Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had had enough of the wandering and twitchy steering from my 2020 Ascent limited. It would wear us out driving down the interstate in about two or three hours. I performed alignments as a mechanic quite a few years ago and began to feel here was an alignment issue when I noticed the outside edges of my tires were wearing and "feathering" from the outside edges to the center of the tire. I took it to the dealership and told them of the problem. They scheduled it for an alignment. I spoke to the tech who performed the alignment. He told me the front end had negative camber, in other words looking at the tire from the front of the vehicle it was leaning in at the top. It was toed in, which would be like walking pigeon towed. He said the rear axle was also toed in. He told me they did this to give it more of an aggressive feel in the cornering. The drawback is twitchy wandering steering in the straight line, increased tire wear and a knock to your fuel mileage. Well the proof was in the pudding. I left the dealership and hit the interstate at 75 and it was like HEAVEN! The car drove beautifully in a straight line with very little to no correction. Going through corners was much smoother as there is no constant correction to the wheel. Last but not least less road noise, a tire rolling with less friction makes less noise. And also now I can use Lane Keep Assist without it always trying to correct my driving. The car just flat drives awesome now. I will post the results of the alignment before and after when I get the paperwork. The wife is very happy!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,081 Posts
I finally had had enough of the wandering and twitchy steering from my 2020 Ascent limited. It would wear us out driving down the interstate in about two or three hours. I performed alignments as a mechanic quite a few years ago and began to feel here was an alignment issue when I noticed the outside edges of my tires were wearing and "feathering" from the outside edges to the center of the tire. I took it to the dealership and told them of the problem. They scheduled it for an alignment. I spoke to the tech who performed the alignment. He told me the front end had negative camber, in other words looking at the tire from the front of the vehicle it was leaning in at the top. It was toed in, which would be like walking pigeon towed. He said the rear axle was also toed in. He told me they did this to give it more of an aggressive feel in the cornering. The drawback is twitchy wandering steering in the straight line, increased tire wear and a knock to your fuel mileage. Well the proof was in the pudding. I left the dealership and hit the interstate at 75 and it was like HEAVEN! The car drove beautifully in a straight line with very little to no correction. Going through corners was much smoother as there is no constant correction to the wheel. Last but not least less road noise, a tire rolling with less friction makes less noise. And also now I can use Lane Keep Assist without it always trying to correct my driving. The car just flat drives awesome now. I will post the results of the alignment before and after when I get the paperwork. The wife is very happy!
Love to see the after alignment readout. I was planning to complain when I go for next oil change. I keep lka turned off to reduce the highway white- knuckle. Driving the ascent i always figure everyone behind me thinks I'm drunk. If this can be resolved, I'll be much happier with our first Subaru.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love to see the after alignment readout. I was planning to complain when I go for next oil change. I keep lka turned off to reduce the highway white- knuckle. Driving the ascent i always figure everyone behind me thinks I'm drunk. If this can be resolved, I'll be much happier with our first Subaru.
I can tell you I felt the same way but after everything is lined up i think you will love your car again! I will grab the sheet out of the globe box and post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the sheet also. Ours goes to the dealer for an alignment tomorrow morning. It's always felt twitchy to me, though perhaps not excessively so. Just more than we're used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts