Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New owner here (just performed a 1,000mi oil change) and this is our first Subaru, so this could simply be the result of having to "learn" the quirks of a new brand. However, on our Ascent, the turn signals will not auto-cancel in either direction at any less than a 90 degree turn; and even 90 degree turns don't quite do it sometimes. A service advisor was asked about this behavior at our 1,000mi oil change, but simply demurred; indicating that no one else has reported a similar issue and that she was not aware of any means for adjusting the points of cancellation in the steering wheel rotation assembly. Admittedly, despite searching, I haven't seen anything like this being reported on the forum; so perhaps the behavior is proper/appropriate..but wanted to reach out directly to you all.

Does anyone else's Ascent seem to require quite a bit of turning of the steering wheel to cancel out a turn signal?

Is anyone knowledgeable about how Subaru's turn signal cancellation mechanism(s) work and/or if they can be adjusted?

Appreciate any/all input. Certainly glad to be a part of this group as I've learned so much just by lurking pre-purchase; and continue to do so now, while thoroughly enjoying the new vehicle!

--DC

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd have to think about that. From just thinking it in my head a 1/2 turn seems to be the point where i think it catches and would turn off the signal upon straightening out the wheel.

Reactions: DamienChaos

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is the 3 second turn signal option - where you just push the lever for a quick lane change. I think that might be turned on or off. I haven't really noticed an issue on corners except for shallow turns but my last car was an Outback so I might just be used to Subaru tuning.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Hi all,
New owner here (just performed a 1,000mi oil change) and this is our first Subaru, so this could simply be the result of having to "learn" the quirks of a new brand. However, on our Ascent, the turn signals will not auto-cancel in either direction at any less than a 90 degree turn; and even 90 degree turns don't quite do it sometimes. A service advisor was asked about this behavior at our 1,000mi oil change, but simply demurred; indicating that no one else has reported a similar issue and that she was not aware of any means for adjusting the points of cancellation in the steering wheel rotation assembly. Admittedly, despite searching, I haven't seen anything like this being reported on the forum; so perhaps the behavior is proper/appropriate..but wanted to reach out directly to you all.

Does anyone else's Ascent seem to require quite a bit of turning of the steering wheel to cancel out a turn signal?

Is anyone knowledgeable about how Subaru's turn signal cancellation mechanism(s) work and/or if they can be adjusted?

Appreciate any/all input. Certainly glad to be a part of this group as I've learned so much just by lurking pre-purchase; and continue to do so now, while thoroughly enjoying the new vehicle!

--DC
In my opinion the turn signal cancellation operates just as it does in my other vehicles, both Subaru and non-Subarus. Of course, my other car is a Forester, so who knows - maybe the setting is a "Subaru thing." My Subarus self cancel in less-than-ninety-degree turns, so you might want to test drive another Ascent at the dealership to see if it's the norm or if your car is an anomaly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a pretty easy shallow turn out of my neighborhood to the main street, maybe 120 degrees, and my turn signal cancels itself about 90-95% of the time. Haven't ever had it not turn off on a full 90 degree turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on your new Ascent! May I ask why you changed the oil at 1,000 miles?

My first ever new vehicle also had a recommended break-in period of 1,000mi. I was young and had nothing better to do, so I changed the oil at the 1,000mi mark. After all, I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I sent a sample of the oil off to Blackstone and the report came back with >100ppm of Aluminum (block material). That was WAY high and worried me; but after the second change at 3,000mi, the Al content was down to a more normal <30ppm. I thought that perhaps the originally high Al content could have been the result of tiny pieces of the engine wearing off during the break-in period. Admittedly, that could be a completely erroneous presumption as I'm certainly no expert. Nonetheless, changing the oil in any new engine after the recommended break-in period became my standard practice. It's just something I do; not a recommendation I make to anyone else and I'm certainly not a proponent of any particular routine. But, that's the answer to your question (likely with more information than desired!).

--DC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all; appreciate the feedback! Will gauge the rotation to see if it cancels on a half turn of the wheel. I'm betting there's just something a bit wonky with our Ascent. With everything else being perfect, I've zero complaints if that's the worst issue. Having previously never owned anything other than Pontiacs, I'm used to WAY more issues popping up in the first 1,000mi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To follow up, after paying closer attention to steering wheel rotation than the arc of the roadway/turn, I can confirm that turn signal cancellation requires a quarter turn (90 degree rotation from center) of the steering wheel, so operation appears to be normal. Apparently I'm just used to the Pontiac I've driven for the past 12 years; which, after testing, cancels turn signals upon a 45 degree rotation from center. That likely makes sense given that vehicle's low (tighter) steering ratio.

While discussing the matter with my significant other, I received (unsolicited) feedback that I tend to "use the whole lane" when taking a turn/corner. So, perhaps any malfunction here is in the component of the vehicle sitting in the driver's seat.

Thanks to all for your feedback. However, before I go back to lurking, let me again take the opportunity to say how much I appreciate all the knowledge and expertise being shared in this community!

--DC

·
Registered
92 Posts
I saw this yesterday and tried to pay attention to my turns while driving home last night. Seemed to "click" and then disengage any time the steering wheel reached that 90 degree mark. Since you found the same i would assume that is the "standard".

Never really thought about it before i saw this post! I know there is one spot on my commute where i always have to manually turn it off but its a highway off ramp so it makes sense that i'm not reaching that 90 degree point.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I switched over from a Toyota and I have not noticed any difference at all. There is one turn on my daily commute that the turn signal does not go off, but it didn't on my Toyota either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'm not too impressed with the touch-signal feature. blinker only flashes twice in my ascent, then turns off. hardly enough flashes to warn anyone. needs to be longer; so i leave that feature off and hold it down manually. good luck with your new one; you're going to love it. i love mine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i'm not too impressed with the touch-signal feature. blinker only flashes twice in my ascent, then turns off. hardly enough flashes to warn anyone. needs to be longer; so i leave that feature off and hold it down manually. good luck with your new one; you're going to love it. i love mine.

Yeah, I don't feel like the 2 blinks even give me enough time to switch lanes, much less warn others. I, like you, don't use this feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also noticed something "different" about the signal cancel in our Ascent vs. our F150. There's a specific turn on my daily commute where the signal cancels in the F150 but not the Ascent. At first I thought I was just imagining it, but after reading this thread, I felt better. I think it's just a difference in turning ratio, and I have to swing wider with the truck, hence there is enough steering wheel turn to cancel vs in the Ascent. Have to say after driving the F150 for a few years I love the turning radius on the Ascent - so much easier to pull in/out of parking spaces. :smile:

·
Registered
777 Posts
For me, the Ascent requires a more significant turn of the steering wheel to cancel the turn signal. On multiple roads near my house, when I turn onto them in the Ascent, the signal will remain on, whereas every car I've owned prior to this, the signal will shut off on those same turns. I've gotten used to checking the turn signal which more often in the Ascent after I've taken a corner with the signal on, so I'm not driving down the street with my signal on.... I have not had any issues with the amount of time the signal displays when tapping to change lanes on the highway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same, it is way more than the Sonata or Ram on the same route. There is a 2 lane turn on my commute and I have to turn it off every time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Every vehicle I've owned has had it's own "personality" relative to the blinker cancel after a turn. It will be interesting to see how the Ascent behaves compared to my current Grand Cherokee which is different than our 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight which is slightly different than our 2011 Outback Limited. It's a mechanical thing in the steering wheel, I believe, and how the wheel is setup for a given vehicle affects the behavior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.