Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do with a car you love??? Do you chance a third one in hopes it’s the charm or do you cut your losses and move on?

I really want to love this car. After the first lemon buyback ordeal not sure I’m even up for the second, but it meets the days out of service tomorrow. Decisions, decisions...

There is not another car out there I want more than this one. For the money it checks all my boxes and has all the features I love and the styling I was craving. Subaru is making this hard!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! We are in a loaner now. So frustrating. I would almost chance the 2020 Ascent. My neighbors are all like , thought you got a new Ascent a year ago... I did!!! I’ve only had it in my driveway though from sept- nov then April. Hahahaha! I’m about to start telling them I’m just a subaru test car driver! Haha!

·
Registered
646 Posts
What would you do with a car you love??? Do you chance a third one in hopes it’s the charm or do you cut your losses and move on?

I really want to love this car. After the first lemon buyback ordeal not sure I’m even up for the second, but it meets the days out of service tomorrow. Decisions, decisions...

There is not another car out there I want more than this one. For the money it checks all my boxes and has all the features I love and the styling I was craving. Subaru is making this hard!
Like I mentioned before I turned my Ascent in early on lease to purchase a 19 Forester Touring, not because I had issues although I had the lurching fake shifts and the moaning sounds and I thought the overall fit and finish/build quality was not there, but It was to big for me and my wife and looking down the road as we age the Forester made more sense to us. The Forester IMO rides better, is quieter and has the typical Subaru build quality that I have enjoyed . Only a month in I have no problems to report. I think you would better with the refreshed Pilot or maybe the redesigned Highlander. I you don't need 3 rows the new Outback looks nice although that 11.6 inch head unit could be interesting.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah don’t need third row until the grand babies start making appearances! Haha! Such a hard decision since I hate the pilot and highlander...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah don’t need third row until the grand babies start making appearances! Haha! Such a hard decision since I hate the pilot and highlander...
Snowgirl - I am sorry to hear about this. May I ask why your second Subaru Ascent is in the shop? (hope I didn't miss the reason posted elsewhere)

After the number of Subaru's I have owned, I've had two that even corporate engineers couldn't figure out the issues. Those occurred at different times over a six-year period but the expense and my time wasn't worth it. I had to move to a different brand with a growing family at that time.

To have two Ascents' in a row driving you bonkers, sorta-speak, is not worth your time in my opinion. Just last week a Subaru corporate engineer specializing in their Ascent CVTs' told me they do not have all the answers, yet - that includes the famous chirp. As my Ascent can shake a paint can due to all the "jerkiness" it randomly exhibits during acceleration. I can accept his admission and knowing that Subaru is struggling to find technicians for local dealers, I'm willing to work with Subaru - as long as they are upfront with me - and provide them with a detailed log. But my deep loyalty shortens rapidly when I look at what I paid for my Touring and I hesitate on driving it daily. Subaru knows how to make good cars if you can keep the faith.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snowgirl - I am sorry to hear about this. May I ask why your second Subaru Ascent is in the shop? (hope I didn't miss the reason posted elsewhere)

After the number of Subaru's I have owned, I've had two that even corporate engineers couldn't figure out the issues. Those occurred at different times over a six-year period but the expense and my time wasn't worth it. I had to move to a different brand with a growing family at that time.

To have two Ascents' in a row driving you bonkers, sorta-speak, is not worth your time in my opinion. Just last week a Subaru corporate engineer specializing in their Ascent CVTs' told me they do not have all the answers, yet - that includes the famous chirp. As my Ascent can shake a paint can due to all the "jerkiness" it randomly exhibits during acceleration. I can accept his admission and knowing that Subaru is struggling to find technicians for local dealers, I'm willing to work with Subaru - as long as they are upfront with me - and provide them with a detailed log. But my deep loyalty shortens rapidly when I look at what I paid for my Touring and I hesitate on driving it daily. Subaru knows how to make good cars if you can keep the faith.

Good Luck.
Thanks! This one they are classifying as electrical issues. At first the GPS/Maps would go away and the screen would completely black out. They done some updates that didn’t fix it, and then the radio would stay on but no sound whatsoever. Then the screen would go black again. Nothing would reset it and now it’s just gone. They wanted to try a new amplifier but they are on back order as they replace them with refurbished units. Subaru has now authorized the purchase of a new one and that should ship by end of next week. So we now qualify because of done being out of service 4 weeks, and looks like 2 more to go.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I had a Hummer out of service for several weeks. I drive 100+ miles a day so tried to put as many miles on the loaner as I could. I figured my car would last longer by putting lots of miles on the loaner.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks! This one they are classifying as electrical issues. At first the GPS/Maps would go away and the screen would completely black out. They done some updates that didn’t fix it, and then the radio would stay on but no sound whatsoever. Then the screen would go black again. Nothing would reset it and now it’s just gone. They wanted to try a new amplifier but they are on back order as they replace them with refurbished units. Subaru has now authorized the purchase of a new one and that should ship by end of next week. So we now qualify because of done being out of service 4 weeks, and looks like 2 more to go.
Have they told you why you can't continue driving the car while you wait for the new stuff to arrive? Have any of the issues affected the actual drivability of the car?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have they told you why you can't continue driving the car while you wait for the new stuff to arrive? Have any of the issues affected the actual drivability of the car?
They just said they wanted to leave me in a loaner until mine was fixed. As far as drivability it can still be driven I would assume, there is just a black screen and no sound. Maybe it’s a safety hazard because the alarms wouldn’t sound? I don’t know for sure. I know the radio, gps, CarPlay, blue tooth, etc are all not working.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can't imagine that would have any effect on either alerts or Eyesight. My Eyesight stuff displays on the screen between my gauges. Seems odd to me they would keep your vehicle for just head unit issues while they're just waiting for a new head unit or amp. I do know I've read previous threads where the amp under the passenger seat was causing head unit failures, but I don't remember that issue causing any problems with safety or drivability. Weird.

On topic, but in a different direction, perhaps you could research whether anyone offers an amp of some kind that would work as an aftermarket replacement. Another option might be to just see if it could be switched out with the "inferior" units in other trim levels that don't use the amp. I've never had a problem with my head unit in my premium trim level. It would be unfortunate if you had to get rid of your entire vehicle for problems with just the infotainment system.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my goal here is to just get this one back fixed. They are saying there is just not enough supply of them, and none they have replaced are ready to be sold as remanufactured. So waiting on a brand new one that won’t disrupt production lines and the red tape of getting that authorized through Subaru seemed to be the hold up. Which I’m thankful they are using new parts and not refurbished on a car this new.

In NC 20 days without your car is automatic lemon in you want to pursue it. They have opened a case with senior management so we will see what they offer this go around. The only good thing is that in the next 24000 miles/18 months anything that happens I can automatically revert back to it and have them by them car since I’ve already met the days out of service. So no real reason to worry about the car once I get it back. Just never expected to be in this situation twice with a brand new car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah my goal here is to just get this one back fixed. They are saying there is just not enough supply of them, and none they have replaced are ready to be sold as remanufactured. So waiting on a brand new one that won’t disrupt production lines and the red tape of getting that authorized through Subaru seemed to be the hold up. Which I’m thankful they are using new parts and not refurbished on a car this new.

In NC 20 days without your car is automatic lemon in you want to pursue it. They have opened a case with senior management so we will see what they offer this go around. The only good thing is that in the next 24000 miles/18 months anything that happens I can automatically revert back to it and have them by them car since I’ve already met the days out of service. So no real reason to worry about the car once I get it back. Just never expected to be in this situation twice with a brand new car.
Over on the Outback forums someone who just got back from training on the new model mentioned Subaru went with Denso instead of Harmon with the new 11.6 head unit. My 17 Impreza which has been flawless except for the HU which has been updated(mine only once) 3 times

·
Registered
646 Posts

Over on the Outback forums someone who just got back from training on the new model mentioned Subaru went with Denso instead of Harmon with the new 11.6 head unit. My 17 Impreza which has been flawless except for the HU which has been updated(mine only once) 3 times

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had been seeing the rumor that they were going with a different head unit supplier. This would make good sense since this one has been an issue for a while. It wasn’t a good fit for the 18-19 outback’s either. Our friend has been going though similar issues with this 18 outback. Sounds like just another poor quality parts choice.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had been seeing the rumor that they were going with a different head unit supplier. This would make good sense since this one has been an issue for a while. It wasn’t a good fit for the 18-19 outback’s either. Our friend has been going though similar issues with this 18 outback. Sounds like just another poor quality parts choice.
Also, I was told the current 8 inch HU from Harmon If I had to purchase it is 4k retail- Ouch!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oh, Snowgirl, I am so heartbroken to hear that you're still having troubles - now with your replacement Ascent, no less!

If you truly absolutely love the vehicle that much - as a car-lover (yes, this extends to my current Ascent, which is really only the third vehicle I've fallen in love with, ever [keeping in mind that we're on our 9th Subaru since 2005, and I've been driving since 1991]) myself - I truly believe that I would be taking the leap of faith on the third.

What are the odds, right?

Whatever you decide, you deserve to end up with a reliable and long-lasting vehicle, whatever vehicle that may be, this next time around!

What I've learned as a car-lover is that no matter what, if you're not happy-in-love when you open that garage door in the morning, you're always going to have that gnawing at the back of your mind. Yes,, we're all reasonable adults - we can justify our purchases, particularly major ones like a new vehicle, in any number of ways. But as a car-lover, I know now that if I'm not looking forward to seeing my car after a few hours of not seeing it, then there's always going to be something missing in that relationship. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, Snowgirl, I am so heartbroken to hear that you're still having troubles - now with your replacement Ascent, no less!

If you truly absolutely love the vehicle that much - as a car-lover (yes, this extends to my current Ascent, which is really only the third vehicle I've fallen in love with, ever [keeping in mind that we're on our 9th Subaru since 2005, and I've been driving since 1991]) myself - I truly believe that I would be taking the leap of faith on the third.

What are the odds, right?

Whatever you decide, you deserve to end up with a reliable and long-lasting vehicle, whatever vehicle that may be, this next time around!

What I've learned as a car-lover is that no matter what, if you're not happy-in-love when you open that garage door in the morning, you're always going to have that gnawing at the back of your mind. Yes,, we're all reasonable adults - we can justify our purchases, particularly major ones like a new vehicle, in any number of ways. But as a car-lover, I know now that if I'm not looking forward to seeing my car after a few hours of not seeing it, then there's always going to be something missing in that relationship. :)
I’ve tried to look at other cars but I keep coming to the Ascent! When it’s gone I still wake up hoping they will call just like when I ordered the first one. It’s been an almost year nightmare I’m ready to have over. I’m already assigned a different senior manager so I’m hoping that’s a start! I just truly want this car but don’t want to be naive after 2 bad ones. Maybe I will get this one back in a couple weeks and never have another issue. Just hard to say.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts