Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don’t see why the volume indicator has to be splashed across the whole screen then wait the fraction of a second to have access again.My ‘16 Outback displayed it at the top out of the way ,the way it should be.
C’mon Subaru you hear us!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Every (I mean, every) one of the rental cars I drive each week has volume indicators that either take up only partial screen space that doesn't impede simultaneous access to other controls (radio presets, skips, etc.), or lightly ghosts over the screen allowing full visibility and access.

This isn't a critical safety issue at all. But Subaru would be well advised that this implementation shows C-team spec/execution that is annoying to many customers. It's a brand thing, Subaru.

Someone technical tested this, looked at the spec line, and checked it off as Verified. Someone user-oriented tested this, wrote it up as Acceptable to users and brand, and checked it off as Validated. The second person needs to retake their Human Factors coursework, and be accompanied by the Product Manager who wrote the spec to begin with. If this was written by a contract partner, it's still your brand, and the same people are responsible for Not Annoying The Customer. Please fix this.

F.S.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Yes it is a dumb design. Only car I have seen that the info system does this. It rates up there with the other two dumb designs which are; 1) Having to hit the unlock button to access the gas cap. 2) Having to hit the moon roof close button twice to actually close it. I wonder how many Ascent owners have thought their roof was closed only to find water after it rained because it wasn't closed.

Makes you wonder what SOA was thinking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Totally agree....very annoying! There's plenty of room available towards the bottom of the screen for a simple horizontal segmented bar to display the volume. And how about incorporating a volume normalizer--the AM volume is like 40% of the Sirius/XM volume.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Maybe one of these settings will fix problem number 1.

View attachment 1521
The car and gas door does unlock when the car goes into park. I should have written it better. The dumb issue is the car has to be unlocked to access the gas cap. This is a personal/passenger safety and theft issue. In our area just a couple of months ago they were warning public about thieves stealing from cars at the pumps. Videos shown had thieves grabbing cell phones, purses, and in one case stealing the car itself. In a couple of the videos the thieves got in and out of the car so fast because the owner was on the passenger side of the car, back turned as they were working the pump. Now I know it's dumb to leave keys in the ignition but what female driving the Ascent wants to have to take her purse to the pump so it doesn't get stolen? I leave my cell phone in the car when pumping gas. I always locked my car when I get out to pump gas. Now I have to have it unlocked, then lock it once I open the cap and then unlock it. Its just a dumb design.

Hey SOA. Simple remedy. There are at least three switch panels open on the bottom left of the dash next to the dimmer switch. Why don't you put the gas access release switch there?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
This isn't a critical safety issue at all. But Subaru would be well advised that this implementation shows C-team spec/execution that is annoying to many customers. It's a brand thing, Subaru.
A few of us have already written Subaru, and I plan on writing Harman Kardon as well. Maybe HK will update things in the next release.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Who actually looks at the volume level,really.Thats why there’s a control on the SW,you raise and lower as you listen.
I actually do, like when I switch from radio to media, and I hear nothing. I fiddle with volume first since checking if my phone's pandora is playing is a little more involved than flicking the volume paddle or knob. So a visual on whether volume is at 0 or 20 or 40 is helpful there... just not a full screen volume display that disables access to everything else on the screen!
F.S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that the full-screen volume display is the most consistently annoying thing about the Ascent. When I adjust the volume, the screen changes and that instinctively attracts my attention, which distracts me from keeping my eyes on the road. As was said, I don't need numbers to tell me if I want the volume softer or louder.

What's most annoying is why isn't this an adjustable option? This is a smart car, so why is it too dumb to be able to turn off a display.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If we're concerned about keeping our eyes on the road why is the only thing you can do to the radio when listening to Media is next track and volume?
Everything else you need to touch the screen. Browsing 360gig of music is downright dangerous. I like to browse by folder and the stupid thing doesn't even remember where you were browsing and always starts over at the root.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find this pretty annoying when browsing through my presets, especially since Sirus comes in about 50% louder than an AM or FM station. I like to browse and adjust the volume depending on what's on while I look around, but the 3-4 second delay in which I can't change the channel again is frustrating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts