Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to turn off lane departure audio alerts? I'd like to keep the dash lights but turn off audio. I've been through the isight menu on the steering column and found nothing for lane departure. Only frontal assist and RAB.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,190 Posts
Ascent has different menu's. I do not find any way to accomplish this. Subaru we need a software update!
And while they update the software to turn off the audio alert for lane departure, how about adding a selection to add an audio alert for blind spot warning. My other cars with blind spot warning have the flashing light AND audio alert for the blind spot. While not every variance in lane placement needs a warning, every vehicle in your blind spot should.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,200 Posts
how about adding a selection to add an audio alert for blind spot warning. My other cars with blind spot warning have the flashing light AND audio alert for the blind spot.
Agree...I've mentioned this previously a few times including in the "letter to Subaru" discussion. I really miss that audible blind spot warning as it saved my bacon multiple times when I was traveling frequently between here and DC before retirement.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,190 Posts
Agree...I've mentioned this previously a few times including in the "letter to Subaru" discussion. I really miss that audible blind spot warning as it saved my bacon multiple times when I was traveling frequently between here and DC before retirement.
The Telluride/Palisade have active blind spot warning. If you signal your lane change and there's someone in your blindspot when you start to move over, it steers you back into your lane along with the flashing and audible alert. My friend has a Telluride and I tried it. It works. Surprising that Subaru, as the safety company didn't come up with this.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
The Telluride/Palisade have active blind spot warning. If you signal your lane change and there's someone in your blindspot when you start to move over, it steers you back into your lane along with the flashing and audible alert. My friend has a Telluride and I tried it. It works. Surprising that Subaru, as the safety company didn't come up with this.
My MY12 Grand Cherokee also featured the audible warning. It's not a new thing and I agree that it's odd that Subaru didn't include it because it adds to the safety factor. Lighting lights only doesn't help if you are glancing in the other direction because of other traffic factors.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
I HATE the warning beep. Blind spot monitoring is not yet fool proof, and too many people with cars with the beeps don't look any more.

Subaru adds or removes features based on a ridiculous amount of safety data they collect and analyze. I have a distinct feeling that the safety data shows it's less safe, hence the very system that generates all sorts of other beeps, is very specifically skipping beeps for blind spot detection (think about it... it beeps when the exact same system detects rear cross traffic in reverse).

If I am correct (as opposed to having dug though and translated some Subaru Japan document), I hate it for the same reason as their data shows. In other words, my experiences are not anecdotal, but instead match the data.

I fully know that good drivers get penalized because of that. I'd like to think I'm one of those drivers who get penalized. It's not that I don't like or want the beep, it's that I don't like the way enough others drive who have it. 😞

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
I guess this is one of the very, very, VERY rare times I'll have to disagree with you my friend...I'd possibly be dead right now had that audible warning not clued me into high speed weaving that just wasn't visible in the mirrors when I had my JGC and did a regular run between here and the DC area before I retired. The audible beeps only occured when the turn signal was on for changing lanes...it was not a constant warning and therefore, was not annoying. I agree it would be unacceptable if it sounded when just driving straight, however. "How" something is implemented is pretty important.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
The audible beeps only occured when the turn signal was on for changing lanes...
I know when it beeps... I do drive other cars now and then, and before my Subies (but, don't tell anyone). 🤣 😉

I've watched people signal, not hear the beep, and change lanes, because their car didn't detect the car next to them.

I revised my comment just before you submitted your post, btw... (last paragraph).

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm sure they have data to back up their decisions, but considering the Ascent beeps for things such as ACC engagement and hatch open close, I'd prefer an audible tone in addition to the flashing light when signaling to indicate a car in my blind spot. Loved it in cars I had previously. Would also like audible warning for the front when parking ( I know there's a camera on the touring, but I still prefer the audible warning).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think that whether you like or hate the warning beep is an individual preference which is why Subaru should definitely make it an option so that we can decide for ourselves. I feel that each feature should have options so that we can customize our cars to suit our personal preferences. I don't want manufacturers making these decisions for us and offering no individual choices.

I feel very strongly about this and it will affect my selection of any vehicle I purchase in the future.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,190 Posts
I HATE the warning beep. Blind spot monitoring is not yet fool proof, and too many people with cars with the beeps don't look any more.

Subaru adds or removes features based on a ridiculous amount of safety data they collect and analyze. I have a distinct feeling that the safety data shows it's less safe, hence the very system that generates all sorts of other beeps, is very specifically skipping beeps for blind spot detection (think about it... it beeps when the exact same system detects rear cross traffic in reverse).

If I am correct (as opposed to having dug though and translated some Subaru Japan document), I hate it for the same reason as their data shows. In other words, my experiences are not anecdotal, but instead match the data.

I fully know that good drivers get penalized because of that. I'd like to think I'm one of those drivers who get penalized. It's not that I don't like or want the beep, it's that I don't like the way enough others drive who have it. 😞
Sorry, have to disagree too. I just don't see the light being safer than the beep. The same drivers who don't signal their turns and lane changes might be the same people who don't check their mirrors or over their shoulder and that would make them unlikely to check a light too.

I have been in situations demanding eyes front where having the audio alert saved an accident. Looking aside for the flasher would have increased reaction time.

If you want to argue statistics, there's always going to be drivers that won't use or react correctly to the nannies. I have done driver training for others and have found that many drivers have the exact opposite response to antilock brakes than the situation requires. While the antilock might save these people from minor skids that they're unaware are happening, when it kicks in for a panic stop, many people take their for off the brake when the pedal starts pulsing. Most people don't test or even know that these systems are present and the first time they kick in they panic and wind up hitting something because they don't know how to use the nannies.

Just give us a choice, please. I really don't need LKA beeping every time it doesn't like the line I'm taking around a curve.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I really don't need LKA beeping every time it doesn't like the line I'm taking around a curve.

I couldn't agree more with this. I have mine set to autocorrect, so I get the tug. I want to be specific here, because I do like the system, but on the highway, it is the most (overly)sensitive safety system I have ever used. But I keep it on because that one split second when something unexpected happens could be the time I need it.
I still prefer to have all safety systems available to me, even though I am a very engaged driver, and I do love driving.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Sorry, have to disagree too. I just don't see the light being safer than the beep. The same drivers who don't signal their turns and lane changes might be the same people who don't check their mirrors or over their shoulder and that would make them unlikely to check a light too.

Just give us a choice, please. I really don't need LKA beeping every time it doesn't like the line I'm taking around a curve.
One has to look at the mirror to see the light on a Subie. One does not have to look at all, with the beep: turn on signal, then, if no beep, change lanes without looking.

I wouldn't mind the beep, but, I always look, regardless of whether the car I'm driving flashes, beeps or does nothing at all. It's not the beep itself that's the problem. It's not the beep itself I am against. It's what it makes drivers do.

Anyway, because of bad drivers, offering a choice doesn't make a safer car. Sucks for the rest of us. Safety stats are based on what people do. If people start using their mirrors more often, then the stats will change.

I have been in situations demanding eyes front where having the audio alert saved an accident. Looking aside for the flasher would have increased reaction time.
Again, it's about the data. Sure, that's true that such things happen. Same goes for checking, no one being there, and then the guy two lanes over decides to swerve in. The beep helps with that and other scenarios too. But, if the data shows that less accidents occur with a light and no beep than with a beep and light or with just a beep, then, in aggregate, safer is no beep.

If you want to argue statistics, there's always going to be drivers that won't use or react correctly to the nannies.
I don't want to argue statistics. We all know insurance and safety is based on them, no matter what we think, want, prefer or demand. It will always be the bad drivers who are the lowest common denominator in the equation. And, where there's enough of them, laws happen, safety features happen (or don't happen), etc, etc, etc.

If everyone on the road was an Andretti, there wouldn't be a speed limit. Instead, the worst drivers among us continue to drive the speed limit down in many areas. I don't like that either.

So... full circle, again, it's not the beep I don't like. It's the horrible drivers who think they're good drivers, who will refuse to look, and instead listen for the beep. It's not that we have a speed limit that bothers me... it's that the speed limit is dragged down by those same groups of drivers. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
One the previous vehicle I mentioned, the light was on the mirror just like on my Ascent and was always lit when something was detected within the blindspot area. So most of the time, it would be light-only just as with the Subaru. Only when the signal was on did the warning tone sound if a vehicle suddenly entered the blindspot area after the driver indicated and someone ignored the blinker. I actually had someone do that to me today in town. I said bad words... ;) ...loudly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts