Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
That the intercooler and it's not really a concern. However, how did they get there. Like a radiator, you don't want to abuse it, use it for a tool tray or anything like that. My intercoolers have marks from some road debris that gets forced through the scoop or some rubbing from the splitter. But a car with no hood scoop should not be banged up for any reason. I bet someone leaned on it with the heal of their palm.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Based on visual estimation of the amount of fins bent, it's only 0.8% of the total fins. It's not suppose to happen and therefore you need to bend it back. Use a small flat screwdriver and bend it while the metal is hot (malleable).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also, if you do decide to straighten the bent fins (which is a delicate process - I worked in a facility that manufactured heat exchangers such as this), be sure to not damage the tubes next to the fins. The tubes (the metal lines that run parallel to the fins) keep the intake air charge inside the intercooler. If you were to poke a hole in one of the tubes, you will create a leak and have worse issues than a few bent fins.

If it were me, I would leave the fins as is. Bugs and other items will work there way through the intercooler hood ducting and damage some fins over time. You may lose a very very small (imperceptible) amount of peak efficiency of the intercooler due to small area of bent fins, but nothing to worry about. Enjoy your Ascent!

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just bend them back, and you'll be fine. I find small rocks and such on my intercooler all the time in my XT. If they get caught just right they'll go right through the grille, up the ducting, and hit the intercooler. It happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
...par for the course w/an air to air intercooler and radiators in general.

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4
1 - 10 of 10 Posts