Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2019 Ascent for my wife but really for me lets be honest. My question is, I go hunting and light trail riding in the mountains and some have fairly shallow creek crossings. With the turbo places so low my question is would it get damaged if submerged in water? My concern is it being really hot then getting quenched or any other damaged that may happen. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2019 Ascent for my wife but really for me lets be honest. My question is, I go hunting and light trail riding in the mountains and some have fairly shallow creek crossings. With the turbo places so low my question is would it get damaged if submerged in water? My concern is it being really hot then getting quenched or any other damaged that may happen. Thanks in advance.
It’s not a shallow crossing if you have to worry about the Turbo getting water in/on it. I wouldn’t push it. If you drown the Turbo/engine you’re looking at a very expensive tow and repair.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It’s not a shallow crossing if you have to worry about the Turbo getting water in/on it. I wouldn’t push it. If you drown the Turbo/engine you’re looking at a very expensive tow and repair.
The Ascent turbo is at the very bottom of the engine bay. Just slightly above the frame rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Robert pointed out. The turbo is very low, just above frame rails. Probably no more than 10" from the ground. 12" water crossing is not very deep. I have a hard time believing Subaru would put a turbo so low if it was vulnerable to water damage. But I'd hate to find out how expensive that repair bill would be, but I do want to cross the creek.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Like Robert pointed out. The turbo is very low, just above frame rails. Probably no more than 10" from the ground. 12" water crossing is not very deep. I have a hard time believing Subaru would put a turbo so low if it was vulnerable to water damage. But I'd hate to find out how expensive that repair bill would be, but I do want to cross the creek.
I hope nothing bad will happen... if so, it's too late for me. :ROFLMAO:

16m33s mark in case the forum drops the time code... keep in mind I do not suggest anyone puts their Ascents through the things I've put mine through. Do so at your own risk. ;)
(no, seriously)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well that answers my question on the turbo location.People would ask and I would just say “down there somewhere “ 🤷‍♂️
Thanks again Robert

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Looks like a very accessible area for swapping in and out a turbo,easier with a lift of course.
It's also farther away from things that would get baked by the extreme heat. I am sure there's times mine's been literally glowing.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I posted some of my water crossings in this post

I crossed them all without issues. I cross slowly to minimize any issues. I was not in a group and if I got in trouble I would be on my own. The turbo if really hot would have issues getting wet. It is best to be gentle with it so it will not be glowing red when water eventually hits it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I posted some of my water crossings in this post

I crossed them all without issues. I cross slowly to minimize any issues. I was not in a group and if I got in trouble I would be on my own. The turbo if really hot would have issues getting wet. It is best to be gentle with it so it will not be glowing red when water eventually hits it.
Yep! They seem to be pretty solid turbos. Over a decade in use, I can't find a single post about them cracking, and that's even with two at a time being used in the F150 EcoBoosts, and surely being beat the heck out of in them.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Robert M, if I ever make it up to New Jersey I will need you to show me the trails. That looked like a lot of fun.
Definitely! We also do PA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.