thank you for the pictures) to the engine compartment. I need to go to the battery because my unit pulls 40 amps.
The HF antenna with the fold over and the spring makes the car almost 12 feet tall.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Do you have a link to the antenna?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 2 meter is a Signal Stuff - Super Elastic Signal Stalk with the NMO mount (made from super elastic springy metal!)
Super Elastic Signal Stalk. Its on a solid mount because Im not worried about it getting bent or damaged.
The HF is a Franken-stine of an MFJ-1699T(with the wander lead, 2m and 10m-80m) and various adapters, springs and mounts. I need to remount it with Loctite on all the fasteners as the windload tends to make it loosen up.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
118 Posts
I have a Touring and wanted to mount antennas without drilling holes so I went with clamps on the roof rails. A 2 meter ham on 1 side and an HF on the other on a fold down mount. Im still working on where to remote mount the radio, probably under the drivers seat on top of the amp. The coax goes down the B-pillar around the top edge of the door, and then under the seat to the radio. The power lines will run thru one of the grommets (thank you for the pictures) to the engine compartment. I need to go to the battery because my unit pulls 40 amps.
The HF antenna with the fold over and the spring makes the car almost 12 feet tall. View attachment 12552 View attachment 12553
What mount did you use that attaches to the roof rail?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The foldover for the HF was this Comet mount, if you use the included longer screws, it attaches really nice (use locktite):
Comet Antennas RS-660U Comet RS-660U Mobile Antenna Adjustable Roof Rack Mounts | DX Engineering
The fixed one for the whip was one of these standard Midland bar mounts. You have to get the long adapter to use it with most anything because the material is so thick. Fits good though.
Amazon.com: Midland Universal Roll Bar/Mirror Antenna Mount with NMO Connector - Works with Midland MicroMobile MXT105, MXT115, MXT275, MXT400: Home Audio & Theater
They both seem to ground pretty well, if I have any problems in the future, I'll put on jumper down to the roof skin.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Robert, I see that you have the Nameless Performance strut bar. Have you recognized an advantage having it installed? Did you install it to prevent undo flexing while offroading? Does it possible help with the reported hood flexing some owners have mentioned? It obviously wouldn't directly help the hood flexing but I wondered it it stiffened the "frame" and helped the hood hinge points remain more rigid.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I've honestly got no idea. Alas, it went on at the same time I installed my big lift kit, so, I have no idea how much is the new springs, the lift kit spacers, or the strut brace. Others who have recommended it have said it makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
At a minimum it looks coo and it certainly can't hurt. I see yours is red. Nameless website advertises it as black. Was there a choice? For performance add-ons, I like the bling of color under the hood.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
At a minimum it looks coo and it certainly can't hurt. I see yours is red. Nameless website advertises it as black. Was there a choice? For performance add-ons, I like the bling of color under the hood.
Yes, black or "Wrinkle Red". I also got red.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts